fibreglass mould

  • fad
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1 11:48 AM
      hello I'm new here. please recomend me a good website or books
      regarding anything to do with a fibreglass exspecially fibreglass
      mould

      thanks
      fad68
    • Mike Brose
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1 10:26 PM
        On Sat, 01 Sep 2001 18:48:36 -0000 "fad" <fad68@...> writes:
        > hello I'm new here. please recomend me a good website or books
        > regarding anything to do with a fibreglass exspecially fibreglass
        > mould
        >
        > thanks
        > fad68

        See �The Fiberglass Repair and Construction Handbook' by Jack Wiley (TAB
        books) for some excellent information on polyester and epoxy
        fiberglassing. A lot of well researched info on cloth, mat, resins and
        standard fiberglassing techniques.

        The Fiberglast Corp. has a good beginning video on basic fiberglassing
        techniques. It is specifically for working with epoxy, but the principles
        apply to fiberglassing with polyester as well. They also have free info
        on the web site:

        http://www.fiberglast.com/fiberglass_repair.htm

        Mike Brose

        http://puppetsnprops.homestead.com/ventbook.html (New figure making
        book!)
        http://puppetsnprops.homestead.com/home.html (sculpt, mold, mothermold,
        cast, etc)
        http://www.jugglingstore.com/products/zsiliconeballs.html (silicone
        juggling balls)
      • fad
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2 2:13 AM
          thanks Mike for your info. In fact I already started my fibreglass
          project using moldless composite fibreglass. It help to produce are
          single fibreglass project.
          My problem is I cannot find are suitable material as
          recomended by the website. I'm in Malaysia and difficult to find such
          a material. The material that I used is wax,gelcoat,resin harderner
          and chopped strand matt. I find it very difficult to achive are
          smooth surface althought I used electric sander to sand off the
          rought fibreglass.anybody in the group have any idea to overcome the
          problem.
          thanks

          fad68
        • David Perteet
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 2 4:59 AM
            I don't know of any way to get around the rough surface on the outside of fiberglass except to cover it with something more sandable like Bondo.

            DP
            thanks Mike for your info. In fact I already started my fibreglass
            project using moldless composite fibreglass. It help to produce are
            single fibreglass project.
            My problem is I cannot find are suitable material as
            recomended by the website. I'm in Malaysia and difficult to find such
            a material. The material that I used is wax,gelcoat,resin harderner
            and chopped strand matt. I find it very difficult to achive are
            smooth surface althought I used electric sander to sand off the
            rought fibreglass.anybody in the group have any idea to overcome the
            problem.
            thanks

            fad68

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Start here...

            Height:
            345678 ft 01234567891011in

            Weight:
            lbs. kg.

          • Mike Brose
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 2 2:11 PM
              On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 09:13:10 -0000 "fad" <fad68@...> writes:

              > thanks Mike for your info. In fact I already started my fibreglass
              > project using moldless composite fibreglass. It help to produce are
              > single fibreglass project.
              > My problem is I cannot find are suitable material as
              > recomended by the website. I'm in Malaysia and difficult to find
              > such
              > a material. The material that I used is wax,gelcoat,resin harderner
              >
              > and chopped strand matt. I find it very difficult to achive are
              > smooth surface althought I used electric sander to sand off the
              > rought fibreglass.anybody in the group have any idea to overcome the
              >
              > problem.
              > thanks
              >
              > fad68

              Did you look at this page of the Fiberglast site?

              http://www.fiberglast.com/Bro25201056Moldless.htm

              It gives a little step-by-step on what it is you are trying to do,
              specifically a moldless casting and how to achieve a nice finish on the
              exterior. Check it out.

              Hope this helps,

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4 1:03 AM
                --- In casting@y..., "David Perteet" <laocoon@s...> wrote:
                > I don't know of any way to get around the rough surface on the
                outside of fiberglass except to cover it with something more sandable
                like Bondo.

                Hi david. please describe me more about bondo, is that are trade mark
                or what?. thank you

                fad
              • David Perteet
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4 1:28 AM
                  I'm too dang lazy to go out in my garage to check the company name, but Bondo is an auto-body filler (for filling dents, for instance) that has many other uses, such as filling imperfections in fiberglass. It comes in two parts...the filler and a tube of catalyst. If I had rough fiberglass that I wanted to make smooth, I would sand the surface with 60 grit sandpaper to scuff it up, then slather on Bondo as smooth as possible (you get between thirty seconds and a few minutes of working time, depending on the amount of catalyst.) The Bondo sands really well (even polished to a shine.) In the U.S., it (or its equivalent) is available in most auto supply stores and many hardware stores.

