respirators does any one use them?

  • DavidS
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 8, 2012
      I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.

      Two questions

      1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a respirator is not required.

      2. Recommendations on a respirator?

      thanks
      David
    • Corey Minion
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 19, 2012
        Always use respirators.
        PURs are based on nasty stuff.
        3M half face should do the trick.
        I use 60928 cartridge.

        On 11/8/2012 10:59 PM, DavidS wrote:

        > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized
        > that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
        >
        > Two questions
        >
        > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a
        > respirator is not required.
        >
        > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
        >
        > thanks
        > David

      • Evyn MacDude
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 19, 2012
          On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM, DavidS <booney_1@...> wrote:

          > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized that
          > respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
          >
          > Two questions
          >
          > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a respirator
          > is not required.

          Yes, but always read MSDS.

          > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?

          I use a fume hood with negative pressure venting outside the work area,
          but I also have a half mask with the appropriate filters for the materials
          I use.

          --
          Evyn

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 19, 2012
            You want filters for OV.

            On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:59 PM, "DavidS" <booney_1@...> wrote:

            > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
            >
            > Two questions
            >
            > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a respirator is not required.
            >
            > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
            >
            > thanks
            > David

          • daniel caso
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
              David:

                      The more important issue with respirators is not to forget to replace the filters in time.
                      No idea about resins.

                             Daniel

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
                I don't work with these materials, but worked in a chem lab for 30
                years or so. We used fume hoods to remove hazardous vapors. A fume
                hood can be as simple as a box set in front of a window, with a
                "windbox" fan in the window, blowing out. (Note that that would NOT
                be safe for high concentrations of flammables. Use some judgement.)

                Fume hoods MUST be tested for efficacy. This could be done with a
                smoke bomb (does all the smoke stay out of the room, no matter where
                YOU are in front of the hood), or possibly with an odorous compound
                (using your nose instead of your eyes to judge). There are
                air-velocity specifications that are recommended, and that you can
                find on line somewhere, but be aware that measuring air velocity is
                not trivial.

                Another alternative is a supplied-air respiriator. This is equivalent
                to putting a plastic bag over your head and running a (clean) air
                supply to it (with some means to allow the breathed air to exit and to
                prevent entry of the work-area are). These are available
                commercially, and are the only alternative for those of use with
                facial hair (which prevents most respirators from adhering to the
                face).

                On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Evyn MacDude <infojunky@...> wrote:
                > On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM, DavidS <booney_1@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized that
                >> respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                >>
                >> Two questions
                >>
                >> 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a respirator
                >> is not required.
                >>

                > Yes, but always read MSDS.
                >

                >> 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                >>

                > I use a fume hood with negative pressure venting outside the work area,
                > but I also have a half mask with the appropriate filters for the materials
                > I use.
                >

                > --
                > Evyn

                Bruce
                NJ
              • DavidS
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
                  Thanks for the response. I'm surprised I have not seen more posts about safety. The chemicals involved here are pretty hazardous.

                  Thanks Again!
                  David

                  --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Corey Minion <csminion@...> wrote:

                  > Always use respirators.
                  > PURs are based on nasty stuff.
                  > 3M half face should do the trick.
                  > I use 60928 cartridge.
                  >
                  > On 11/8/2012 10:59 PM, DavidS wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized
                  > > that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                  > >
                  > > Two questions
                  > >
                  > > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a
                  > > respirator is not required.
                  > >
                  > > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > > David

                • Corey Minion
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
                    The thing about exhaust hoods is many of the people on this board are
                    hobbyists working from home.
                    If you exhaust out doors, without any filtering, you can quickly have
                    neighbors calling police and municipalities.

                    What is someone inadvertently as an adverse reaction, simply from being
                    nearby outside, when you are puttering about in your workshop?

                    A fan in a window is not acceptable in my opinion.
                    At a bare minimum, you should have carbon filters before the fumes are
                    exhausted.
                    This usually means constructing something.

