Re: New Caster

  • casting6pack
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2011
      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Kenny Anderson <fordaholic69@...> wrote:

      > 6pack, Hi and welcome to the group. I'm also a model builder and resin caster as I own http://Blue-Oval-ResinWorks.com      You don't always have to pressurize your silicone molds. I use the "bombs away" formula. Set your master on the floor in a tin or something to catch the overflow and bombs away, pour your silicone slowly from about 4 or 5 feet up from the floor onto your master keeping a steady flow. By the time the silicone hits the master, most if not all of the air bubbles will be gone from the silicone, any that are left should rise to the top quickly, then just walk away until the next day  I use Smooth-On brand for both my silicone (RTV-1000) and my casting polyurethane resin. After using their products, I wouldn't use anything else. My supplier, Eager Plastics is local to me in Chicago but they supply many casters and ship UPS anywhere. If you've ever heard of Jimmy Flintstone, He a fairly famous caster and has been around a long
      > time, he casts 12" human figures and also 1/25th scale car models.  He  buys all his supplies from Eager Plastics as well and he is out of state in I believe Wisconsin. Eager Plastics has a very knowledgeable staff, are very friendly and courteous and their prices won't floor you. (sounds like a commercial huh?)    I use their top of the line White Smooth-On resin but they also carry some cheaper resins too. They have a website at http://eagerplastics.com if you care to check them out. If you are just doing some very small castings, then to start out I would go with an Aluminite casting kit, You can buy it at Hobby Lobby ( also has a website) or at any one of their stores nationwide. Quantity is small but great for starting out on small parts to get you familiar with casting. Good Luck to you. Kenny.
      >

      > Have You Driven or Built a FORD...Lately ???
      > I Have.!!!   Everyday !!!
      >

      > Always Looking for & Buying any FoMoCo 1/25th scale Model kits and Promo Collections from the 60's, 70's  and 80's,  also any Ford and/or Motorcraft Memorabilia Too,
      > Mail or Email me your list !!!
      >
      > Kenny Anderson/Blue Oval ResinWorks
      > Oak Lawn, IL.60453
      >

      >  OPEN, OPEN, OPEN !!!  Blue Oval ResinWorks , featuring 1/25th scale 1961-87 Ford Pickups(crewcabs),  68-72 Ford Galaxie 500 XL & LTD conv.,   75-78 LTD 4 dr. Landau,  88-91 LTD Crown Victoria Police Cruiser,   67 & 68-69 Rancheros, Ford LN-8000 CrewCab & an LTL-9000  semi & many Ford Pickup Cabs, Beds, 4x4 Parts & Accessories.....plus a lot more never produced Fords coming in the near future.  All items in 1/25th scale.  Check it out now at;
      >  http://www.blue-oval-resinworks.com

      Kenny
      Great website and great advice!

      I am pretty familiar with Jimmy Flintstone, I've bought alot of product from him and I met him a few times at various model shows I've been to.

      I will definetly check out Eager plastics. I wasn't too happy with Alumilite as it set up too quick for me!

      Being a novice, it could have just been that my confidence wasn't too good as I worked with it!

      Thanks Kenny

      Derrick
    • casting6pack
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2011
        Looks like some good stuff there! what is the working time?

        I'm thinking about getting the 1/2 gallon kit and see how it works!

        I was talking to Cindy of resin obession and she says you always have to de-gas and pressurize....

        I tried pressuring some alumilite I had sitting around and it blew right out of the mold at 50, then 30 pounds! ha ha ha

        I think I'm gonna try what you said and see how that works!

        thanks alot 12 pack....lol

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "jctworld.us" <ajt@...> wrote:

        > 6Pack
        >

        > You don't always have to degas or pressure your items. Try without first,,
        > take it from there.
        >

        > Here is the company I use, http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/
        >

        > Good Luck,, happy turkey day
        >

        > 12pack
        >

        > _____

      • Chaz
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 10, 2011
          Hi,
          I've never done this bombs away method (never even heard of it :) but will definitely give it a try since I don't own a vacuum chamber yet.

          My method is a bit old-fashioned: After ensuring the molded part is level I pour the silicone as a thin layer, then paint in the details with a brush. Once this is done I'll pour the rest. I don't care much if bubbles are present -so long as there aren't any against the positive.

          I buy from http://www.brickintheyard.com/. If you look on youtube, this guy has a ton of videos demonstrating the different products he sells. He's also polite and helpful on the phone and very knowledgeable.
          --Chaz

          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "casting6pack" <two42@...> wrote:

          > Looks like some good stuff there! what is the working time?
          >
          > I'm thinking about getting the 1/2 gallon kit and see how it works!
          >
          > I was talking to Cindy of resin obession and she says you always have to de-gas and pressurize....
          >
          > I tried pressuring some alumilite I had sitting around and it blew right out of the mold at 50, then 30 pounds! ha ha ha
          >
          > I think I'm gonna try what you said and see how that works!
          >
          > thanks alot 12 pack....lol

          > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "jctworld.us" <ajt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > 6Pack
          > >

          > > You don't always have to degas or pressure your items. Try without first,,
          > > take it from there.
          > >

          > > Here is the company I use, http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/
          > >

          > > Good Luck,, happy turkey day
          > >

          > > 12pack
          > >

          > > _____

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
            Never heard of that method.
            Just invested in a vacuum set up.
            Have the pump but waiting for the chamber to arrive.
            Tim

            --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Chaz" <cybergolem@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I've never done this bombs away method (never even heard of it :) but will definitely give it a try since I don't own a vacuum chamber yet.

