Re: [casting] Re: Aluminum pans -- (was: respirators does any one use them?)

  • Cliff Manley
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
      Yes, but you see the whole reason MSDS were invented and why the studies of those particular chemicals have been done is because everyone is different! Your wife may not have any noticeable ill effects from Alluminium but that doesn't mean Joe Bloggs from down the street isn't going to have ill effects from the stuff...

      Cliff Manley
      Queanbeyan NSW
      Australia

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
        Yeah, I'm overdoing it, but that's the point.  Polyester resin is dangerous stuff, especially the catalyst MEKP which is a carcinogen.  Epoxy resins are different and yeah, everyone's tolerance is different, the big worry with a lot of these chemicals if developing a skin sensitivity.  That could happen to anyone at any time - imagine your job or hobby cut short because you break out in a painful rash just being in the room with the material you want to use.  As I said before, it goes hand in hand with shop setup.  I need a sealed environment to cast year round at my elevation, so clean, dry air has to be routed thru my shop.  I know many people have gone decades with way more exposure than I've had, I'm comfortable with that.

        -=cam