                    I have made exhaust hoods with carbon and micron filtration.
                    It is pretty easy since you can buy the replaceable filters from the
                    hardware stores.

                    On 11/20/2012 9:33 AM, Bruce . wrote:

                    > I don't work with these materials, but worked in a chem lab for 30
                    > years or so. We used fume hoods to remove hazardous vapors. A fume
                    > hood can be as simple as a box set in front of a window, with a
                    > "windbox" fan in the window, blowing out. (Note that that would NOT
                    > be safe for high concentrations of flammables. Use some judgement.)
                    >
                    > Fume hoods MUST be tested for efficacy. This could be done with a
                    > smoke bomb (does all the smoke stay out of the room, no matter where
                    > YOU are in front of the hood), or possibly with an odorous compound
                    > (using your nose instead of your eyes to judge). There are
                    > air-velocity specifications that are recommended, and that you can
                    > find on line somewhere, but be aware that measuring air velocity is
                    > not trivial.
                    >
                    > Another alternative is a supplied-air respiriator. This is equivalent
                    > to putting a plastic bag over your head and running a (clean) air
                    > supply to it (with some means to allow the breathed air to exit and to
                    > prevent entry of the work-area are). These are available
                    > commercially, and are the only alternative for those of use with
                    > facial hair (which prevents most respirators from adhering to the
                    > face).
                    >
                    > On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Evyn MacDude <infojunky@...
                    > <mailto:infojunky%40ceecom.net>> wrote:
                    > > On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM, DavidS <booney_1@...
                    > <mailto:booney_1%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized
                    > that
                    > >> respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                    > >>
                    > >> Two questions
                    > >>
                    > >> 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a
                    > respirator
                    > >> is not required.
                    > >>

                    > > Yes, but always read MSDS.
                    > >

                    > >> 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                    > >>

                    > > I use a fume hood with negative pressure venting outside the work area,
                    > > but I also have a half mask with the appropriate filters for the
                    > materials
                    > > I use.
                    > >

                    > > --
                    > > Evyn

                    > --
                    > Bruce
                    > NJ

                  • Evyn MacDude
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
                      On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Bruce . <freemab222@...> wrote:

                      > I don't work with these materials, but worked in a chem lab for 30
                      > years or so. We used fume hoods to remove hazardous vapors. A fume
                      > hood can be as simple as a box set in front of a window, with a
                      > "windbox" fan in the window, blowing out. (Note that that would NOT
                      > be safe for high concentrations of flammables. Use some judgement.)
                      >
                      > Fume hoods MUST be tested for efficacy. This could be done with a
                      > smoke bomb (does all the smoke stay out of the room, no matter where
                      > YOU are in front of the hood), or possibly with an odorous compound
                      > (using your nose instead of your eyes to judge). There are
                      > air-velocity specifications that are recommended, and that you can
                      > find on line somewhere, but be aware that measuring air velocity is
                      > not trivial.

                      Yea I didn't go into the mechanics of setting up a fume hood, figuring that
                      would be part of dillagent research in setting up his own.

                      And to be honest I generally don't do a lot of resin casting right now, but
                      I am pondering newer shop environmental safety all the time. Right now I am
                      figuring out how to improve my airborne particulate control while using
                      power tools as sanding and cutting resin casts and other can be just as
                      dangerous as fumes. Right now I working on a bench top vacuum trap that
                      draws dust down away from the work surface this is coupled with dust
                      take-offs on the tools themselves.

                      But, with all this you need to know what you are working with, and what
                      the appropriate practices are, especially if you fabricate your own tools
                      (which to be honest is frequently what a small shop has to do).
                      --
                      Evyn

                    • Evyn MacDude
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
                        On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Corey Minion <csminion@...>wrote:

                        > The thing about exhaust hoods is many of the people on this board are
                        > hobbyists working from home.
                        > If you exhaust out doors, without any filtering, you can quickly have
                        > neighbors calling police and municipalities.

                        Yep always have good relations with your neighbors, the second time I did a
                        Raku firing in my backyard the wind shifted just after the kiln
                        was emptied and the sawdust I was using was much greener than I thought, my
                        new neighbor started out less than pleased with all the smoke. And the Fire
                        Department called, lucky I had gotten a permit prior.

