Re: [casting] Re: respirators does any one use them?

  • Evyn MacDude
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
      On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Charles Anderson <
      charlesanderson@...> wrote:

      > On 26/11/2012 03:37, auto249243 wrote:
      > >
      > > An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than
      > enough, I would think.
      > In my early days of house renavation I poisoned myself with solvents,
      > and was very sick for three days :-( I learned my lesson, that opened
      > windows may not always be enough.

      My Uncle, Cousin-in-law and I learned lesson under a house installing a
      Hottub. Only have to do it once...
      --
      Evyn

    • Kenny Anderson
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 27, 2012
        Yes, you remembered it correctly.   But regular Lacquer and acrylics are OK to use with a respirator. When you get into spraying polyurethane enamels then a fresh air setup is the way to go. A charcoal respirator will not protect you from the icoyanates. ( I hope I spelled that right) But pouring resin isn't the same as spraying urethane paint thru a spraygun so there's nothing to protect you from anyway. I've done all of the above. I worked as an automotive bodyman/painter for many years before becoming a resin caster.
        Kenny.

        Have You Driven or Built a FORD...Lately ???
        I Have.!!!   Everyday !!!

        Always Looking for & Buying any FoMoCo 1/25th scale Model kits and Promo Collections from the 60's, 70's  and 80's,  also any Ford and/or Motorcraft Memorabilia Too,
        Mail or Email me your list !!!

        Kenny Anderson
        Oak Lawn, IL.60453

         OPEN, OPEN, OPEN !!!  Blue Oval ResinWorks , featuring 1/25th scale 1961-87 Ford Pickups(crewcabs),  68-72 Ford Galaxie 500 XL & LTD conv.,   75-78 LTD 4 dr. Landau,  88-91 LTD Crown Victoria Police Cruiser,   67 & 68-69 Rancheros, Ford LN-8000 CrewCab & an LTL-9000  semi & many Ford Pickup Cabs, Beds, 4x4 Parts & Accessories.....plus a lot more never produced Fords coming in the near future.  All items in 1/25th scale.  Check it out now at;
         http://www.blue-oval-resinworks.com

      • auto249243
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
          "A charcoal respirator will not protect you from the icoyanates."
          It's isocyanates.
          I am going to have to disagree. A charcoal respirator is accepted in industrial safety practice (by OSHA) for intermittent low level exposure (like laboratory work)to isocyanates. We are talking about half mask with replaceable cartridges here. One should also note that charcoal cartridges are only rated to a total of 8 hours of accumulated use maximum, and must be kept in a sealed container when not in use. I would always use one for spraying any type of paint. For factory floor multi-hour shift work, a fresh air mask is generally required.
        • Kenny Anderson
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
            If you look into icocyanates in paint such as Dupont Imron you will find that there is no proof that a respirator actually works 100%. Yes they do say it's OK on a short term basis and that the filter cartridges are supposedly good for 8 hours and thats it but they have no idea of any long term usage and I'm talking about years here not 8 hours a day.
                 Here's an excerpt from an article on a webpage I found on Icocyanates in polyurethane resin.

            .
            DATA SHEET
            URETHANE RESIN SYSTEMS
            Monona Rossol, Health and Safety Director
            United Scenic Artists, Local USA 829, IATSE
            181 Thompson St., # 23
            New York, NY 10012-2586
            212-777-0062
            E-mail: ACTSNYC@...
            © October 10, 1995 (revised 6/8/07, 7-31-09)
            STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT URETHANE FOAM AND CASTING RESINS

            In the art and theater world, air-purifying respirators almost never can be used safely or legally
            as protection against products which release diisocyanates. Shops must either have a local
            ventilation system (e.g. a spray booth) that air sampling tests show completely capture the
            diisocyanates, or employers should provide air-supplied full-face respirators with protective
            clothing for the skin for workers using significant amounts of two-component urethane. For the
            full OSHA policy, see the July 18, 2000 letter of interpretation at www.osha.gov.

            But there are some urethane systems that only appear to be a single component product. For
            example, Great StuffTM looks like a single product, but the two components are mixed in the long
            nozzle. So any time you purchase a urethane product, read the label and Material Safety Data
            Sheet (MSDS) carefully. If the label or MSDS indicates that the substance releases
            diisocyanates, is it highly hazardous.
            IF THEY’RE SO BAD, WHY AIN’T I DEAD?
            Not everyone exposed to isocyanates becomes seriously ill, just as not everyone is allergic to
            poison ivy. Although the isocyanates are irritating to all people at high levels, the allergic effects
            can manifest themselves at very low levels in only some people.

            I still haven't found any actual proof that pouring resin in my basement shop is presenting anything dangerous, but there's no proof that it isn't either. So with all this information, I'm nowhere closer to finding an answer than I was before.
            Kenny./Blue Oval ResinWorks.

            Have You Driven or Built a FORD...Lately ???
            I Have.!!!   Everyday !!!

            Always Looking for & Buying any FoMoCo 1/25th scale Model kits and Promo Collections from the 60's, 70's  and 80's,  also any Ford and/or Motorcraft Memorabilia Too,
            Mail or Email me your list !!!

            Kenny Anderson
            Oak Lawn, IL.60453

             OPEN, OPEN, OPEN !!!  Blue Oval ResinWorks , featuring 1/25th scale 1961-87 Ford Pickups(crewcabs),  68-72 Ford Galaxie 500 XL & LTD conv.,   75-78 LTD 4 dr. Landau,  88-91 LTD Crown Victoria Police Cruiser,   67 & 68-69 Rancheros, Ford LN-8000 CrewCab & an LTL-9000  semi & many Ford Pickup Cabs, Beds, 4x4 Parts & Accessories.....plus a lot more never produced Fords coming in the near future.  All items in 1/25th scale.  Check it out now at;
             http://www.blue-oval-resinworks.com

          • Rob de Bie
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 8, 2012
              Thanks for the additional information, that's very useful to know.
              What I wonder about now is whether PU casting resins release (di-)
              isocyanates during mixing and curing. With spray painting an enormous
              total surface is created by the large number of tiny droplets, but
              in casting we're creating only a very small area generally.

              Rob