RE: [casting] New... Scary new.

  • Les Lamborn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
      Welcome Mark - I love your sense of humor, that will keep you in good
      stead in this group. Some of us have learned by doing and don't have a
      lot of technical training - my training is in electronics and
      broadcasting :)
      Les

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
        From: Les Lamborn
        > Welcome Mark - I love your sense of humor...

        Does that mean that it's time again to read "The Pink Horror"? :O)

        http://www.cfnson.com/pinkhrrr.html

        - Mike
      • Les Lamborn
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
          Yes, "The Pink Horror" should be must reading for everyone joining this
          group!!
          Les

          > Welcome Mark - I love your sense of humor...

          Does that mean that it's time again to read "The Pink Horror"? :O)

          http://www.cfnson.com/pinkhrrr.html

          - Mike

        • Evyn MacDude
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
            On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 05:53, Les Lamborn <llamborn@...> wrote:

            > Yes, "The Pink Horror" should be must reading for everyone joining this
            > group!!

            Yes, Yes it should be....

            BTW, since we are listing our bonfides; I have a BFA in Studio Art:
            Sculpting.

            Which really means that I have several very good tales of mold failure. But
            mostly with Investment style molds, My last big failure was with a 150 kilos
            of plaster where one of the vents blew out the side near the bottom, under
            the level of the sand in the casting pit. So I have a 35 kilo bronze mold of
            the bottom of the investment along with a 90% cast of the fountain we were
            casting.... Nearly broke my back trying to get the damn thing apart. Finally
            resorted to using a pickax to shatter the investment.

            --
            Evyn

          • babbit_boy
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
              --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Evyn MacDude <infojunky@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 05:53, Les Lamborn <llamborn@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Yes, "The Pink Horror" should be must reading for everyone joining this
              > > group!!
              >

              > Yes, Yes it should be....
              >
              > BTW, since we are listing our bonfides; I have a BFA in Studio Art:
              > Sculpting.
              >
              > Which really means that I have several very good tales of mold failure. But
              > mostly with Investment style molds, My last big failure was with a 150 kilos
              > of plaster where one of the vents blew out the side near the bottom, under
              > the level of the sand in the casting pit. So I have a 35 kilo bronze mold of
              > the bottom of the investment along with a 90% cast of the fountain we were
              > casting.... Nearly broke my back trying to get the damn thing apart. Finally
              > resorted to using a pickax to shatter the investment.
              >
              > --
              > Evyn

              Thanks one and all for the warm welcome and the experiences. As a side note, I was not intending to sound pompous by expounding my academic past. As I have been reading the board for a while, before I signed up, I do not have any experience when it comes to casting, molding and the like. I guess I was nervous and panicked, leading with my proposed IQ. Damn, did it again. I guess the statement is true; what does an engineer use for birth control - his personality. Sorry.
            • Ray K
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
                Hehe, no worries here and no offense taken!

                We all know that you can be a "Bricklayer" and "lay bricks" for 30 years,
                but it still won't make you a good bricklayer! ;-)

                Welcome aboard!

                Ray Kotke

                --
                Ray Kotke