RE: [casting] Supplier question, looking for suggestions.

  • JCTrucks
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
      http://www.jgreer.com/

      http://stores.ebay.com/World-of-JCT?refid=store

      _____

      From: casting@yahoogroups.com [mailto:casting@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Captainod
      Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:18 AM
      To: casting@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [casting] Supplier question, looking for suggestions.

      I am a long time lurker and used to do a fair amount of casting in the past. I am currently in Iraq, again, and having more time on
      my hands, want to try to make some molds of relief based carvings I am finding here in country. I want make some molds and then save
      them and cast in resin once I return. Some of these are small, others ranging up to roughly two feet square. The textures range from
      smooth to rough stone.

      I will then use a two part resin and cast with possibly reinforcing material such as fiber glass strands or something.

      Can somebody recommend a supplier of materials as I am out of touch and that could ship to an APO AE address. The question of course
      will be can it be shipped through regular mail?

      Sincerely,
      Bob O'Donovan

    • Ken Burney
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
        As a guy who has spent more time than I care for in Iraq I will tell you
        that you will not get anything shipped to you through APO from casting
        companies. It all has to be shipped UPS or Fed-Ex. Depending on where you
        are at you might be able to get Fed-Ex but will have to work for it is kind
        of a pain in the butt. You might try to use RTV from a tube I know you
        should be able to find it local. Maybe in the motor pool if you sweet talk
        someone. Send me a message off line and I might have some ideas for you on
        how to get something you can work with.

        Ken the guy from AR

        _____

        I am a long time lurker and used to do a fair amount of casting in the past.
        I am currently in Iraq, again, and having more time on my hands, want to try
        to make some molds of relief based carvings I am finding here in country. I
        want make some molds and then save them and cast in resin once I return.
        Some of these are small, others ranging up to roughly two feet square. The
        textures range from smooth to rough stone.

        I will then use a two part resin and cast with possibly reinforcing material
        such as fiber glass strands or something.

        Can somebody recommend a supplier of materials as I am out of touch and that
        could ship to an APO AE address. The question of course will be can it be
        shipped through regular mail?

        Sincerely,
        Bob O'Donovan

        _____

        size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0" align=center>

        No virus found in this message.

      • JCTrucks
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
          RTV from a tube,,,, do you mean the stuff we use to make gaskets? I don't think that would be to easy to separate from the master..
          Isn't that tube stuff different?

          Jay

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
            As long as you put some release on it, something like petroleum jelly,
            should work just takes forever to set. It will set quicker under water I
            hear.

            Ken the guy from AR

            _____

            RTV from a tube,,,, do you mean the stuff we use to make gaskets? I don't
            think that would be to easy to separate from the master..
            Isn't that tube stuff different?

            Jay

            http://stores.ebay.com/World-of-JCT?refid=store

            1/87 model trucks-come join-> Subscribe:

            _____

            From: casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:casting@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
              Actually single component tube RTV DOESN'T set in a closed
              environment since it needs air moisture to cure. I know since one
              of my favorite mold projects arrived after a designer had a small
              plastic mold machined out for his silicone rubber "T" grommet",
              filled it with bathtub sealer RTV and found it upsetting when he
              opened up and found it as wet as when he put it in the day before.

              There was an old message left here by Doc a while ago (which
              he copied from his FIRST message), and I quote:

              "Thanks for this information.

              And if I may pass it on, the secret formula is:

              To each ounce of silicone add 4 or 5 drops of glycerine
              and one drop of acrylic (water based) paint.

              The glycerine adds water to the silicone and the paint
              lets you know when you have mixed thoroughly.

              DOC"

              A least I got to improve greatly on it since I devised a "reverse
              osmosis" (not really, but it sounds good) way to fill it by using
              a vacuum chamber. TOTALLY bubble free, at that.

              Think of it this way, if in COULD cure in an enclosed space HOW
              would you ever squeeze it out of the tube..... where it would have cured if
              it was in any way possible.

              Ted Quick

              > As long as you put some release on it, something like petroleum jelly,
              > should work just takes forever to set. It will set quicker under water I
              > hear.
              >

              > Ken the guy from AR
              >

              > _____

            • doc
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 14, 2011
                At 04:48 PM 13/01/2011, you wrote:

                >Think of it this way, if in COULD cure in an enclosed space HOW
                >would you ever squeeze it out of the tube..... where it would have cured if
                >it was in any way possible.
                >
                >Ted Quick

                Say. I've got LOTS of hard tubes. :-)

                Well actually, as you prolly know, what happens is that the part near
                the nozzle
                hardens up to the point where you get frustrated and just chuck it.

                I've used some of this gasket former RTV. Must be a different formula
                because it doesn't seem to harden in the tube but firms up when you
                apply it as a gasket.

                DOC

                Something about beer...
                http://bogusbeer.appspot.com
              • Iron Rook
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2011
                  Maybe you could get the molds you need using something like this.

                  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Sugru-Substitute/

                  It's just silicone caulking and corn starch. Perhaps that is things you could find where you are?

                  On Jan 13, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Captainod wrote:

                  > I am a long time lurker and used to do a fair amount of casting in the past. I am currently in Iraq, again, and having more time on my hands, want to try to make some molds of relief based carvings I am finding here in country. I want make some molds and then save them and cast in resin once I return. Some of these are small, others ranging up to roughly two feet square. The textures range from smooth to rough stone.
                  >
                  > I will then use a two part resin and cast with possibly reinforcing material such as fiber glass strands or something.
                  >
                  > Can somebody recommend a supplier of materials as I am out of touch and that could ship to an APO AE address. The question of course will be can it be shipped through regular mail?
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Bob O'Donovan

                • Kerry Wentworth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 15, 2011
                    Have you tried talking to someone at the PX to see if they could get it
                    for you?

                    Kerry

                    --
                    Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                  • Evyn MacDude
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 15, 2011
                      Alginate and plaster, both should ship through the Post.

                      Use the alginate to make a temporary mold make a plaster cast from which a
                      reproduction mold can be cast at a later date.

                      Just an idea. Plaster should also be available in-country.

                      --
                      Evyn

                    • Captainod
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 16, 2011
                        I wanted to thank all of the members who have responded to my request for suggestions. I have been on the "road" the last three days, but hope to act on them and see what I can do. I have a lot of projects on my "list" and will report on how or if they work out. Sincerely, Bob OD

                      • Ross
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                          Hi, check out the Instructables website - there are articles there on how to turn some types of tube RTV into castable or moldable rtv. To add bulk and moisture they recommend adding corn starch. Search for Oogoo (a homemade type of Sugru)

                          http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Sugru-Substitute/step3/Mixing-Oogoo/

                          Cheers
                          Ross (in NZ)