Re: Build your own Spin Caster for White Metal casting/ thanks

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2009
      Tim, Thanks for the pictures...I had to run through them a few times to figure out how everything goes together.

      I would love to see your molds and pictures of how you make them too.

      Thanks again,

      Dave D
      http://metalshop.homestead.com
    • sgt_tim7
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 29 7:59 PM
        I want to throw this message thread out there once more for all those that have not seen it.

        You need to go to the bottom of the page and start with the first ever message I wrote. Very informative for those wanting to cast small parts on a budget!

        Tim

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

        > Here are Links to the Photos of my Modified Spin Caster!
        >
        > Remember, this was designed to use either a 6inch or 9inch mold.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/d27s27 Modified Centrifuge, shows a large handle on front to raise the lid.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/crdbza Back showing the hinge I installed to raise the lid.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c5gym3 Shows the lid open.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c9g8nn The inside.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/dyxgja Shows the bottom plate.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/co3596 Shows the bottom of the plate.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/chdrpt Shows the bottom of the plate from a different angle.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/d9fsdd Shows a 6inch round mold on the plate
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/crsvru Shows the top plate on mold with wing nuts.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/cgks78 Ladle from Micro-Mark and the LEE Meltor
        >
        > When I first took the photos of my spin caster I tried to post them to the file section but the Group Moderators have removed that option for the common groupsters such as myself. If they feel posting these photos will greatly help any and all who are wanting to do spin casting from home without paying the high prices, then they can contact me any time for the photos.
        >
        > Pictures say a thousand words. If I would have seen photos like what I have posted, I would have been a 2+ year veteran of spin casting instead of a Newbie!!!
        >
        > Enjoy!!
        >
        > Tim
        >
        > p.s. a key word to always remember when building your molds. "Venting" How will I vent the mold! It is a technique I am still learning. Doing quite well with my castings. Have a 85%+ ratio of great castings.

      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 9, 2009
> [...]
          >
          > All three of the links have wordage and photos that basically
          > show/tell you what Mr Merriman used to make his spin caster and how
          > he makes his molds.
          >
          > Ebay keyword search for; "Centrifuge" make sure you get one that is
          > similar to what is pictured in the above links. I got mine for
          > $125. I removed the brass test tube holder, and modified it by
          > machining and adding 1/8" aluminum plates, bolts, and wingnuts. It
          > was a little more complicated than this but if anyone wants to see
          > photos of what I did, just reply this message and I will take them
          > and post them in the Photo section.
          >
          > I modified my centrifuge with safety in mind. I purchased a meltor
          > from Lee
          >
          > http://www.leeprecision.com
          > has a small meltor capable of melting 4lbs of lead and a larger
          > meltor that can handle 20lbs of lead. Lee sells mainly to people
          > who reload ammunition so that is where the "lead" word comes into
          > play. The small meltor is $44 and the larger is $69.
          >
          > I have a small metal ladle from Micro-Mark that I use.
          > http://www.micro-mark.com
          > I would also suggest getting some of their modeling clay for
          > casting. It is the stuff that will not react with the RTV liquid.
          >
          > I purchased a large bag of dusting talc powder from Iasco-Tesco for
          > $2.50 a lb. It is a large bag going to last years.
          > http://www.iasco-tesco.com
          > I suggest calling them and requesting a physical catalog.
          >
          > I use MPK white metal that is free of lead and is strong. I can get
          > an ingot for about $73 on ebay. The seller is Hallmark Metals, or
          > you can go to their website and deal direct thru them
          > http://www.hallmarkmetals.net
          > Not much of a website, but does have contact info.
          >
          > The RTV rubber Mr Merriman uses is called TC-5050 A/B and can be
          > purchased from BJB Enterprises for $109 + $30 shipping in a gallon
          > size. The shore hardness of this RTV is 50A while Smooth-on has
          > their OOMOO at 25A and 30A shore hardness. Viscosity is also
          > higher. I am guessing that the stuff Micro-Mark sells is also from
          > Smooth-on, but not sure.
          > http://www.bjbenterprises.com
          > I have used the Micro-Mark RTV but have gotten distortions and non-
          > alignments using it.
          >

          > This is everything I can think of besides posting photos of what I
          > have personally done myself. The best thing about doing metal
          > casting the Merriman way is you can use styrene plastic Masters to
          > make your molds. No need for brass machined master parts.
          >
          > Now, what I have just posted here is an Enormous Value of
          > information and should help anyone having a desire to start white
          > metal casting and not pay a fortune to get started.
          >
          > If you want photos, I will take and post them in the Photo section.
          > Take and use this valuable info. I suggest you write down all of
          > the website links I have provided and bookmark there home pages so
          > you will have easy access to them in the future.

          Oct 9, 2009 - What Say You? Re-post
          Tim
        • sgt_tim7
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 11, 2009
            --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "minicurios" <minicurios@...> wrote:

            > Hi Tim
            >
            > Thanks for the info, I have been a member for a ong time and haven't seen your posting before!
            >
            > I thik it would be very helpful to everyone if you added some pics to the file area so that we can all see your machine. It would be a good idea for future members searchng for info to build a machine as well.
            >
            > The Merriman machine is quite small, what size molds and castings do you make from your machine?
            >
            > Thanks again
            > Andrea

            I posted some of the castings that I have produced from this machine in the photo section. Will upload more soon. I basically model in 1:220 scale, Z scale model trains.

            Tim
          • pramodisha
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 11, 2009
              Hi Tim,

              Thanks for this post. I have read through it and the links that you have posted have been shifted to the new website where I could not locate the information.

              I have been wanting to start centrifugal white metal casting in my workshop since quite some time. I am based in India.

              can you please post more details and pictures.

              Thanks.
              Pramod Agrawal.