Masthead Sheaves

  • Michael Smalter
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 2, 2008
      I've had my 1997 MkII for 2 seasons. I need to use the winch to fully hoist
      the main and jib (about the last 1/3 of the way). The discussion group has
      told others with similar comments that the sheaves probably need replacing.
      I'm storing the boat with the mast up over the winter, so I can't inspect
      the current sheaves. I've found 3 options:

      Catalina Yachts $8.56 for Delrin (not sure if there is a bearing
      insert-Part #16283)
      Catalina Direct $14.24 for Delrin (with white bearing insert)
      Catalina Direct $39.95 for Aluminum with Torlon ball bearings

      I'm leaning towards the ball bearings. Has anyone bought them and been
      dissatisfied? Any other input?

      My wife thinks I should pay the yard to install them. How hard are they to
      install? On my C22, there was a long pin with a cotter pin in one end that
      needed to be removed.

      Thanks in advance for the advice.

      Mike Smalter
    • Don W

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 2, 2008
          A year or so ago I talked with a rigger about changing our sheaves.  They had not been changed since getting our boat new in 1/92.

          He said he would not attempt to do the job with the mast stepped because the possibility of losing a part down the inside of the mast was too great.  And then he would be obligated to unstep the mast.

          When we were in the yard last year, with mast unstepped, my wife and I did the job and even then it took our four hands and very careful attention to make the change.

          The new sheaves came with sleeves (loose) in the centers; no bearings.  We reused the rods that go through the sleeves/sheave centers.  My wife and I have different memories of what holds the rods in place.  Possibly cotter pins.  Or another type of pin that I think also starts with a "C", but that's all I remember.  Or maybe they were split rings.  During the middle of the night tonight the name will come to me.

          In any event in doing it ourselves we understood why the rigger said what he said.

          Maybe there is a type of sheave different from what we worked with which is much easier to change out.

          We side with your wife.

          Don Jaques
          Glory
          No. 235

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 2, 2008
            Don.

            For what it is worth, I had the sheaves changed last year.  The rigger at the West Marine store near Lake Union in Seattle did the job with the mast up, no problem.  Stepping the mast on a C28 is a big job best done with a crane; I'm not sure I would do it to change the sheaves unless there is another reason, as there was in your case.

            Carl Scandella
            s/v Endorifins #295

[...]

            **************************************
            See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)
          • Steve Johnson
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 3, 2008
              I have installed two of the aluminum with torlon ball bearings on my c28 and would not consider anything else, they work great and worth every penny! They really reduce the friction and make life much easier. The installation was fairly easy, a long pin with a cotter pin on the end, there are a couple of aluminum spacers in between. I did mine when the mast was lying down on the deck with no problem, I could see that would be difficult with it up. I got mine at Catalinadirect.com

              Cheers,
              Steve
              Trinity #77

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Alex,

                  I did not need to change out the ones at the base of the mast as my mast is the early single spreader design with exit slots about five feet above the deck with a base organizer and blocks.  I dont have any high friction areas other than when the halyards exit the slots. It would be nice to add ball bearing sheaves to the deck organizers also....that is on the list of things to do.

                  Steve Johnson
                  Trinity #77

                  To: catalina28@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Mike
                    Last season I changed all four of my sheaves with the black delrin
                    with a stainless sleeve that I got from Catlina. I did it with the
                    mast up off a bosuns chair, which means you can only do two at a
                    time, then come down,change to another halyard, and then do the
                    other two. You must be careful removing the old ones and positioning
                    the new ones because you can drop parts down the mast which I did
                    (dropped a sleeve and had to order another) It wasn't that hard,
                    just awkward.I didn't want to drop my mast mid season to do the job,
                    but if you can do it when the mast is down I would suggest that.
                    Replacing them made a world of difference in raising sail. The old
                    ones were totally worn out. I also would say that the aluminum ones
                    sound even better. Didn't know they were available.

