moulding update

  • vintagepowerplus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
      hi guys

      i have just tried my first epoxy resin cast
      into the 2 piece moulds that i have made
      the only problem that i encountered was that the pouring appature was a little to small and i had trouble getting the resin to run into the mould

      also when i put the mould into the vacuum chamber the resin expanded and run over the top of the mould so i had to do a bit at a time
      so i think that i should make the pouring appature a lot bigger

      just have to wait 36 hours now to let the resin cure at room tempriture
      i know that i can heat it to speed things up but the makers say slow is good for shrinkage

      hope this makes sence

      barry
    • Richard Brennan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
        At 06:49 AM 1/2/2010, vintagepowerplus wrote:
        <snip>
        >also when i put the mould into the vacuum chamber the
        >resin expanded and run over the top of the mould so i had to do a
        >bit at a time
        >so i think that i should make the pouring appature a lot bigger

        ?? I thought that the standard procedure for those with
        vacuum+pressure capability was:
        1) vacuum the resin in the pour container first...
        2) then pour into mold...
        3) then pressurize...
        4) let cure...

        Do I have it wrong again... to start the new decade?

        Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
      • Tom Banwell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
          Richard, you got it right (though there are many exceptions to the rule). Happy new decade!

          Tom
          Tom Banwell Designs Inc
          www.lumicast.com
          www.tombanwell.etsy.com