Re: respirators does any one use them?

  • auto249243
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 25, 2012
      These resins are not volatile(they do not evaporate into the air). Other than an over abundance of caution and lawsuit avoidance, I do not think there is great deal to be concerned about. Of greater concern, especially with epoxy and polyurethane(isocyanates)is sensitization from skin contact. Wear chemical protective gloves. That said, I have been a lab chemist in the paint field for 30+ years, the first 15 with exposure to worse than anything you are likely to get a hold of and little or no protective equipment use. I have yet to have any problem more severe than minor chapped hands. The weekend alcohol indulgence will probably kill more brain cells. Individual mileage may vary. An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than enough, I would think.
    • fordaholic
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 25, 2012
        I agree totally. I sprayed all kinds of automotive paint in a bodyshop and years ago we didn't have the convenience of spray booths. A cheap one was over 10K and that was alot more back then than it is now. The most we ever used were 3M paper dust masks and then only if you were the one spraying paint or primer but 10 feet away from you another guy was spraying paint while you were pulling off trim or pounding out a dent so you got exposed either way. The most I ever got was if me or someone else sprayed a car blue, at the end of the day I could blow my nose and it would come out blue or whatever color was sprayed last. My nose hairs caught most of it, that's what they are there for. I did that for years and still do some minor paintwork in my garage now and then plus build scale model cars and trucks and spraypaint them with rattlecan spraypaint in addition to pouring polyurethane resin and RTV silicone rubber. Like auto24**** said, the weekend partying kills more brain cells that the resin will ever do. I did alot more damage to my brain cells back in the 1970's smokin wacky-tobacky. I also smoked Marlboro(Cowboy Killers) cigarettes since I was 17. I quit 3 years ago at age 53 and I'm breathing fine. A good pair of latex or vinyl throw away gloves should be sufficient for pouring resin.
        Kenny / Blue Oval ResinWorks

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "auto249243" <auto249243@...> wrote:

        > These resins are not volatile(they do not evaporate into the air). Other than an over abundance of caution and lawsuit avoidance, I do not think there is great deal to be concerned about. Of greater concern, especially with epoxy and polyurethane(isocyanates)is sensitization from skin contact. Wear chemical protective gloves. That said, I have been a lab chemist in the paint field for 30+ years, the first 15 with exposure to worse than anything you are likely to get a hold of and little or no protective equipment use. I have yet to have any problem more severe than minor chapped hands. The weekend alcohol indulgence will probably kill more brain cells. Individual mileage may vary. An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than enough, I would think.

      • Charles Anderson
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
          On 26/11/2012 03:37, auto249243 wrote:

          > An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than enough, I would think.
          In my early days of house renavation I poisoned myself with solvents,
          and was very sick for three days :-( I learned my lesson, that opened
          windows may not always be enough.

          Regards Charles from Oz
        • Rob de Bie
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
            A few years ago I looked into protection against isocyanates, and
            found that it generally not stopped by respirator cartridges. The
            positive air pressure masks of car painters then starts to make
            sense. It can also penetrate gloves.

            I wanted to mention this to avoid that PU resin casters think they
            are safe behind a respirator, while they are not. Now I hope I
            remembered it correctly!

            Rob

          • Evyn MacDude
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
              On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM, auto249243 <auto249243@...> wrote:

              > These resins are not volatile(they do not evaporate into the air). Other
              > than an over abundance of caution and lawsuit avoidance, I do not think
              > there is great deal to be concerned about. Of greater concern, especially
              > with epoxy and polyurethane(isocyanates)is sensitization from skin contact.

              Ack!, ok, I have used mostly Polyester Resins that uses MEKP as a catalyst,
              which are different critters epoxy and polyurethane resins. Went out and
              read my materials log to be sure. Hint; keep a log of what you have and
              where is saves a lot of hassle if the Fire Inspector shows up.

              Anyways as I said read your 1.MSDS, 2. Learn the best practices for your
              Material, 3. Documentation.

              --
              Evyn

            • Evyn MacDude
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Charles Anderson <
                charlesanderson@...> wrote:

                > On 26/11/2012 03:37, auto249243 wrote:
                > >
                > > An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than
                > enough, I would think.
                > In my early days of house renavation I poisoned myself with solvents,
                > and was very sick for three days :-( I learned my lesson, that opened
                > windows may not always be enough.