                  DP
                  > I don't know of any way to get around the rough surface on the
                  outside of fiberglass except to cover it with something more sandable
                  like Bondo.

                  Hi david. please describe me more about bondo, is that are trade mark
                  or what?. thank you

                  fad

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Eugene Rizzardi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 4 5:18 AM
                    Bondo is a product name for automotive body repair putty. It is a polyester
                    catylized paste that hardens into a tough surface. It is used to repair
                    dents in cars and smooth the surface in preparation for paint. It is also
                    used by car customizers to sculpt contours. And can be thinned with
                    polyester resin or gelcoat ( be sure to use the MEKP catylst from the
                    resin also) and used as a coating over urethane foam or wood to make a
                    smooth durable finish. It can also be used to cast parts, but it has
                    shrinkage, but it works when you have nothing else aroud

                    Gene Rizzardi

                    fad wrote:

                    > --- In casting@y..., "David Perteet" <laocoon@s...> wrote:
                    > > I don't know of any way to get around the rough surface on the
                    > outside of fiberglass except to cover it with something more sandable
                    > like Bondo.
                    >

                    > Hi david. please describe me more about bondo, is that are trade mark
                    > or what?. thank you
                    >
                    > fad

                  • Glenn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 4 5:52 AM
                      Growing up on the beach in Florida. I recall RonJon and others using fiberglass over a foam core to make custom surfboards. Over this was put layers of resin, with sanding between each coat, and followed up with polishing and waxing. The final result was a smooth glass-like finish. I'm not sure if they also used the epoxy marine paint or not. Perhaps others have more details.
                      Glenn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 4 10:20 AM
                        Bondo is the trade mark name for body and fender work on cars and trucks. I
                        recently saw it In quart and gallon cans in a WAL MART store. I have been
                        told it is also sold in auto stores like R&S etc.

                        Rick
                      • radak
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 4 10:46 AM
                          Bondo must be used in a well ventilated area - toxic fumes - also it
                          will crack if used over foam or paper mache. These can be filled with
                          more Bondo or I used epoxy (Magic Sculpt or Apoxie Sculpt)
                          QUESTION:
                          Does anyone know of a product that can be brushed or sprayed on a paper
                          mache or foam armature (actually a finished piece) that I want to make
                          weatherproof?
                          linda
                        • Spanosnu@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 4 11:35 AM
                            Flecto Varathane urethane varnish can be used to seal paper mach' or foam, if
                            the item is to remain indoors. It comes in hi gloss or satin finish. It
                            comes in spray cans or in quart or gallon containers. As with all varnishes
                            it has an amber hue, which becomes apparent if either very thick coats or
                            many coats are used.

                            It worked exceptionally well as a clear coat on a woods (enduro) motorcycle
                            30 years, but faired poorly in protecting a woo fence post. Based upon this
                            experience I wouldn't depend upon it to be used out doors. Most hardware
                            store and paint store carry Flecto Varathane Varnish.

                            Rick
                          • radak
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 4 12:09 PM
                              Thanks Rick, but I am looking for some way to get around having to mix
                              the two part epoxy for outdoor stuff! I am old and the arthritis kills
                              me to do my large sculptures this way - I love the Magic sculpt and the
                              Apoxie Sculpt, but they both have to be mixed and when doing things as
                              big as I like to do - this gets old fast - lol!
                              I guess what I would like to find is something that I could maybe brush
                              on over the sculpture and then brush the catalyst on over that. After it
                              sets then I could just sand and finish.
                              Is there anything like that out there???????
                              linda
                            • Don Dellmann
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 4 1:56 PM
                                You COULD try "Envirotex". I'm not sure how it would react to the foam though.

                                It's a two part epoxy / acrylic (?) that's normally poured on a flat surface. It's the stuff they use to make those bar tops you can see yourself in.

                                Don

                                don.dellmann@...
                                http://www.geocities.com/don_dellmann
                                moderator: WisModelersAid@yahoogroups.com