Re: I am going to buy a vacuum chamber soon -- looking for bids and sources...

  • Jack Mc Kie
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
      Mike,

      Though you said you didn't want to make anything I found an excellent solution to the same problem when I needed a vacuum chamber.

      While looking at commercial (about $800) vacuuum bell jars with pump/base I noticed replacement jars. I bought a replacement 12" jar from Contenti for $129 and a robinair vacuum pump on ebay. I just made a simple aluminum base plate and used a valve/hose/fittings from Home Depot.

      The end result was a professional type vacuum bell jar that is easy/fast to use. It took a couple of hours to assemble and would have been less w/o the sprung feet.

      Though maybe more than you wish to tackle it ended up better than the alternatives at a great price. Maybe something to consider?

      Jack

      PS I really like teh Robinaire pump.

      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "mmitchell_houston" <mmitchell_houston@...> wrote:

      > Over the past week, it's become obvious that I'm going to need a vacuum
      > chamber to improve the quality of my silicone molds and decrease the
      > amount of bubbles in my resin. So, the ability to achieve 29 inches of
      > mercury is essential for this piece of equipment.
      >
      > Right now I'm looking seriously at purchasing one of these two models:
      >
      > 3-gal tank with 10-inch interior diameter:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-CFM-Vacuum-Pump-and-3-Gal-Vacuum-Chamber-NEW_W0Q\
      > QitemZ250477599514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Pumps?hash=item3a51a0db1a&_trksi\
      > d=p3286.c0.m14
      >
      > 5-gal tank with 12-inch interior diamter:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250466961939
      >
      > I like the width of these pots (particularly the larger one), and the
      > fact that everything is all together and I'm not having to put it all
      > together from parts and then HOPE it all works. I don't have time to
      > fiddle with something. I need a solution quickly.
      >
      > That being said, I'm NOT looking for any "how to" advice on how to
      > build my own. I've already decided that don't want to. I have a budget
      > of $300 - $500, including shipping and taxes. If you can recommend a
      > dealer who can provide me with a good vacuum chamber (new or used), or
      > even build me one yourself (I would need photos of yours and we'd have
      > to talk about the specs and your ability to get it to me within a week
      > or two), then please contact me:
      >
      > Mike Mitchell, Houston, Texas
      > mmitchell_houston [- A - T- ] yahoo [ - d - o - t - c - o - m -]
      > And yes, I've garbled my e-mail address in an effort to confuse any
      > spambots out there. ;-)
      >
      > I'm hoping one of you guys can help me. Thanks in advance for your help!
      >
      > Mike

    • mmitchell_houston
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2009
        Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to go with one of the posts I mentioned in my earlier posts.

        Mike