                    Good Luck
                    Bernie Noon
                    Rum Monkey # 293

                    --- In catalina28@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Smalter" <msmalter@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I've had my 1997 MkII for 2 seasons. I need to use the winch to
                    fully hoist
                    > the main and jib (about the last 1/3 of the way). The discussion
                    group has
                    > told others with similar comments that the sheaves probably need
                    replacing.
                    > I'm storing the boat with the mast up over the winter, so I can't
                    inspect
                    > the current sheaves. I've found 3 options:
                    >
                    > Catalina Yachts $8.56 for Delrin (not sure if there is a
                    bearing
                    > insert-Part #16283)
                    > Catalina Direct $14.24 for Delrin (with white bearing insert)
                    > Catalina Direct $39.95 for Aluminum with Torlon ball bearings
                    >
                    > I'm leaning towards the ball bearings. Has anyone bought them and
                    been
                    > dissatisfied? Any other input?
                    >
                    > My wife thinks I should pay the yard to install them. How hard are
                    they to
                    > install? On my C22, there was a long pin with a cotter pin in one
                    end that
                    > needed to be removed.
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance for the advice.
                    >

                    > Mike Smalter

                  • Pat and Don Davis
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 28, 2008
                      Mike:

                      I changed my sheaves last summer using the black delrin and stainless
                      sleeves from Catalina. We did it with the mast up and experience was
                      similar to Bernie's. We lucked out and did not drop anything down the mast
                      but I must say hoisting someone up the mast on worn out sheaves is nor an
                      easy job.

                      Hopefully, the new sheaves will last. Certainly the addition of the
                      stainless steel sleeves and the more UV resistant black delrin will be a
                      improvement. Having said that if I had known the ball bearing sheaves were
                      available I would have used them.

                      Don Davis
                      Synergy C28#2

                      > Last season I changed all four of my sheaves with the black delrin
                      > with a stainless sleeve that I got from Catlina. I did it with the
                      > mast up off a bosuns chair, which means you can only do two at a
                      > time, then come down,change to another halyard, and then do the
                      > other two. You must be careful removing the old ones and positioning
                      > the new ones because you can drop parts down the mast which I did
                      > (dropped a sleeve and had to order another) It wasn't that hard,
                      > just awkward.I didn't want to drop my mast mid season to do the job,
                      > but if you can do it when the mast is down I would suggest that.
                      > Replacing them made a world of difference in raising sail. The old
                      > ones were totally worn out. I also would say that the aluminum ones
                      > sound even better. Didn't know they were available.
                      >
                      > Good Luck
                      > Bernie Noon
                      > Rum Monkey # 293
                      >
                      > --- In catalina28@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Smalter" <msmalter@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I've had my 1997 MkII for 2 seasons. I need to use the winch to
                      > fully hoist
                      >> the main and jib (about the last 1/3 of the way). The discussion
                      > group has
                      >> told others with similar comments that the sheaves probably need
                      > replacing.
                      >> I'm storing the boat with the mast up over the winter, so I can't
                      > inspect
                      >> the current sheaves. I've found 3 options:
                      >>
                      >> Catalina Yachts $8.56 for Delrin (not sure if there is a
                      > bearing
                      >> insert-Part #16283)
                      >> Catalina Direct $14.24 for Delrin (with white bearing insert)
                      >> Catalina Direct $39.95 for Aluminum with Torlon ball bearings
                      >>
                      >> I'm leaning towards the ball bearings. Has anyone bought them and
                      > been
                      >> dissatisfied? Any other input?
                      >>
                      >> My wife thinks I should pay the yard to install them. How hard are
                      > they to
                      >> install? On my C22, there was a long pin with a cotter pin in one
                      > end that
                      >> needed to be removed.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks in advance for the advice.
                      >>

                      >> Mike Smalter
                      >>

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Joe Sawyer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 28, 2008
                        Fellow C28 Owners;

                        I had a rigger replace my masthead sheaves last month with the mast up. He has his own
                        climbing gear, a multi-part block & tackle he hauls to the masthead. The originals (white
                        plastic) had totally deteriorated after 10 years in the Florida sun. The new ones are the black
                        delrin with a metal sleeve obtained from Catalina Direct for about $15 each. They make a
                        huge difference in the effort needed to raise the main.

                        Thanks to the folks on this forum for sharing information on this topic. It helped a lot.

                        Joe Sawyer
                        Magic, C28 Mk II #528
                      • Ray McGuire
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 26, 2009
                          Has anyone experienced replaceing these with the (oval side mast and round sail slides in an internal track system). Catilina direct points out the sheaves they have will not work. Sure would like to know where to get the proper sheaves before proceeding with this task. I am open for suggestions
                          Thanks, Ray McGuire C-28 1999
                        • Moira & Mike
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 26, 2009
                            A couple of suggestions:

                            Call Catalina Direct and ask them where you can get the sheaves for your mast.

                            Call Garhauer Marine. They supply most of the hardware to Catalina Yachts.

                            Call Catalina Yachts.

                            Wait till the end of the season, drop the mast, and measure a sheave.

                            Good Luck.

