Polyurethane Resins

  • Tracey & John Rumming
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
      The first casting material I used ( and still in use for me today) is
      Gelcote - a boat topcoating. The best thing about this is depending on how
      much catalyst you put in depends on the working and demoulding time. One
      drawback is over time for thin areas it becomes brittle. Great for small
      solid casts, and is cheap in cost.

      I am currently trying a polyurethane resin called UC30. Works well, and
      brings out the detail in the RTV rubber moulds. One good thing about this
      is it has a pot life of about 15 minutes! Plenty of time to ensure the cast
      is covered. You can take your time mixing and get it right. It is very
      runny like water even when mixed. Cures hard and even the 'drop test' of
      1.5 meters usually leaves no damage. When cured, it looks and feels like
      plastic and is light with no visable shrinkage to what I can see.

      One drawback is the curing time. 15 minutes to work with is great, but then
      the de-mould time is about 6 hours!

      I am trying other resins here, and I find that they all have different
      properties. Some are too fast (ranging from 1 minute to 6-7 minutes), some
      have bad shrinkage, some are great, but you can not even paint on them! The
      only way I have found to determine which is for me was to contact a supplier
      and ask them if they do any sample packs. I have had a couple of successes
      with this, and one sample pack was a 1 liter mix plus a filler. This is
      enough for about 20-30 N scale wagons!

      Hope I have helped someone out there.

      John Rumming
      Web - www.users.bigpond.com/nuggles58
      NTranced Model Railway Products.
      Western Australia.
    • pabbott@visualfx.com.au
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
        g'day John

        Have you tried the Synair stuff yet. Give me a yell - I'm in
        Adelaide, and I can arrange to send you some.

        Paul Abbott
        Visual Fx (Aust)