                        > I have made exhaust hoods with carbon and micron filtration.
                        > It is pretty easy since you can buy the replaceable filters from the
                        > hardware stores.

                        How do dispose of used filters?
                        --
                        Evyn

                      • Corey Minion
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 21, 2012
                          One thing I forgot, ALWAYS do a fitting test.
                          Once you have it sized, place your hand over the exhaust port and try to
                          blow out a normal breath.
                          If air escapes anywhere, your fit is not sufficient.

                          IF you have a beard, you really should do a full face mask to get a
                          proper seal, or shave.

                          Many of us use a lot of meterials in our workshops, I promise, almost
                          all this stuff can do a lot of damage to you.
                          Wear appropriate gloves & masks at a minimum.
                          I wear a shop apron too.

                          On 11/20/2012 9:44 AM, DavidS wrote:

                          > Thanks for the response. I'm surprised I have not seen more posts
                          > about safety. The chemicals involved here are pretty hazardous.
                          >
                          > Thanks Again!
                          > David
                          >
                          > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > Corey Minion <csminion@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Always use respirators.
                          > > PURs are based on nasty stuff.
                          > > 3M half face should do the trick.
                          > > I use 60928 cartridge.
                          > >
                          > > On 11/8/2012 10:59 PM, DavidS wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized
                          > > > that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                          > > >
                          > > > Two questions
                          > > >
                          > > > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a
                          > > > respirator is not required.
                          > > >
                          > > > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                          > > >
                          > > > thanks
                          > > > David

                        • Stephen
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 21, 2012
                            When I am doing a lot of grinding of fiberglass I wear a disposable coverall
                            suit. When the job is done I am covered with ground fiberglass dust so I
                            carefully undress and dispose of the cheap coverall in a garbage bag, which
                            I then seal. What is the use of wearing a face mask if when you remove it
                            you will be breathing in the dust that is flying off of your clothes as you
                            walk?

                            Stephen.

                            _____

                            One thing I forgot, ALWAYS do a fitting test.
                            Once you have it sized, place your hand over the exhaust port and try to
                            blow out a normal breath.
                            If air escapes anywhere, your fit is not sufficient.

                            IF you have a beard, you really should do a full face mask to get a
                            proper seal, or shave.

                            Many of us use a lot of meterials in our workshops, I promise, almost
                            all this stuff can do a lot of damage to you.
                            Wear appropriate gloves & masks at a minimum.
                            I wear a shop apron too.

                            On 11/20/2012 9:44 AM, DavidS wrote:

                            > Thanks for the response. I'm surprised I have not seen more posts
                            > about safety. The chemicals involved here are pretty hazardous.
                            >
                            > Thanks Again!
                            > David
                            >
                            > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > Corey Minion <csminion@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Always use respirators.
                            > > PURs are based on nasty stuff.
                            > > 3M half face should do the trick.
                            > > I use 60928 cartridge.
                            > >
                            > > On 11/8/2012 10:59 PM, DavidS wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized
                            > > > that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                            > > >
                            > > > Two questions
                            > > >
                            > > > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a
                            > > > respirator is not required.
                            > > >
                            > > > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                            > > >
                            > > > thanks
                            > > > David

                          • Lane Shutt
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 22, 2012
                              On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:04:52 -0500, you wrote:

                              >One thing I forgot, ALWAYS do a fitting test.
                              >Once you have it sized, place your hand over the exhaust port and try to
                              >blow out a normal breath.
                              >If air escapes anywhere, your fit is not sufficient.

                              Cover the inlet and take a deep breath and hold, the filter should
                              suck onto your and not release. Then cover the exhaust and blow,
                              should inflate slightly then leak.

                              --
                              Lane
                            • bslack007
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 23, 2012
                                I build a ventilation box for my work area and bought a 3M 6800 Full Facepiece Protective face mask with 6001 filters.

