Re: [casting] PU rubber suggestions?

  • jmccann@centurytel.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2011
      I found this in a search that might help you, but is the manufacturer still in business and are aftermarket or original parts still available or a suitable substitute from a bearing house or hardware outlet? Is it for your own use or for a customer? Is the oil coming from cooling oil for the tool or is there actually oil in or near the motor?
      http://machinedesign.com/BDE/materials/bdemat4/rvmat3d.html

      Obey Gravity, it's the law!

      John

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2011
        Hi, car engine mounts are oil resistant rubber, bonded to metal plates, might be easier to modify the pre-manufactured mount.
        Regards jb

        > is impervious, or least highly resistant to, oil.
        >
        > I am refurbishing an old machine tool (die filer) and the
        > motor
        > was originally mounted on rubber pads. The rubber pads were
        > sandwiched
        > between two metal plates. Over the years the original
        > rubber has
        > deteriorated and needs to be replaced.
        >
        > The setup is a bit odd, but the rubber needs to adhere to
        > the plates.
        >
        > Easy to remold these things, but not so easy to get the
        > pads to stick to
        > the plates AND be resistant to the oil that always seems to
        > spill from
        > the motor.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        >
        > DOC

        >     casting-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Old Red Driver
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2011
          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, doc <danieloconnell@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone suggest a PU rubber that's about 30 shore and
          > (now here's the catch :-))
          > is impervious, or least highly resistant to, oil.
          >
          > I am refurbishing an old machine tool (die filer) and the motor
          > was originally mounted on rubber pads. The rubber pads were sandwiched
          > between two metal plates. Over the years the original rubber has
          > deteriorated and needs to be replaced.

          Doc, you don't give any dimensions for the mounts, but how about some automotive motor mounts or something like this:
          <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Tank-Mount-Isolator-Machinery-Vehicle-Tractor-/250622957763?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5a4ad8c3>
          Unless of course, you desire the satisfaction of creating your own.

          Gary.
        • Oliver T.
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2011
            For designed-for-machinery anti-vibration mounts, do a search
            on:

            Vibro-Stop;
            Novibra Type C, HK, RA, RAEM, M, SAW, TF, VT & VTM;
            Mago-BLOK/FIX/FLEX/ROTULA

            As well, many of the Industrial/Garage/Food Service/Farming
            walk-on pads/mats would serve as oil-resistant anti-vibration
            mounts.

            Oliver T.
            Therzawhey, NB