Re: Catahoula Play

  • NYhoularesq
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
      Hi Ann,
      Glad to hear that Buster is fitting in so well with your dogs!
      Please send me some new pics and a brief "bio", so I can get him posted to the Petfinder site.  send them to  northeast@...
      Catahoulas have a different "style" of "play" than other breeds.....no doubt about that. I have seen too many 'houlas have to be "re-homed" or returned to rescue..because new 'houla people do not understand the "style" of the 'houla breed............
      truly unique and that is why we love them!!!!
      Buster will be placed in a home that knows  (and understands) this breed........or he will wait until we find that home. No fear.......let him "be himself"..he has needed that for awhile now............I'll be sure he is placed appropriately.
      Maybe you could "chat" with Julie (  jsvida@...  )..she is one of my foster Moms......she and I have discussed "Catahoula Play" numerous times!
      THANKS!
      Tina

      amprogo <amprogo@...> wrote:
      Hello there!

      New member, long time Houla owner... Well, not all that long. I have
      a 7 year old boy that I've had for 4 years, a 1 yr old girl and a new
      6 month old foster, Buster. This is my first foster, Catahoula or
      otherwise.

      I'm just wondering if anyone out there can offer any wisdom on
      Catahoula play and how their Catahoula's like to play. My dogs play
      pretty rough with each other, or seem to anyway. My big boy, Rusty,
      is extremely vocal and to listen to them, you'd think they're
      vicious! They truly aren't - they've never hurt each other and calm
      when told. I am aware that these are very physical dogs and, based on
      what I've read and by observing my own dogs, I believe they thrive
      when they're allowed that type of physical interaction - while baying
      pigs, herding cattle or just plain play.

      I recently moved from an urban area where I would take Rusty to dog
      parks on occasion. At that time he was an only dog and he loved it at
      the park! He'd find another dog who liked to play like he plays, or
      he'd just try herding the rest of the dogs, but too often their
      people would become nervous, sometimes frightened and almost always
      appalled at the dogs behavior (theirs included) and then would often
      try avoiding my Rusty. It broke my heart because he's such good boy
      and I'm so proud of him, I'd never want him to change!

      This has made me wonder whether dog owners are not accustomed to dogs
      acting like dogs - or just Catahoulas, or perhaps it's me that is too
      lenient with mine and maybe I really should tighten up the reins. At
      the time I really didn't think so.

      I've moved to a more rural setting and since then got my second
      Houla, Darla, and she and Rusty have lots of room to run and play
      together and be themselves. But looking back - I could not now
      imagine "unleashing" the two of them in a dog park and the reactions
      I'd get, not from the other dogs, but from their people!

      My concern has been heightened though, now because of my
      responsibility to Buster (my foster) and the possibility that he may
      be placed in a home that already has a dog. Will my actions of
      allowing him to play like a Houla hurt his ability to acclimate into
      a new "normal" home? I tend to think not, but then I remember those
      otherwise good dog owners at the dog park with their disapproving
      faces, and cant help but wonder if I'm doing the right thing by
      allowing their rough-housing to continue.

      Please, any insight is welcome. I'm also very concerned about the day
      I have to let Buster go - I get myself all upset just thinking about
      it. Worrying about him getting a good, loving, permanent home. Does
      it ever get easier?

      Thanks~
      Anne

      Catahoula Rescue Network
      www.geocities.com/catahoularescue

      Tina D. Wright
      Catahoula Rescue Noth East
      regional coordinator
      DON'T BREED OR BUY, WHILE SHELTER DOGS DIE !!
      ADOPT A RESCUED DOG:

      Yahoo! for Good

    • amprogo
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2005
        Thanks everybody!

        Each of you shared some excellent advice and insight with me. I feel
        more confident in the job I'm doing with my own dogs as well as
        preparing for the whole letting-go part w/my foster. I even got some
        good behavioral training tips as well!

        Just knowing you're all out there makes me feel so much better, and I
        really do appreciate the support!

        Anne

        --- In catahoularesqnetwork@yahoogroups.com, "amprogo" <amprogo@y...>