                                I figure it's overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
                              • casting-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 23, 2012
                                  Hi David, I know you've had many responses to this question, but here's my two cents.

                                  In my opinion, there has been far too little research done on the effects of various chemicals on the human body to take a chance on breathing any of them. Medical science is notorious for saying something is safe, and then years later reversing their stance on it.

                                  So my policy is, if it's a chemical, I use a fume hood and a mask. My fume hood is pretty powerful, so I sometimes skip the mask for small resin pours. But overall I don't see any point in risking my health for a hobby.

                                  The other thing is, that even something as innocuous as talcum powder can be a serious health hazard. Recent studies have linked the regular breathing of any kind of particulate matter (even dust) to an increased risk of lung cancer. So why take a chance?

                                  Anyway, that's my advice to everyone in any hobby which uses chemicals or powders, regardless of what's in them. Protect yourself! By doing so, it is my hope that I will live long enough to be a burden to my children. ;-)

                                  Pat Lawless

                                  --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "DavidS" <booney_1@...> wrote:

                                  > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                                  >
                                  > Two questions
                                  >
                                  > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a respirator is not required.
                                  >
                                  > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                                  >

                                  > thanks
                                  > David

                                • DavidS
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 23, 2012
                                    In the past I was a semiconductor engineer and worked with a variety of dangerous chemicals and I whole heartedly agree with you. I think too many people are exposed to dangerous chemicals without being aware of how toxic they can be. I started this thread because I had not seen or heard of anybody using protection when casting. In the pictures on web sites, people are pouring resins on kitchen tables with out any type of hood or respirator. I think I'm going to make a small hood to use in my garage that is vented outside, and use a respirator.

                                    And on the safety of the chemicals, there is research on the chemicals used in polyurethanes, and they are some of the most dangerous.

                                    Thanks for your reply!

                                    David

                                    --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, casting-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                    > Hi David, I know you've had many responses to this question, but here's my two cents.
                                    >
                                    > In my opinion, there has been far too little research done on the effects of various chemicals on the human body to take a chance on breathing any of them. Medical science is notorious for saying something is safe, and then years later reversing their stance on it.
                                    >
                                    > So my policy is, if it's a chemical, I use a fume hood and a mask. My fume hood is pretty powerful, so I sometimes skip the mask for small resin pours. But overall I don't see any point in risking my health for a hobby.
                                    >
                                    > The other thing is, that even something as innocuous as talcum powder can be a serious health hazard. Recent studies have linked the regular breathing of any kind of particulate matter (even dust) to an increased risk of lung cancer. So why take a chance?
                                    >
                                    > Anyway, that's my advice to everyone in any hobby which uses chemicals or powders, regardless of what's in them. Protect yourself! By doing so, it is my hope that I will live long enough to be a burden to my children. ;-)
                                    >
                                    > Pat Lawless
                                    >

                                    > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "DavidS" <booney_1@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                                    > >
                                    > > Two questions
                                    > >
                                    > > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a respirator is not required.
                                    > >
                                    > > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                                    > >

                                    > > thanks
                                    > > David

                                  • Didj Effects
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 23, 2012
                                      Thanks for this thread, nice to hear about what others are doing.  I wholeheartedly agree with the most cautious here, I always wear gloves and a full face mask when casting or sanding.  And safety and shop settup go together.  My shop is a 450 sq ft garage in my town's industrial zone, cheap rent, with separate hoods for casting and sanding (thinking I'll add another for post-cure).  Fresh air in to a 150 sq ft area insulated and sealed off for casting, air warmed and dried, and expelled thru the hood by a standard home ventilation fan with inexpensive filters.  With this settup I'm able to cast year round @ 2500ft elevation.

                                      For especially dusty sanding, like removing tags with a dremel, clamp a shop vac nozzle to your work area with the vac outside - the instant dust removal makes it a lot easier to see what you're doing, too.

