Casting trials

  • Stan Zdonick
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      I am making my first attempts at pewter casting into RTV. The RTV and
      pewter both came from Micromark. I'm using a Lee melter, the pro-20 I
      think. My problem is that I can get a good resin cast in the mold but
      pewter leaves voids. I'm trying to mold a spoked wheel for a train. I've
      posted pictures of the original part, resin part, RTV mold, and an open
      pour attempt. (They are in the files area.) I have tried open and closed
      pours with the same results.

      Do I need more vent holes? The spokes are less than 1/8th inch thick. I'm
      not sure if the metal is too hot since I don't have any way to check its
      temperature. I have noticed an orange cast on the metal after it cools
      though.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Stan