                My Uncle, Cousin-in-law and I learned lesson under a house installing a
                Hottub. Only have to do it once...
                --
                Evyn

              • Kenny Anderson
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 27, 2012
                  Yes, you remembered it correctly.   But regular Lacquer and acrylics are OK to use with a respirator. When you get into spraying polyurethane enamels then a fresh air setup is the way to go. A charcoal respirator will not protect you from the icoyanates. ( I hope I spelled that right) But pouring resin isn't the same as spraying urethane paint thru a spraygun so there's nothing to protect you from anyway. I've done all of the above. I worked as an automotive bodyman/painter for many years before becoming a resin caster.
                  Kenny.

                  Have You Driven or Built a FORD...Lately ???
                  I Have.!!!   Everyday !!!

                  Always Looking for & Buying any FoMoCo 1/25th scale Model kits and Promo Collections from the 60's, 70's  and 80's,  also any Ford and/or Motorcraft Memorabilia Too,
                  Mail or Email me your list !!!

                  Kenny Anderson
                  Oak Lawn, IL.60453

                   OPEN, OPEN, OPEN !!!  Blue Oval ResinWorks , featuring 1/25th scale 1961-87 Ford Pickups(crewcabs),  68-72 Ford Galaxie 500 XL & LTD conv.,   75-78 LTD 4 dr. Landau,  88-91 LTD Crown Victoria Police Cruiser,   67 & 68-69 Rancheros, Ford LN-8000 CrewCab & an LTL-9000  semi & many Ford Pickup Cabs, Beds, 4x4 Parts & Accessories.....plus a lot more never produced Fords coming in the near future.  All items in 1/25th scale.  Check it out now at;
                   http://www.blue-oval-resinworks.com

                • auto249243
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
                    "A charcoal respirator will not protect you from the icoyanates."
                    It's isocyanates.
                    I am going to have to disagree. A charcoal respirator is accepted in industrial safety practice (by OSHA) for intermittent low level exposure (like laboratory work)to isocyanates. We are talking about half mask with replaceable cartridges here. One should also note that charcoal cartridges are only rated to a total of 8 hours of accumulated use maximum, and must be kept in a sealed container when not in use. I would always use one for spraying any type of paint. For factory floor multi-hour shift work, a fresh air mask is generally required.
                  • Kenny Anderson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
                      If you look into icocyanates in paint such as Dupont Imron you will find that there is no proof that a respirator actually works 100%. Yes they do say it's OK on a short term basis and that the filter cartridges are supposedly good for 8 hours and thats it but they have no idea of any long term usage and I'm talking about years here not 8 hours a day.
                           Here's an excerpt from an article on a webpage I found on Icocyanates in polyurethane resin.

                      .
                      DATA SHEET
                      URETHANE RESIN SYSTEMS
                      Monona Rossol, Health and Safety Director
                      United Scenic Artists, Local USA 829, IATSE
                      181 Thompson St., # 23
                      New York, NY 10012-2586
                      212-777-0062
                      E-mail: ACTSNYC@...
                      © October 10, 1995 (revised 6/8/07, 7-31-09)
                      STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT URETHANE FOAM AND CASTING RESINS

                      In the art and theater world, air-purifying respirators almost never can be used safely or legally
                      as protection against products which release diisocyanates. Shops must either have a local
                      ventilation system (e.g. a spray booth) that air sampling tests show completely capture the
                      diisocyanates, or employers should provide air-supplied full-face respirators with protective
                      clothing for the skin for workers using significant amounts of two-component urethane. For the
                      full OSHA policy, see the July 18, 2000 letter of interpretation at www.osha.gov.

                      But there are some urethane systems that only appear to be a single component product. For
                      example, Great StuffTM looks like a single product, but the two components are mixed in the long
                      nozzle. So any time you purchase a urethane product, read the label and Material Safety Data
                      Sheet (MSDS) carefully. If the label or MSDS indicates that the substance releases
                      diisocyanates, is it highly hazardous.
                      IF THEY’RE SO BAD, WHY AIN’T I DEAD?
                      Not everyone exposed to isocyanates becomes seriously ill, just as not everyone is allergic to
                      poison ivy. Although the isocyanates are irritating to all people at high levels, the allergic effects
                      can manifest themselves at very low levels in only some people.

                      I still haven't found any actual proof that pouring resin in my basement shop is presenting anything dangerous, but there's no proof that it isn't either. So with all this information, I'm nowhere closer to finding an answer than I was before.
                      Kenny./Blue Oval ResinWorks.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 8, 2012
                        Thanks for the additional information, that's very useful to know.
                        What I wonder about now is whether PU casting resins release (di-)
                        isocyanates during mixing and curing. With spray painting an enormous
                        total surface is created by the large number of tiny droplets, but
                        in casting we're creating only a very small area generally.

                        Rob