metal casting

  • yorkiepoo50
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
      Hello, I am new to the group.

      I am wanting to start a business of casting metal miniatures for dollhouses, dioramas and scenes.

      I know I need a vuclanizer for the molds, a spincaster, a small furnace and the molds. Am I missing anything?

      do I need to worry about the odor put off from doing this..as in the fumes getting into the neighborhood air?

      Thanks for any help you can give me.

      Millie H
      GSOLFOT
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2010
        Hi, although the equipment you have listed is good for doing high volume casting, there is another, cheaper option. Smooth-On corporation makes a two part RTV silicone molding rubber that is suitable for casting tin and pewter in. It's called Mold Max 60, and you can find information on it here:
        http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1113_1135/index.html

        I don' know if this would be a viable option for you, but it's certainly cheaper than buying a spin caster and vulcanizer. Dow Corning used to make a similar product, but I'm not sure if they still do. Regards,

        Pat Lawless

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "yorkiepoo50" <yorkiepoo50@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am new to the group.
        >
        > I am wanting to start a business of casting metal miniatures for dollhouses, dioramas and scenes.
        >
        > I know I need a vuclanizer for the molds, a spincaster, a small furnace and the molds. Am I missing anything?
        >
        > do I need to worry about the odor put off from doing this..as in the fumes getting into the neighborhood air?
        >

        > Thanks for any help you can give me.
        >
        > Millie H
        > GSOLFOT

      • J. mendoza
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2010
          Yes,

          You should get safety protection. Eye protection , if you plan on keeping your
          eyesight. A respirator, for your health, with the correct filters. Some hand
          protection, to protect your skin.

          You should worry about yourself first, then your neighbor. You can install
          filters , to filter air going out.

          jm

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2010
            Thank you for the help offered. I had thought of the protection but hadn't listed it.

            Millie gsolfot