          • jctworld.us
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
              I need to go back in time and be a bomber on B-29's for the Army Air Corp.
              I been using the "Bombs Away" method for years..

              Mix your silicone in two cups as usual. At the bottom of the cup #2 on the
              vertical side of it drill a hole. I use a 3/8 drill bit. After drill be darn
              sure you put a piece of tape over the hole. After stirring the silicone pour
              the mix into the second cup from about 12 inches high. Them place your
              master on the floor, set your cup on the edge of your desk and remove the
              tape. At this time you can yell "bombs away". You will prolly miss your
              target by a little, but you can slide it under the stream so it lands in the
              corner of your mold fence. Did I mention that if you have any air movement
              from a fan, ceiling fan or close to a central air vent you will have a mess.
              Shut down any air movement for a little while!

              Best wishes and have fun!

              Jay

              East texas

              _____

              --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com> , "Chaz"
              <cybergolem@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I've never done this bombs away method (never even heard of it :) but will
              definitely give it a try since I don't own a vacuum chamber yet.

            • John McCann
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                You tube to the rescue again, here are both methods.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtodXHMDOP8

                Obey Gravity, it's the law!

                John
                Have the pump but waiting for the chamber to arrive.
                Tim

                --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Chaz" <cybergolem@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I've never done this bombs away method (never even heard of it :) but will definitely give it a try since I don't own a vacuum chamber yet.

              • Derrick E Six
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                  Bombs Away!!!!!!  great concept

                  I've got a vacuum pump and degassing chamber and pressure tank.......it works great for the RTV rubber but I've got a fast curing resin approx. 3 min pour time

                  do you think I'll have enough time to degass it first?

                  6pack

                • Charles Anderson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                    The bombs away method works really well, but it does require a little
                    patience and having some newspaper around the target area is a wise
                    course of action (you can miss).

                    Try to get a thin steam, this way the bubbles aren't an issue.

                    Regards Charles from Oz

                    On 11/12/2011 2:18 AM, Chaz wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    > I've never done this bombs away method (never even heard of it :) but will definitely give it a try since I don't own a vacuum chamber yet.
                    >
                    > My method is a bit old-fashioned: After ensuring the molded part is level I pour the silicone as a thin layer, then paint in the details with a brush. Once this is done I'll pour the rest. I don't care much if bubbles are present -so long as there aren't any against the positive.
                    >
                    > I buy from http://www.brickintheyard.com/. If you look on youtube, this guy has a ton of videos demonstrating the different products he sells. He's also polite and helpful on the phone and very knowledgeable.
                    > --Chaz
                  • Charles Anderson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                      I'm surprised nobody has heard of it?

                      At the 4:07 mark the bombs away method is demonstrated.

                      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtodXHMDOP8>

                      The rest of the video is interesting too ;-)

                      Regards Charles from Oz

                      On 13/12/2011 8:08 PM, Tim wrote:
                      > Never heard of that method.
                      > Just invested in a vacuum set up.
                      > Have the pump but waiting for the chamber to arrive.
                      > Tim
                    • Mike Bauers
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                        Not by the 'Bombs Away' label . The old 'thin Stream Pour' method sure has been around for a very long time for me.

                        Mike Bauers

                        On Dec 13, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Charles Anderson wrote:

                        > I'm surprised nobody has heard of it?
                        >
                        > At the 4:07 mark the bombs away method is demonstrated.
                        >
                        > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtodXHMDOP8>
                        >
                        > The rest of the video is interesting too ;-)
                        >

                        > Regards Charles from Oz
                        >

                        > On 13/12/2011 8:08 PM, Tim wrote:
                        >> Never heard of that method.
                        >> Just invested in a vacuum set up.
                        >> Have the pump but waiting for the chamber to arrive.
                      • Chaz Sutherland
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                          I'm simply amazed at the simplicity of this method. BTW: What can silicone be thinned/cleaned with?
                          --Chaz

                          >________________________________

                        • Mike Brose
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 13, 2011
                            Same here. I just don't think about it that much since I've been using a
                            vacuum chamber and pressure pot for so long. It surely is a viable
                            method and can result in a pretty good mold however.

                            Cheers,

                            Mike Brose
                            http://www.puppetsandprops.com
                            http://puppetsandprops.blogspot.com/

                            Mike Bauers wrote:
                            > Not by the 'Bombs Away' label . The old 'thin Stream Pour' method sure has been around for a very long time for me.
                            >
                            > Mike Bauers
                            >

                            > On Dec 13, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Charles Anderson wrote:
                            >

                            >> I'm surprised nobody has heard of it?

                            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6709 (20111213) __________

                            http://www.eset.com
                          • jctworld.us
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 23, 2011
                              By the time you stir/mix, turn around, start degass, open degass chamber,
                              turn around, pour in mold..... I don't think you will have time. The resin
                              would be to thick to fill cracks, seams, undercuts. I wouldn't try.

                              If you are pumping a&b with 1 ounce pumps, pump slow and bubbles wont appear
                              in your mixing cup. After you pour in mould and there are bubble, pop a
                              squirt of mold release spray over the top,, just a pop.. the surface bubbles
                              will vanish!

                              Jay

                              _____