                                      -=cam

                                      ________________________________
                                      In the past I was a semiconductor engineer and worked with a variety of dangerous chemicals and I whole heartedly agree with you. I think too many people are exposed to dangerous chemicals without being aware of how toxic they can be. I started this thread because I had not seen or heard of anybody using protection when casting. In the pictures on web sites, people are pouring resins on kitchen tables with out any type of hood or respirator. I think I'm going to make a small hood to use in my garage that is vented outside, and use a respirator.

                                      And on the safety of the chemicals, there is research on the chemicals used in polyurethanes, and they are some of the most dangerous.

                                      Thanks for your reply!

                                      David

                                      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, casting-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                      > Hi David, I know you've had many responses to this question, but here's my two cents.
                                      >
                                      > In my opinion, there has been far too little research done on the effects of various chemicals on the human body to take a chance on breathing any of them. Medical science is notorious for saying something is safe, and then years later reversing their stance on it.
                                      >
                                      > So my policy is, if it's a chemical, I use a fume hood and a mask. My fume hood is pretty powerful, so I sometimes skip the mask for small resin pours. But overall I don't see any point in risking my health for a hobby.
                                      >
                                      > The other thing is, that even something as innocuous as talcum powder can be a serious health hazard. Recent studies have linked the regular breathing of any kind of particulate matter (even dust) to an increased risk of lung cancer. So why take a chance?
                                      >
                                      > Anyway, that's my advice to everyone in any hobby which uses chemicals or powders, regardless of what's in them. Protect yourself! By doing so, it is my hope that I will live long enough to be a burden to my children. ;-)
                                      >
                                      > Pat Lawless
                                      >

                                      > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "DavidS" <booney_1@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I was reading the MSDS docs on the Smooth-on website and I realized that respirators were recommended for polyurethane resin casting.
                                      > >
                                      > > Two questions
                                      > >
                                      > > 1. Is there a general purpose resin that is safe enough that a respirator is not required.
                                      > >
                                      > > 2. Recommendations on a respirator?
                                      > >

                                      > > thanks
                                      > > David

                                    • Charles Anderson
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 23, 2012
                                        Hi All,

                                        For a reason very similar to this I avoid aluminium (aluminum for the
                                        people in the USA) that comes into contact with food. No aluminium
                                        cooking pots, utensils, or food containers.

                                        The reasoning behind this is that when I was much younger and had more
                                        hair, I went for a hair analysis (as I was losing it). The results came
                                        back that I had high amounts of aluminium in my hair samples. Later on
                                        I heard that there may be links to Alzheimer from ingesting aluminium.

                                        When I started work for an Aluminium company the marketing team was
                                        actively campaigning that aluminium is harmless. I candidly asked the
                                        metallurgists about my fears. They said that there were no scientific
                                        links to my fears, but suggested that I cook in stainless steel and not
                                        to drink out of aluminium cans.

                                        Regards Charles from Oz

                                        On 24/11/2012 03:20, casting-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                        > In my opinion, there has been far too little research done on the effects of various chemicals on the human body to take a chance on breathing any of them. Medical science is notorious for saying something is safe, and then years later reversing their stance on it.

                                      • auto249243
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 25, 2012
                                          These resins are not volatile(they do not evaporate into the air). Other than an over abundance of caution and lawsuit avoidance, I do not think there is great deal to be concerned about. Of greater concern, especially with epoxy and polyurethane(isocyanates)is sensitization from skin contact. Wear chemical protective gloves. That said, I have been a lab chemist in the paint field for 30+ years, the first 15 with exposure to worse than anything you are likely to get a hold of and little or no protective equipment use. I have yet to have any problem more severe than minor chapped hands. The weekend alcohol indulgence will probably kill more brain cells. Individual mileage may vary. An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than enough, I would think.
                                        • fordaholic
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 25, 2012
                                            I agree totally. I sprayed all kinds of automotive paint in a bodyshop and years ago we didn't have the convenience of spray booths. A cheap one was over 10K and that was alot more back then than it is now. The most we ever used were 3M paper dust masks and then only if you were the one spraying paint or primer but 10 feet away from you another guy was spraying paint while you were pulling off trim or pounding out a dent so you got exposed either way. The most I ever got was if me or someone else sprayed a car blue, at the end of the day I could blow my nose and it would come out blue or whatever color was sprayed last. My nose hairs caught most of it, that's what they are there for. I did that for years and still do some minor paintwork in my garage now and then plus build scale model cars and trucks and spraypaint them with rattlecan spraypaint in addition to pouring polyurethane resin and RTV silicone rubber. Like auto24**** said, the weekend partying kills more brain cells that the resin will ever do. I did alot more damage to my brain cells back in the 1970's smokin wacky-tobacky. I also smoked Marlboro(Cowboy Killers) cigarettes since I was 17. I quit 3 years ago at age 53 and I'm breathing fine. A good pair of latex or vinyl throw away gloves should be sufficient for pouring resin.
                                            Kenny / Blue Oval ResinWorks