                            Mike Smalter #539 1997

                            Has anyone experienced replaceing these with the (oval side mast and round sail slides in an internal track system). Catilina direct points out the sheaves they have will not work. Sure would like to know where to get the proper sheaves before proceeding with this task. I am open for suggestions
                            Thanks, Ray McGuire C-28 1999

                          • lew staub
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 26, 2009
                              I bought my 92 C28 used in 1993 & it came with a mast gate. Was this standard equipment, or was it done by the previous owner. I would like to buy a spare if it was standard. Anyone know where to purchase one?
                              tx
                              Lew

                              Has anyone experienced replaceing these with the (oval side mast and round sail slides in an internal track system). Catilina direct points out the sheaves they have will not work. Sure would like to know where to get the proper sheaves before proceeding with this task. I am open for suggestions
                              Thanks, Ray McGuire C-28 1999

                            • Tom Conrad
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 26, 2009
                                    My 1999 Cat28 mkII has the sail slugs that would indicate that Catalina Direct does not carry the correct masthead sheaves.  After calling them, they were not certain because the factory specs for my mast said they should work but could need some slight grinding on a separator plate.  This is a job I am going to tackle over the winter at my usual haul out so I will let you know if these sheaves actually do work.  In the meantime, it is anybody's guess.

                                    Tom Conrad
                                    s/v True North

                              • Kenneth Cox
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 26, 2009
                                  Lew,

                                  Try CatalinaDirect.com

                                  Also Rig-Rite,

                                  Either should have it.

                                  Ken

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 26, 2009
                                    Lew
                                    My mast gate was missing when I bought my 1993 c-28. I called Catalina and they sent me one with no problem.

                                    Bernie Noon

                                    --- In catalina28@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Cox <kenneth_cox@...> wrote:

                                    > Lew,
                                    >
                                    > Try CatalinaDirect.com
                                    >
                                    > Also Rig-Rite,
                                    >
                                    > Either should have it.
                                    >
                                    > Ken

                                  • Robert Moffat
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 27, 2009
                                      Catalinadirect.com carries them.

                                      On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM, lew staub<sailorlewi@...> wrote:

                                      > I bought my 92 C28 used in 1993 & it came with a mast gate. Was this
                                      > standard equipment, or was it done by the previous owner. I would like to
                                      > buy a spare if it was standard. Anyone know where to purchase one?
                                      > tx
                                      > Lew

                                    • lew staub
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 27, 2009
                                        Thanks to all.
                                        Lew

                                        > I bought my 92 C28 used in 1993 & it came with a mast gate. Was this
                                        > standard equipment, or was it done by the previous owner. I would like to
                                        > buy a spare if it was standard. Anyone know where to purchase one?
                                        > tx
                                        > Lew

                                      • jermyn50
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 28, 2009
                                          --- In catalina28@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Conrad" <TomConrad@...> wrote:

                                          > My 1999 Cat28 mkII has the sail slugs that would indicate that Catalina Direct does not carry the correct masthead sheaves. After calling them, they were not certain because the factory specs for my mast said they should work but could need some slight grinding on a separator plate. This is a job I am going to tackle over the winter at my usual haul out so I will let you know if these sheaves actually do work. In the meantime, it is anybody's guess.
                                          >
                                          > Tom Conrad
                                          > s/v True North

                                          Tom - I got my sheaves from Catalina direct and they work fine. I got the ball bearing ones ($42.50 each) and had 4 put on the top of the mast. My boat is a 2000 Mark II.

                                          Brian
                                        • Tom Conrad
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 28, 2009
                                            Brian,

                                                What kind of sail slugs do you have, round or square; what kind of slug track, internal or external?  Were the sheaves listed in the CatalinaDirect catalog as for your boat or did you take a chance like I am doing?

                                                Tom

                                            mkII has the sail slugs that would indicate that Catalina Direct does not carry the correct masthead sheaves. After calling them, they were not certain because the factory specs for my mast said they should work but could need some slight grinding on a separator plate. This is a job I am going to tackle over the winter at my usual haul out so I will let you know if these sheaves actually do work. In the meantime, it is anybody's guess.

                                            > Tom
                                            Conrad
                                            > s/v True North

                                            Tom - I got my sheaves from Catalina direct and they work fine. I got the ball bearing ones ($42.50 each) and had 4 put on the top of the mast. My boat is a 2000 Mark II.

                                            Brian

                                          • Brian Jones
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 29, 2009
                                              Tom - the slugs are rounded and on a internal track.  I called catalina direct and they were a great help.

                                              Brian

                                              --
                                              Brian T. Jones
                                              Catalina Mark II