Re: 1st try @ casting

  • gameresearch
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
      Also, hold your pouring cup close to the mold, holding it too high
      means the action of pouring it can help aerate (add air to) some
      materials.

      Chas
      --
      MacGregor Historic Games
      http://historicgames.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
        The bombs away method works well for RTV rubbers, has anyone tried this
        with resins?

        Regards Charles from Oz

        gameresearch wrote:

        >Also, hold your pouring cup close to the mold, holding it too high
        >means the action of pouring it can help aerate (add air to) some
        >materials.
        >
        >Chas
        >--
        >MacGregor Historic Games
        >http://historicgames.com

      • henry halikas
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2008
          Charles

                    Check out this site http://www.metalcastingzone.com/resin-casting/ for info

                    Can't remember the authors name, will post it if I come across it, but he talked about the fact that he made a sling in which, after he poured the resin into the mold, he twirled or swung the mold in a circular motion above his head, thus unsureing that the resin
          filled all the cavities and crevices of the mold.

          henry

          gameresearch wrote:

          >Also, hold your pouring cup close to the mold, holding it too high
          >means the action of pouring it can help aerate (add air to) some
          >materials.
          >
          >Chas
          >--
          >MacGregor Historic Games
          >http://historicgame s.com

        • henry halikas
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3, 2008
            Charles

            Also check out the following you tube site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emgEbtifHfg

            Henry

            gameresearch wrote:

            >Also, hold your pouring cup close to the mold, holding it too high
            >means the action of pouring it can help aerate (add air to) some
            >materials.
            >
            >Chas
            >--
            >MacGregor Historic Games
            >http://historicgame s.com

          • DOC
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2008
              Which reminds me...

              The rotocaster prototype that I built has been sitting undisturbed
              next to my tool and cutter grinder for a while now.

              I "finished" it before I went to the California Maker Faire.

              Rotates nicely. Very cool. Even looks like a work of art!

              But...

              I think it's underpowered. I put a 12 V gearhead motor on it
              but even with no load it works harder during one part of the
              cycle.

              Needs new bearings. Not because the ones I put in wore out but
              because they are the cheap (read not concentric) type and in my view
              will likely loosen in the wood.

              Needs a way to secure the payload. Should be an easy fix by putting
              1/4" screw rod into the inner frame and tightening with wing-nuts.

              Short of it is that it still needs some fixing. And considering
              the time and materials that went into it, I don't think
              I am able to make these for anything like the $200.00 I had hoped.

              What now?

              If there is still any interest I can:

              Sell what I have.
              Make and sell bits and pieces that I needed to make for this design.

              Or.

              Leave the thing where it is for the next time I have some small
              rotocasting needs. :-)

              Suggestions? Ideas?

              DOC

              On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 06:47:32 -0400, henry halikas
              <factdatalearn@...> wrote:

              > it, but he talked about the fact that he made a sling in which, after he
              > poured the resin into the mold, he twirled or swung the mold in a
              > circular motion above his head, thus unsureing that the resin
              > filled all the cavities and crevices of the mold.
            • Les Lamborn
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 3, 2008
                Hi Doc
                I for one would like to know what parts and pieces I need to make one
                and the sources you found to do so. How much for the parts that you made
                which are not readily available - how much for the information on
                sources for the other parts?
                Les

                <factdatalearn@...> wrote:

                > it, but he talked about the fact that he made a sling in which, after
                he
                > poured the resin into the mold, he twirled or swung the mold in a
                > circular motion above his head, thus unsureing that the resin
                > filled all the cavities and crevices of the mold.

              • rob milani
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Thanks for the help and info everyone..........................................Rob

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 3, 2008
                    I've got a sling caster that I use on occasion for molten bronze, scares
                    the willies out of me :-)

                    Regards Charles
                    P.S. <http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/sling.jpg>

                    henry halikas wrote:

                    >Charles
                    >
                    > Check out this site http://www.metalcastingzone.com/resin-casting/ for info
                    >
                    > Can't remember the authors name, will post it if I come across it, but he talked about the fact that he made a sling in which, after he poured the resin into the mold, he twirled or swung the mold in a circular motion above his head, thus unsureing that the resin
                    >filled all the cavities and crevices of the mold.
                    >
                    >henry

                  • henry halikas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
                      Doc:

                             Offer instructions for sale with updates and necessary parts needed plus estimated cost factor for each and where to purchase items, to build ones own unit.

                             henry

                      <factdatalearn@...> wrote:

                      > it, but he talked about the fact that he made a sling in which, after he
                      > poured the resin into the mold, he twirled or swung the mold in a
                      > circular motion above his head, thus unsureing that the resin
                      > filled all the cavities and crevices of the mold.

                    • Clint D
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
                        anyone know some good formulas for making sand molds and cores other
                        than sodium silicate?
                        I have been told there is a resin with a hardener type that can be used,
                        just cant find any info on it.
                        I also heard that molasses and linseed oil can be used and needs to be
                        baked.

                        The air set types are the ones I am interested in the formulas for the
                        projects I have coming up
                        Thanks
                        Clint