Re: [casting] New Member looking for advice and help for a project

  • Mike Bauers
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2010
      Get the MSDS for the specific Smooth-on products you use, and the
      safety warnings on those and you'll be fine.

      However, if you discover you are not following some of those safety
      'mandates', make the needed corrections.

      This is the opinion of someone that has to use chemicals that have
      detailed warnings on the MSDS and his employer never gets around to
      supplying the proper safety equipment. don't breathe, get vapors in
      eyes, don't get on skin, don't get on shoes. Specific supplied safety
      equipment is nil. Then they store some frequently used general tools
      in the spray area that people grab and use with their bare hands. this
      chemical is mostly a oil product used for rust prevention. But it
      stings the eyes and you don't want to absorb it.

      A coworker that always worked in a cloud of 'harmless' heated coolants
      at his production machine died early with a nasty cancer. He never
      protected himself in any way.

      Be careful, protect yourself well, not just somewhat. Start with the
      MSDS.

      That reminds me, I want to buy some respirator mask gear and a
      suitable mask or mist-proof googles for work........... Try and be

      Best to ya,
      Mike Bauers
      Milwaukee, Wi