Caster quality expectations

  • advancedterrain
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2012
      Hi all,

      Need some advice. Just got a shipment of parts from the company that casts them for me, these are open-pour resin pieces. The parts are pretty bad - probably 10-20% are miscasts, obvious mold tears, parts that feel tacky, lots of air bubbles, etc.

      This company is not usually this bad, maybe their QA guy is on vacation or something... but on the other hand, I've never been blown away by their quality. And I'm sure that comes down to the price at which they bid the job.

      So, my question is this: how do you communicate quality expectations when you're getting quotes/giving quotes on a job? Do I need to get really specific and list how many or what size air bubbles I'm willing to accept, etc?
    • Mike Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2012
        Personally, I aim for zero bubbles in my castings. If I get bubbles, I'm
        doing something wrong and I will not ship the "bubbled" castings to clients.
        I keep going until I get it right.

        I vacuum the RTV and pressure cast the resin. You just have to build the
        molds so that you let all of the air/gas escape.

        - Mike

      • alex_bard
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2012
          Everything Mike said is spot on. I would never let anything leave my shop in the condition you described, regardless of the quality requirements. You should send the parts back and tell them to do your project over. If they refuse, there are plenty of shops that would gladly take your work.