Re: [casting] Pressure Pot Seal

  • Ray K
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
      Are you in the USA Steve?

      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:07 PM, steve dyke <dragnut2001@...> wrote:

      > Ray seen your response to making new seal by pouring were can someone
      > purchase this rtv to make new seals thanks steve.
      >
      > ________________________________

    • steve dyke
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
        Ray yes am in the USA steve.

        ________________________________
        > Ray seen your response to making new seal by pouring were can someone
        > purchase this rtv to make new seals thanks steve.
        >
        > ____________ _________ _________ __

      • Jack Mc Kie
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
          Ray,

          Thanks, have you done this? If so what RTV did you use? Would low
          shrink polyurethane rubber work? Do I need to position the tank so that
          the edge of the tank forms a groove in the rubber?

          Jack

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
            I have done it, yes.

            I don't know how you would position the tank so that the edge of the tank
            forms a groove, but if you had "something" that would form a shallow
            depression, it may help form the seal better.

            Some of the replacement neoprene seals for pots that I have, don't have an
            indentation/groove at all. I think that indentation/groove is actually
            formed by the pressure pot from repeated cycling the lid & pressure on and
            off over and over.

            I've never used the low-shrink urethane, but it sure would work.

            They use it for high-impact resistance bumpers & shock-absorbing, so it
            would certainly take the stress. You know, Alumilite just introduced a
            flexible urethane product that would probably work well for that! Call Carol
            and ask her what she thinks about that application.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
              Steve;

              you can get RTV Silicone for moldmaking in literally hundreds of places in
              the US depending on which products you want.

              You can deal directly with the manufacturers, or on a smaller scale, you can
              go with distributors like www.Alumilite.com <http://www.alumilite.com/> (Dow
              products) or http://www.silicones-inc.com

              Alumilite also carries the urethane rubbers that may lend themselves well to
              this application too. You can also try www.eagerpolymers.com in Chicago or
              www.smooth-on.com out east. All have their strongpoints (and weaknesses).
              Smooth-on has some good video/demos on their site too.

              Freemansupply.com is another site that has a LOT of nice "how-to" videos,
              but their prices are steep if you shop around. They are geared more toward
              the automotive industry, so maybe their prices will change now ;-o

              Good luck,

              PS: I will soon be changing my Company's name to: www.recumbantcasting.comLLC