RE: [casting] Re: New hydrocal kits from Downtown Deco

  • John Smithers
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hi Randy
      you do new masters for each scale? wow i am impressed... how do you keep it consistent in each scale considering error factors?
      or do you use sls printing or 3d rapid prototype technology ?
      John Smithers
      Railmotor Models

      > To: casting@yahoogroups.com
      > From: downtowndeco@...
      > Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:08:42 +0000
      > Subject: [casting] Re: New hydrocal kits from Downtown Deco
      >
      > I have to competely do a new master for each scale.
      >
      > Randy
      >
      > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "advancedterrain" <fudder@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm curious how you do the different scales... complete different masters, or is there some technique to resizing?
      > >
      > > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "downtowndeco" <downtowndeco@> wrote:
      > > > Check out the new kit (available in in N, HO & O Scales), Patterson's Hardware.

    • downtowndeco
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
        I use an X Acto knife, some chisels, a dental pick or two and a magnifier. I cannot simply scale them down exactly because I need to make sure that the plastic doors and windows taht are available fit.

        Randy

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
          Hi randy
          thank you for sharing on how you do it.
          what material you use for masters?
          I use plaster/hydro cal and poor into a flat try and start from there.
          I am wanting to produce some australian buildings but not sure where to start at the top or the bottom.
          my thinking is along the lines start a the top and work my way down detailing as i go.
          the thinking behind this is i will not be placing my hands on/over work i have completed
          and by starting at the top i can detail as i go and use fresh plaster to repair any damage,any spills from the fresh plaster should not splash onto my work.
          John Smithers
          Railmotor Models