Re: [casting] Artificial food

  • Don Dellmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
      From: Atalwar <illusions@...>
      To: <casting@egroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 1:19 PM
      Subject: [casting] Artificial food

      > Hi all,
      >
      > we are model maker based in New Delhi India.
      > over the last 2 years my wife and I have been a part of this community.
      >
      > We are being asked to fabricate artificial coffee beverages for display
      > at a restaurant. One of the things that we need to crack is artificial
      > froth/foam. Any ideas on materials, techniques..... would be WELCOME.

      I haven't tried it, but what might work is the "expandable" foam used to
      create custom packaging inserts. It would probably have to be done one
      piece at a time and then carved to shape afterwards.

      Don

      Don Dellmann
      don.dellmann@...
      http://www.geocities.com/don_dellmann
      moderator WisModelersaid@egroups.com
    • Tom Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2000
        It is possible to get two-part polyurathane foam (void filling & buoyancy
        etc), which has a cured color light brown. I would have thought that you
        could use urathane pigments to whiten it & make it look like frothed cream.
        ...no doubt a certain amount of experimentation is required...especially as
        the foam expands so much.

        Tom

      • cwestern@smooth-on.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2000
          SMOOTH-ON makes a line of castable foams (Foam-iT Series) that would fit
          your application. www.smooth-on.com