Re: [casting] Re: What kind of ladle do I need for pewter casting?

  • Charles Anderson
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 16, 2009
      Wimp ;-p

      Nah seriously I cannot recommend enough the need for proper foot
      protection, the toes and top of the foot are extremely heat sensitive,
      having had various metals, glass and scale sticking to various body
      parts when they stick in-between your toes you really have to grit your
      teeth.

      Regards Charles from Oz

      Robert Hayes wrote:

      >Micro-Mark sells the ladle in their stock,I use it (I have 2) to cast metal in my HSll DC RTV.(Helpful hint: Dont;t wear sandals while pouring hot metal!?)

    • Robert Hayes
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 16, 2009
        Feels almost as good as a lap full of resin whn the mold slips outta' yer hand and yer wearing summer shorts. NOT good for the constitution!

        Robert Hayes wrote:

        >Micro-Mark sells the ladle in their stock,I use it (I have 2) to cast metal in my HSll DC RTV.(Helpful hint: Dont;t wear sandals while pouring hot metal!?)

      • John Hagen
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 16, 2009
          Sounds like the voice of experience.

          John Hagen

          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hayes" <steckel@...> wrote:

          > Feels almost as good as a lap full of resin whn the mold slips outta' yer hand and yer wearing summer shorts. NOT good for the constitution!
        • twtisme
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 16, 2009
            --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Zac and Dianne" <zdromano@...> wrote:

            > Hi All, Do I need to continue to go crazy looking for a castiron ladle, or will stainless steel do? I'll be ladling into an RTV mold. Thanks in advance! Zac
            >Good Evening Zac
            A good source for a cast iron ladle is www.lodgemfg.com. Among their speciality items is a 14 ounce melting pot with handle. Just convenient size...hope this helps...Tom
          • twtisme
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 16, 2009
              Good Evening Everyone

              A good source for a cast iron ladle is www.lodgemfg.com
              <http://www.lodgemfg.com> . They have a 14 ounce melting pot in their
              speciality items. Hope this is what you are looking for...

              Tom

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 16, 2009
                Good Evening Everyone

                A good source for a cast iron melting pot is www.lodgemfg.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 16, 2009
                  Translation" Experience" = Younger,dumb and stupid! When removing a 1/8th scale body from the male 1/2 of the mold it's often necessary to hold it in your lap and pour some isopropyl alcohol inside the mold to assist the RTV in being more "slickery" Where the body DOES release from the RTV there is often a giant,sudden flush of the alcohol directly into one's crotch. Another episode-along w/ hot lead twixt the toes, resin in the crotch and rather chilly "down there" parts... of that caster's life experience.. It IS an experience!!
                  > Feels almost as good as a lap full of resin whn the mold slips outta' yer hand and yer wearing summer shorts. NOT good for the constitution!

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 18, 2009
                    I have a small Lee melting pot that I simply lift up...with gloves...and pour. It has worked well for me!

                    Dave D
                    http://metalshop.homestead.com

                    --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Zac and Dianne" <zdromano@...> wrote:

                    > Hi All, Do I need to continue to go crazy looking for a castiron ladle, or will stainless steel do? I'll be ladling into an RTV mold. Thanks in advance! Zac

                  • Dennis Cranston
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 18, 2009
                      I use a little larger Lee pot that has a bottom spout. Its not worth it. If
                      its not frozen when I try to open it, it gets a particle stuck in the valve
                      when I try to close it. The draining of the pot on my desk because I cant
                      shut the valve off is not the best way to enjoy casting.

                      The ladle works just fine (I have used a gravy ladle for larger pours).

                      Dennis in Houston

                      Of
                      > Dave
                      > Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:32 AM
                      > To: casting@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [casting] Re: What kind of ladle do I need for pewter casting?
                      >
                      > I have a small Lee melting pot that I simply lift up...with gloves...and
                      pour. It has
                      > worked well for me!
                      >
                      > Dave D
                      > http://metalshop.homestead.com
                      >

                      > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Zac and Dianne" <zdromano@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi All, Do I need to continue to go crazy looking for a castiron ladle,
                      or will
                      > stainless steel do? I'll be ladling into an RTV mold. Thanks in advance!
                      Zac

                    • ahz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 18, 2009
                        I have a hard time believing that a ladle is that hard to find. If it
                        is, get thee to a blacksmith and get one made to your specification.
                        Probably will cost very little and be an entertaining project for the
                        smith. You can also hop onto some gun forums and ask what the reloaders
                        and muzzle-loaders there use.

                        Here's a smith in Louisville. I have chatted with him but have no
                        affiliation, yadda. http://www.craigkaviar.com/

                        Dennis Cranston wrote:

                        > I use a little larger Lee pot that has a bottom spout. Its not worth
                        > it. If
                        > its not frozen when I try to open it, it gets a particle stuck in the
                        > valve
                        > when I try to close it. The draining of the pot on my desk because I cant
                        > shut the valve off is not the best way to enjoy casting.
                        >
                        > The ladle works just fine (I have used a gravy ladle for larger pours).
                        >
                        > Dennis in Houston

                      • cptn.lee
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 18, 2009
                          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Zac and Dianne" <zdromano@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All, Do I need to continue to go crazy looking for a castiron ladle, or will stainless steel do? I'll be ladling into an RTV mold. Thanks in advance! Zac

                          If you do a search think classic casting ie: black powder bullet,fishing sinker,lead/tin soldier. Here is just one example of a web site search I did for you.(http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,123.html) If you scroll to the bottom of their page click on home, you know the drill .
                        • Mike Bauers
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 18, 2009
                            Guys,

                            Google for 'Lee Production Pot' .......... you'll find a great many
                            links from fishing tackle shops. They have multiple casting molds and
                            ladles to go with the pots.

                            One very useful mold is designed to be filled by the melting pot when
                            you are ready to shut it down. It makes a few small ingots of the
                            molten lead/pewter/Britannia. You can store those away with the then
                            emptied melt-pot and re-melt as needed.

                            If you go to any large camping supply store. you'll find cast iron
                            pots and assorted cookware including cast iron ladles. You might find
                            the like in the lower tech, and priced, Dollar Stores as well. I've
                            found similar stuff in Artists Supply stores that deal with artistic
                            casting.

                            Best to ya,
                            Mike Bauers
                            Milwaukee, Wi