newbie asks "which material to use?"

  • KJK
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2008
      Hello. I'm thinking of making a keychain, so the material has to stand up to some forces and scratching. I'd like 2 colors. One is a flat shape with holes, and this will be placed in another color (also flat) that will fill the holes and cover one complete side of the first piece. The end result will be color #2 on one side and the other side has color#1 with holes colored by the second color.

      Can anyone recommend which materials I would use from beginning to end?

      And secondly, when the first piece with the holes gets put in the second mold, should the full color side be on the top or bottom as I pour?

      Thanks in advance for any advice.

      KJ

    • Charles Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi Kj,

        Bronze and silver would stand up nicely, but I don't think this is for
        you. I think you are after plastics?

        Regards Charles from Oz

        KJK wrote:

        >Hello. I'm thinking of making a keychain, so the material has to stand up to some forces and scratching. I'd like 2 colors. One is a flat shape with holes, and this will be placed in another color (also flat) that will fill the holes and cover one complete side of the first piece. The end result will be color #2 on one side and the other side has color#1 with holes colored by the second color.
        >
        >Can anyone recommend which materials I would use from beginning to end?
        >
        >And secondly, when the first piece with the holes gets put in the second mold, should the full color side be on the top or bottom as I pour?
        >
        >Thanks in advance for any advice.
        >
        >KJ

      • KJK
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
          Yes, I'd like to use plastics or something - not metal - for my keychain. I'd like to add color to the substance. What holds up to the forces a keychain endures that can be made into 2 melded parts with two colors? Resin? Epoxy? Rubber? Silicone? Plastic?

          Thanks - KJ