Glass casting

  • wizatlarge
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
      Any such thing as a flexible mold product that will stand up to 1500 degrees F?

      I want to cast some glass chess pieces, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Normally I'd use clay. But to make chess pieces I'd need a multi part mold. I don't know nuthin about multi part clay molds and glass casting. All the molds I've seen for glass are just one piece. That's all it takes to make a bowl or a dish.

      Obviously I ain't seen everything, because I know it can be done. You can buy a chess set right off the shelf with Staunton style chess pieces made of glass.

      Any ideas?

      Cheers,

      Gabe
    • don norris
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
        The only rubber mold material (Silastic E from Dow-Corning) that wil take a high temperature only goes up to 800 degrees, and then the molds do not last long anyway. If they get a rubber up to 1500 and especially 1700 degrees it would revolutionize casting especially jewelry casting. I am interested to see if anyone else has an idea for mold material that would work for this.
        Don Norris
        learnsilver.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
          > Any such thing as a flexible mold product that will stand up to 1500
          > degrees F?

          Sorry, no.

          > I want to cast some glass chess pieces, but I'm not sure how to go
          > about it. Normally I'd use clay. But to make chess pieces I'd need a
          > multi part mold. I don't know nuthin about multi part clay molds and
          > glass casting. All the molds I've seen for glass are just one piece.
          > That's all it takes to make a bowl or a dish.
          >
          > Obviously I ain't seen everything, because I know it can be done. You
          > can buy a chess set right off the shelf with Staunton style chess
          > pieces made of glass.
          >
          > Any ideas?

          The 'off the shelf' pieces are machine molded. For your quantity, your best
          bet is lost wax:

          * Make the original piece(s) ... clay is fine here.

          * Make a rubber mold of the original

          * Pull waxes from the rubber mold

          * Gate, vent, and invest the waxes. Steam/burn out the wax.

          * Either pour hot glass into the investment, or kiln cast.

          * After annealing, break away the investment. De-gate, clean, grind, &
          polish.

          HTH

          Malcolm

          --
          Malcolm Spann
          ARTCO
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
            Wow, this has me thinking. Can you centrically cast class just as you do Silver?
            Don Norris
            learnsilver.com

            > Any such thing as a flexible mold product that will stand up to 1500
            > degrees F?

            Sorry, no.

            > I want to cast some glass chess pieces, but I'm not sure how to go
            > about it. Normally I'd use clay. But to make chess pieces I'd need a
            > multi part mold. I don't know nuthin about multi part clay molds and
            > glass casting. All the molds I've seen for glass are just one piece.
            > That's all it takes to make a bowl or a dish.
            >
            > Obviously I ain't seen everything, because I know it can be done. You
            > can buy a chess set right off the shelf with Staunton style chess
            > pieces made of glass.
            >
            > Any ideas?

            The 'off the shelf' pieces are machine molded. For your quantity, your best
            bet is lost wax:

            * Make the original piece(s) ... clay is fine here.

            * Make a rubber mold of the original

            * Pull waxes from the rubber mold

            * Gate, vent, and invest the waxes. Steam/burn out the wax.

            * Either pour hot glass into the investment, or kiln cast.

            * After annealing, break away the investment. De-gate, clean, grind, &
            polish.

            HTH

            Malcolm

            --
            Malcolm Spann
            ARTCO
            http://www.artcoinc.com
            +1.408.288.7978 (voice)
            +1.408.288.7832 (FAX)
            sales@...

          • Corey Minion
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
              You can make carbon block molds too

              _____

              > Any such thing as a flexible mold product that will stand up to 1500
              > degrees F?

              Sorry, no.

              > I want to cast some glass chess pieces, but I'm not sure how to go
              > about it. Normally I'd use clay. But to make chess pieces I'd need a
              > multi part mold. I don't know nuthin about multi part clay molds and
              > glass casting. All the molds I've seen for glass are just one piece.
              > That's all it takes to make a bowl or a dish.
              >
              > Obviously I ain't seen everything, because I know it can be done. You
              > can buy a chess set right off the shelf with Staunton style chess
              > pieces made of glass.
              >
              > Any ideas?

              The 'off the shelf' pieces are machine molded. For your quantity, your best
              bet is lost wax:

              * Make the original piece(s) ... clay is fine here.

              * Make a rubber mold of the original

              * Pull waxes from the rubber mold

              * Gate, vent, and invest the waxes. Steam/burn out the wax.

              * Either pour hot glass into the investment, or kiln cast.

              * After annealing, break away the investment. De-gate, clean, grind, &
              polish.

              HTH

              Malcolm

              --
              Malcolm Spann
              ARTCO
              http://www.artcoinc <http://www.artcoinc.com> .com
              +1.408.288.7978 (voice)
              +1.408.288.7832 (FAX)
              sales@artcoinc. <mailto:sales%40artcoinc.com> com

              database 4474 (20091001) __________

              http://www.eset.com

            • Malcolm Spann
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
                > You can make carbon block molds too

                Carbon (graphite) is fine if you want to ladle cast into them, pop the piece
                out hot, and anneal them. It doesn't stand up well for kiln casting, though.

                Malcolm

                --
                Malcolm Spann
                ARTCO