Re: mylar in clear Polyurethane - is it possible?

  • Ross
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
      Thanks for the tips! I looked further at the Jay Leno video and it led me down the path of resilvering mirrors - which is something the German craftsman in the video mentioned. Here's a link to a company which offers kits for this (from home $50 sets to $1500 spray outfits):
      http://angelgilding.com/About_Spray_Chrome.html

      they have videos, instruction sheets and kits. Not sure how the process would hold up to exterior chrome applications though - e.g. on a car or outdoor sculpture.

      Looks like an interesting solution for those wanting to do DIY plastic chroming

      cheers
      Ross in NZ

      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Didj Effects <didjeffects@...> wrote:

      > Not 100% about the mylar/PU question - that combination exists in party balloons, but I think w/ vinyl binding the two.  I'd expect the mylar could be encapsulated but not bonded in your casting, so you'd have to do a multi-part pour or add the mylar after casting and paint some additional PU over it, lots of extra considerations there.
      >
      > Did you see the cheaper chroming option showcased on Jay Leno's garage awhile back?  Good video here:
      >
      > http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segment/restoration-blog/spray-on-chrome/index.shtml
      >
      > least there used to be good video here, the page is coming up for me w/o the video, and the company website is unfinished and looks untouched since middle of last year.  Keep trying, tho, this was a cool solution, no oven or toxic chemicals required.
      >
      > worst case, I suppose, you could add vinyl chrome-effect tape after the fact...
      >

      > -=cam
      >

      > ________________________________

    • John McCann
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
        Here’s the Leno video.
        http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/sprayon-chrome/1232328

        Obey gravity, it's the law

        John

        Thanks for the tips! I looked further at the Jay Leno video and it led me
        down the path of resilvering mirrors - which is something the German
        craftsman in the video mentioned. Here's a link to a company which offers
        kits for this (from home $50 sets to $1500 spray outfits):
        http://angelgilding.com/About_Spray_Chrome.html

        they have videos, instruction sheets and kits. Not sure how the process
        would hold up to exterior chrome applications though - e.g. on a car or
        outdoor sculpture.

        Looks like an interesting solution for those wanting to do DIY plastic
        chroming

        cheers
        Ross in NZ

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Didj Effects <didjeffects@...> wrote:

        > Not 100% about the mylar/PU question - that combination exists in party
        > balloons, but I think w/ vinyl binding the two. I'd expect the mylar
        > could be encapsulated but not bonded in your casting, so you'd have to do
        > a multi-part pour or add the mylar after casting and paint some additional
        > PU over it, lots of extra considerations there.
        >
        > Did you see the cheaper chroming option showcased on Jay Leno's garage
        > awhile back? Good video here:
        >
        > http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segment/restoration-blog/spray-on-chrome/index.shtml
        >
        > least there used to be good video here, the page is coming up for me w/o
        > the video, and the company website is unfinished and looks untouched since
        > middle of last year. Keep trying, tho, this was a cool solution, no oven
        > or toxic chemicals required.
        >
        > worst case, I suppose, you could add vinyl chrome-effect tape after the
        > fact...
        >

        > -=cam
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Lane Shutt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
          >> From: Ross <rosskerynn@...>
          >> Subject: [casting] mylar in clear Polyurethane - is it possible?

          >> Hi, a question for all you experts! It occurred to me that I could get
          >> the look of an embedded chrome strip in a tail light lens I'm making in
          >> clear polyurethane by embedding a thin strip of highly reflective mylar
          >> sheet. Would that work? Are mylar and PU compatible?

          How about painting the reflector surface ( of the mold ) with a
          silver or chrome paint before you cast.

          --
          Lane
        • Corey Minion
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2012
            It is possible.
            I remember a jewelry student doing it 25 years ago as part of his thesis.
            It all depends on the base materials, IIRC, mylar is laminated to a
            substrate.
            Test samples first.