setup temp and de-airing (was: Sorry for ...)

  • VRB
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 1998
      Pat observed
      > The RTV I'm using (Dow Corning HSII) simply will not set up properly at
      > temperatures below about 72 degrees.

      I have read that this property can be used to de-air molds if you don't have a
      vacuum pump. You pour the mold, then put it in the refrigerator or freezer
      overnight. The bubbles migrate out during that time, and then you bring out
      the mold and let it set up.

      I haven't tried it; perhaps someone else can give testimonials (or warnings) on
      the technique?

      regards,
      -vance-

      Vance Bass