Re: Smooth On C-1508

  • . _ .
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2010
      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "therapygarden_com" <Debbi@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Can anyone help with this material (Smooth On C-1508)?
      >
      > We developed bubbles during the curing process, which left a varity of bubbles/pockmarks on the surface. Other than sanding it out, is there another solution (filler/solvent, etc.)??
      >
      > Thanks for any help!
      >
      > Deb

      I have tried Smooth-On before. All I ever got was tiny micro bubbles
      all over the part being cast. I tried their help-line, they had no
      answers, infact they thought I was off my keel because they never
      heard of it happening before. After trying every known methoid from
      heating the molds, to chilling them, from heating the resin, to
      cooling it, from doing 2 of them together, to everything inbetween,
      I gave up.

      I live at high altitude here in Colorado. Resin seems to act really
      stupid up here. All resins have a POT-LIFE, but up here that simple
      pot-life is reduced by more than half. Smooth-On seems to be the
      worst resin at high altitudes. I have found that using Alumilite
      is fairly good. But I much prefer MicroMark.com resin CR-900.

      That works best at high altitudes with little to no humidity.
      Which Colorado suffers from both. If you live above 4,000ft above
      sea level, you may wish to give them a look at. I have found its
      the easiest resin to use up here. Most resins are designed to work
      between sea level and 3500ft. And what works in that range, doesn't
      work up here. You may wish to experiment to find the resin that best
      works where you live. But CR-900 I feel is the best.
    • Chuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
        I also use talcum powder. I don't think that its purpose is to absorb water, rather it prevents air bubbles from sticking to the surface of the mold. You can buy cheap baby powder, but make sure it is talc and not corn starch. Though I have never tried corn starch, I've heard it does not work the same.

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "J. mendoza" <mndzblue@...> wrote:

        > I sometimes have used talcum powder and it seems to absorb some moisture because
        > i see less bubbles.
        > jm
        >

        > ________________________________

      • J. mendoza
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
          That is correct , it's purpose is not for absorbing water, that isn't the reason
          I use it. Does it absorb moisture? Is it wet or dry substance? That's for you
          to decide, I have already made my observation.

          Fact: ambient moisture has an negative affect to the amount of air bubbles
          when casting.
          jm

          ________________________________
          I also use talcum powder. I don't think that its purpose is to absorb water,
          rather it prevents air bubbles from sticking to the surface of the mold. You
          can buy cheap baby powder, but make sure it is talc and not corn starch. Though
          I have never tried corn starch, I've heard it does not work the same.

          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "J. mendoza" <mndzblue@...> wrote:

          > I sometimes have used talcum powder and it seems to absorb some moisture
          >because
          >
          > i see less bubbles.
          > jm

        • ssppmmmm
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
            Here are the two routes I would take. first, vacuum the a and B parts after they are mixed. This will remove a lot of trapped air do it to 29 inches of mercury. If this does not solve the problem after degassing pour contents into the mold and place in a pressure vessel. This will alsays get rid of air pockets even if the resin was exposed to humidity. I know this first hand.

            Scott