Re: respirators does any one use them?

  • auto249243
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
      "A charcoal respirator will not protect you from the icoyanates."
      It's isocyanates.
      I am going to have to disagree. A charcoal respirator is accepted in industrial safety practice (by OSHA) for intermittent low level exposure (like laboratory work)to isocyanates. We are talking about half mask with replaceable cartridges here. One should also note that charcoal cartridges are only rated to a total of 8 hours of accumulated use maximum, and must be kept in a sealed container when not in use. I would always use one for spraying any type of paint. For factory floor multi-hour shift work, a fresh air mask is generally required.
    • Kenny Anderson
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
        If you look into icocyanates in paint such as Dupont Imron you will find that there is no proof that a respirator actually works 100%. Yes they do say it's OK on a short term basis and that the filter cartridges are supposedly good for 8 hours and thats it but they have no idea of any long term usage and I'm talking about years here not 8 hours a day.
             Here's an excerpt from an article on a webpage I found on Icocyanates in polyurethane resin.

        .
        DATA SHEET
        URETHANE RESIN SYSTEMS
        Monona Rossol, Health and Safety Director
        United Scenic Artists, Local USA 829, IATSE
        181 Thompson St., # 23
        New York, NY 10012-2586
        212-777-0062
        E-mail: ACTSNYC@...
        © October 10, 1995 (revised 6/8/07, 7-31-09)
        STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT URETHANE FOAM AND CASTING RESINS

        In the art and theater world, air-purifying respirators almost never can be used safely or legally
        as protection against products which release diisocyanates. Shops must either have a local
        ventilation system (e.g. a spray booth) that air sampling tests show completely capture the
        diisocyanates, or employers should provide air-supplied full-face respirators with protective
        clothing for the skin for workers using significant amounts of two-component urethane. For the
        full OSHA policy, see the July 18, 2000 letter of interpretation at www.osha.gov.

        But there are some urethane systems that only appear to be a single component product. For
        example, Great StuffTM looks like a single product, but the two components are mixed in the long
        nozzle. So any time you purchase a urethane product, read the label and Material Safety Data
        Sheet (MSDS) carefully. If the label or MSDS indicates that the substance releases
        diisocyanates, is it highly hazardous.
        IF THEY’RE SO BAD, WHY AIN’T I DEAD?
        Not everyone exposed to isocyanates becomes seriously ill, just as not everyone is allergic to
        poison ivy. Although the isocyanates are irritating to all people at high levels, the allergic effects
        can manifest themselves at very low levels in only some people.

        I still haven't found any actual proof that pouring resin in my basement shop is presenting anything dangerous, but there's no proof that it isn't either. So with all this information, I'm nowhere closer to finding an answer than I was before.
        Kenny./Blue Oval ResinWorks.

        Have You Driven or Built a FORD...Lately ???
        I Have.!!!   Everyday !!!

        Always Looking for & Buying any FoMoCo 1/25th scale Model kits and Promo Collections from the 60's, 70's  and 80's,  also any Ford and/or Motorcraft Memorabilia Too,
        Mail or Email me your list !!!

        Kenny Anderson
        Oak Lawn, IL.60453

         OPEN, OPEN, OPEN !!!  Blue Oval ResinWorks , featuring 1/25th scale 1961-87 Ford Pickups(crewcabs),  68-72 Ford Galaxie 500 XL & LTD conv.,   75-78 LTD 4 dr. Landau,  88-91 LTD Crown Victoria Police Cruiser,   67 & 68-69 Rancheros, Ford LN-8000 CrewCab & an LTL-9000  semi & many Ford Pickup Cabs, Beds, 4x4 Parts & Accessories.....plus a lot more never produced Fords coming in the near future.  All items in 1/25th scale.  Check it out now at;
         http://www.blue-oval-resinworks.com

      • Rob de Bie
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 8, 2012
          Thanks for the additional information, that's very useful to know.
          What I wonder about now is whether PU casting resins release (di-)
          isocyanates during mixing and curing. With spray painting an enormous
          total surface is created by the large number of tiny droplets, but
          in casting we're creating only a very small area generally.

          Rob