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                                              On 26/11/2012 03:37, auto249243 wrote:

                                              > An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than enough, I would think.
                                              In my early days of house renavation I poisoned myself with solvents,
                                              and was very sick for three days :-( I learned my lesson, that opened
                                              windows may not always be enough.

                                              Regards Charles from Oz
                                            • Rob de Bie
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                                                A few years ago I looked into protection against isocyanates, and
                                                found that it generally not stopped by respirator cartridges. The
                                                positive air pressure masks of car painters then starts to make
                                                sense. It can also penetrate gloves.

                                                I wanted to mention this to avoid that PU resin casters think they
                                                are safe behind a respirator, while they are not. Now I hope I
                                                remembered it correctly!

                                                Rob

                                              • Evyn MacDude
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                                                  On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM, auto249243 <auto249243@...> wrote:

                                                  > These resins are not volatile(they do not evaporate into the air). Other
                                                  > than an over abundance of caution and lawsuit avoidance, I do not think
                                                  > there is great deal to be concerned about. Of greater concern, especially
                                                  > with epoxy and polyurethane(isocyanates)is sensitization from skin contact.

                                                  Ack!, ok, I have used mostly Polyester Resins that uses MEKP as a catalyst,
                                                  which are different critters epoxy and polyurethane resins. Went out and
                                                  read my materials log to be sure. Hint; keep a log of what you have and
                                                  where is saves a lot of hassle if the Fire Inspector shows up.

                                                  Anyways as I said read your 1.MSDS, 2. Learn the best practices for your
                                                  Material, 3. Documentation.

                                                  --
                                                  Evyn

                                                • Evyn MacDude
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                                                    On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Charles Anderson <
                                                    charlesanderson@...> wrote:

                                                    > On 26/11/2012 03:37, auto249243 wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > An open window and fan or oversize vented hood should be more than
                                                    > enough, I would think.
                                                    > In my early days of house renavation I poisoned myself with solvents,
                                                    > and was very sick for three days :-( I learned my lesson, that opened
                                                    > windows may not always be enough.

                                                    My Uncle, Cousin-in-law and I learned lesson under a house installing a
                                                    Hottub. Only have to do it once...
                                                    --
                                                    Evyn

                                                  • Kenny Anderson
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 27, 2012
                                                      Yes, you remembered it correctly.   But regular Lacquer and acrylics are OK to use with a respirator. When you get into spraying polyurethane enamels then a fresh air setup is the way to go. A charcoal respirator will not protect you from the icoyanates. ( I hope I spelled that right) But pouring resin isn't the same as spraying urethane paint thru a spraygun so there's nothing to protect you from anyway. I've done all of the above. I worked as an automotive bodyman/painter for many years before becoming a resin caster.
                                                      Kenny.

                                                      Have You Driven or Built a FORD...Lately ???
                                                      I Have.!!!   Everyday !!!

                                                      Always Looking for & Buying any FoMoCo 1/25th scale Model kits and Promo Collections from the 60's, 70's  and 80's,  also any Ford and/or Motorcraft Memorabilia Too,
                                                      Mail or Email me your list !!!

