Best Platinum Cure Silicone

  • Didj Effects
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 10:57 PM
      I've been using TAP Platinum Cure Silicone on a few projects and I really like the low viscosity pours, and the clear, strong, flexible molds, seems to pay for itself pretty quickly.  But I've got some big projects coming up and wonder if anyone here has another clear platinum cure they like better, maybe Smooth-on Sorta Clear?

      thanks,
      -=cam

    • Ray K
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2 6:44 AM
        I use the P-44 Translucent from Innovative Polymers; works great! In fact,
        I just bought another 50# kit yesterday.

        I have also used Dow Corning's T4 translucent and like it very well.
        Innovative is only about 18 miles from my workshop though, and that REALLY
        saves on shipping ;-)

        http://www.innovative-polymers.com/rtv-silicone-rubbers

        On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 1:57 AM, Didj Effects <didjeffects@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I've been using TAP Platinum Cure Silicone on a few projects and I really
        > like the low viscosity pours, and the clear, strong, flexible molds, seems
        > to pay for itself pretty quickly. But I've got some big projects coming up
        > and wonder if anyone here has another clear platinum cure they like better,
        > maybe Smooth-on Sorta Clear?
        >
        > thanks,
        > -=cam

        Ray Kotke
        http://telephonecreations.com

      • ramillerf1
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7 9:49 PM
          Try using the Thixotropic Additive available at TAP Plastics. Mixing a small amount of this liquid into their Platinum Silicone thickens it to the consistency of Mayonnaise and allows you to brush it on. Being able to brush it on allows for a thinner glove type mold meaning you use considerably less of the expensive Platinum Cure Silicone. You have to make a supporting mother mold to reduce the chance of the silicone mold distorting. The mother mold can be made of fiberglass resin and mat or even from plaster.
          Russ

          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Didj Effects <didjeffects@...> wrote:

          > I've been using TAP Platinum Cure Silicone on a few projects and I really like the low viscosity pours, and the clear, strong, flexible molds, seems to pay for itself pretty quickly.  But I've got some big projects coming up and wonder if anyone here has another clear platinum cure they like better, maybe Smooth-on Sorta Clear?
          >
          > thanks,
          > -=cam

        • Didj Effects
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7 10:17 PM
            I'm ok with the cost, I think it pays for itself with time saved in easier pours & demolding and more durable molds.  I'm minimizing the  amount of silicone I use by 3D printing my masters - some waste but really nice placement and gates and registration, I'll post some pics once I'm further along.  I will try the Thixotropic Additive for some pieces where I'm casting onto wood and will need glove molds, thanks for the tip.  Thanks for all the responses everybody, I think I'll try a Innovative Polymers kit, too, looks like the P-20 is their TAP equivalent.

            thanks,
            -=cam