Re: re-forming styrene rod

  • Lee m-s
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
      I used to work with glass rods; you can heat the glass rod over a torch and
      pull "stringer," long, very skinny rods.
      If you try this with styrene, you might want to start with a thicker rod,
      maybe 1/4" diameter. Heat the center of the rod, and test pull until it
      starts to elongate, then pull evenly, moving the heat toward one end of the
      original rod to keep a fresh supply of styrene molten. With practice, you
      get a nice, even thickness. Not so sure about accurate diameter, though!
      Lee

      I want to create small pieces of cylindrical styrene rod about 1.5" long
      and 0.2175" in diameter with a partial groove along one side and one end
      tapered. I am currently hand sanding styrene rod with diameter = 0.25, but
      I would like to automate the process for quicker production and
      standardized quality.

    • bnpmodeler
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
        CKA and group;

        It sounds like your frustration is in not having the right diameter of rod. To that end, it sounds as if you need a draw plate such as seen here:

        http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=DRA410

        Note that the stated smallest diameter is conflicting - they say .12 mm or 3/32" - that would be 1.2mm. You may be able to find larger-sized ones from a jewelry and findings supply house (Google will help here). Failing that, for the size rod you want, a lathe will do nicely. Or a shop equipped with a lathe...

        Hope this helps - a vac-former is not what you seek.

        Jim Harr
        Stella Scale Models
        www.stellascalemodels.com