                                                      Kenny Anderson
                                                      Oak Lawn, IL.60453

                                                       OPEN, OPEN, OPEN !!!  Blue Oval ResinWorks , featuring 1/25th scale 1961-87 Ford Pickups(crewcabs),  68-72 Ford Galaxie 500 XL & LTD conv.,   75-78 LTD 4 dr. Landau,  88-91 LTD Crown Victoria Police Cruiser,   67 & 68-69 Rancheros, Ford LN-8000 CrewCab & an LTL-9000  semi & many Ford Pickup Cabs, Beds, 4x4 Parts & Accessories.....plus a lot more never produced Fords coming in the near future.  All items in 1/25th scale.  Check it out now at;
                                                       http://www.blue-oval-resinworks.com

                                                    • auto249243
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 2, 2012
                                                        "A charcoal respirator will not protect you from the icoyanates."
                                                        It's isocyanates.
                                                        I am going to have to disagree. A charcoal respirator is accepted in industrial safety practice (by OSHA) for intermittent low level exposure (like laboratory work)to isocyanates. We are talking about half mask with replaceable cartridges here. One should also note that charcoal cartridges are only rated to a total of 8 hours of accumulated use maximum, and must be kept in a sealed container when not in use. I would always use one for spraying any type of paint. For factory floor multi-hour shift work, a fresh air mask is generally required.
                                                      • Kenny Anderson
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 3, 2012
                                                          If you look into icocyanates in paint such as Dupont Imron you will find that there is no proof that a respirator actually works 100%. Yes they do say it's OK on a short term basis and that the filter cartridges are supposedly good for 8 hours and thats it but they have no idea of any long term usage and I'm talking about years here not 8 hours a day.
                                                               Here's an excerpt from an article on a webpage I found on Icocyanates in polyurethane resin.

                                                          .
                                                          DATA SHEET
                                                          URETHANE RESIN SYSTEMS
                                                          Monona Rossol, Health and Safety Director
                                                          United Scenic Artists, Local USA 829, IATSE
                                                          181 Thompson St., # 23
                                                          New York, NY 10012-2586
                                                          212-777-0062
                                                          E-mail: ACTSNYC@...
                                                          © October 10, 1995 (revised 6/8/07, 7-31-09)
                                                          STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT URETHANE FOAM AND CASTING RESINS

                                                          In the art and theater world, air-purifying respirators almost never can be used safely or legally
                                                          as protection against products which release diisocyanates. Shops must either have a local
                                                          ventilation system (e.g. a spray booth) that air sampling tests show completely capture the
                                                          diisocyanates, or employers should provide air-supplied full-face respirators with protective
                                                          clothing for the skin for workers using significant amounts of two-component urethane. For the
                                                          full OSHA policy, see the July 18, 2000 letter of interpretation at www.osha.gov.

                                                          But there are some urethane systems that only appear to be a single component product. For
                                                          example, Great StuffTM looks like a single product, but the two components are mixed in the long
                                                          nozzle. So any time you purchase a urethane product, read the label and Material Safety Data
                                                          Sheet (MSDS) carefully. If the label or MSDS indicates that the substance releases
                                                          diisocyanates, is it highly hazardous.
                                                          IF THEY’RE SO BAD, WHY AIN’T I DEAD?
                                                          Not everyone exposed to isocyanates becomes seriously ill, just as not everyone is allergic to
                                                          poison ivy. Although the isocyanates are irritating to all people at high levels, the allergic effects
                                                          can manifest themselves at very low levels in only some people.

                                                          I still haven't found any actual proof that pouring resin in my basement shop is presenting anything dangerous, but there's no proof that it isn't either. So with all this information, I'm nowhere closer to finding an answer than I was before.
                                                          Kenny./Blue Oval ResinWorks.

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Dec 8, 2012
                                                            Thanks for the additional information, that's very useful to know.
                                                            What I wonder about now is whether PU casting resins release (di-)
                                                            isocyanates during mixing and curing. With spray painting an enormous
                                                            total surface is created by the large number of tiny droplets, but
                                                            in casting we're creating only a very small area generally.

                                                            Rob