Black Mouth Cur

  • threegsdforme
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2012
      Hi Everyone,

      I just joined this group because I've been searching the internet for "cur rescue" or "black mouth cur rescue" and am amazed I cannot find any. I found a 'rescue me' site with various breeds but I don't feel they are representing actual rescue organizations. It says you can post dogs to the site - so if I can do it, how does that make 'me' a rescue org? Okay on to what's important..

      My daughter in law wanted a dog and on a whim she 'rescued' a almost 2 year old black mouth cur from a local person (in Michigan) who was giving the dog away on craig's list. I told her if the dog doesn't work out for them, to please try to NOT use craigs list to give dogs away. You don't know what kind of people are grabbing up the dogs and I know there are bad people who will take free dogs to get money for them from labs who experiment on animals. Or so I've heard! I wouldn't want any dog to meet that fate. So ...

      My daughter in law informed me today that they just aren't going to be able to keep her. She jumped into their guinea pig cage which is UP on a table. I had warned her that this was a bad breed to be getting in consideration of their guinea pigs. The info I read on curs specifically states not to have them in homes with other small animals; just other dogs.

      If you are a group of concerned rescue individuals for this breed, I hope you will respond with helpful information to this post. She said she will try not to have to take the dog to the dog pound; but she is anxious to get rid of her pretty quickly. I fear that because of this and because crate training is also not working (possibly in part because they don't really know how to go about it) That the dog pound is imminent if someone isn't willing to take her. She seems to be anxious when put in a room alone; is okay and even calm most the time when her humans are with her... except that she will not leave the guinea pigs alone and barks or whines at them all day! So it's either barking in a crate in the other room; or barking and whining at the guinea pigs. I am not sure why she calms down a bit more when my son gets home from work; but my daughter in law clearly cannot continue to deal with the all day barking (I heard it on the phone today) while she is trying to take care of her new baby. :(

      If you know someone in Michigan ?? who can help... They are in the Saginaw area. I will watch posts to see if anyone can help; and will continue to look online for rescue organizations. I am a German Shepherd dog breed lover and there are plenty of rescue orgs for GSD's, so I am finding it hard to believe there wouldn't be some out there for Curs!! Sad. :( Please help if you can....

      Thank you kindly,

      Laura
    • Karlie Robinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2012
        On 03/29/2012 05:12 PM, threegsdforme wrote:
        > If you know someone in Michigan ??
        >
        > Thank you kindly,
        >
        > Laura
        I have taken in rescue dogs through Catahoula Rescue in the past and am
        in Clio, about a half hour south of Saginaw. Though I don't do any of
        the actual assigning of rescue dogs and such.

        Maybe Janeen or Bambi can advise?

        ~Karlie
      • threegsdforme
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012
          Just wanted to update that Lacy has a home now! Thanks to all who replied. ;)

          Warm regards,
          Laura