After casting, what do you do with remaining melted pewter?

  • Zac and Dianne
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi All, We are (finally!) just about ready to cast our first pewter figure. We have a few more questions... first, we have a 1-lb. ingot of pewter to melt, but the figure won't take anywhere near that much. What do you do with the remaining melted pewter? We've looked into ingot molds but they all seem to be much bigger than the amount would require. Also, we bought Hob-E-Lube graphite "with molybdenum." Is that OK, or will the molybdenum be a problem? Thanks, everyone, your help is greatly appreciated! Zac
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
        I use a Lee melting pot for pewter and they recommend leaving a little in it to help the next melt start quicker. You can just pull your 1 pound ingot out before the whole thing melts if you don't need that much. I'm not sure what to say on the molybdenum...Is it like a grease paste? If so, I can't imagine that that would be good.

        Dave D

        PS I did a video casting some pewter bells...Here is a link to a page where I have the videos posted.
      • Zac and Dianne
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
          Hi, Thanks for the information! I read somewhere that graphite can be purchased at Home Depot so I'm going to give them a try. Didn't think of pulling out the ingot. I don't think I got the link to the pewter bells video. If you would post the link again, I'd really appreciate it.
          Thanks again, Zac