Quick Question About Vulcanizing Delrin

  • John Bear Ross
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5 5:17 AM
      Hello, all.

      Is Delrin (Acetal) able to survive vulcanization? Thanks in advance.

      Best,
      John Bear Ross
      www.johnbearross.com
    • Richard Mark

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5 7:10 AM
          Is it possible to use a glue on delrin? If so, what.

          Trials so far a failure!

          Bernard Haste
        • Richard Mark
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5 9:08 AM
            NO,
            mechainical fasteners only. IE: botl or screw from behind, or a groove & clamp. Delirin is a popular bushing surface, used in electronc such as VCRs, DVD players and so fourth. Where a steel plate with have molded features for shaft support.

            Regards,
            Richard Mark

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5 9:20 AM
              I thought that Loktite had a product that could glue delrin.

              Khris

              Richard Mark wrote:

              > NO,
              > mechainical fasteners only. IE: botl or screw from behind, or a groove
              > & clamp. Delirin is a popular bushing surface, used in electronc such
              > as VCRs, DVD players and so fourth. Where a steel plate with have
              > molded features for shaft support.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Richard Mark
              >
              > tudoryork <tudoryork@... <mailto:tudoryork%40yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
              > Is it possible to use a glue on delrin? If so, what.
              >
              > Trials so far a failure!
              >
              > Bernard Haste
              >
              > .

            • John Hagen
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5 9:55 AM
                --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Khris <kandc.au@...> wrote:

                > I thought that Loktite had a product that could glue delrin.
                >
                > Khris

                I typed in Delrin on the Loctite site seach and received no results.

                The stuff is a effect a solid lubricant. Its almost like trying to glue
                grease.

                John Hagen
                Milwaukee, WI
              • Alan C Welch
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5 10:26 AM
                  Loctite has a surface activator that is supposed to make it possible to glue materials like Delrin using CA. I have tried it and it works to a degree; that is to say I have used it in an application that did not put a huge amount of stress on the joint. I don't know just how strong the joints are compared to the strength that would be achieved using more common plastics.

                  There is also a CA like glue called Cyanopoxy, I believe. The individual who is the main source of this material says it's great. I have no first-hand knowledge, however.

                  Al

                  > I thought that Loktite had a product that could glue delrin.
                  >
                  > Khris

                  I typed in Delrin on the Loctite site seach and received no results.

                  The stuff is a effect a solid lubricant. Its almost like trying to glue
                  grease.

                  John Hagen
                  Milwaukee, WI

                • oneacmename
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5 11:36 AM
                    I have never tried this stuff but they say it can weld Delrin
                    requires heat and I'm actually curious if it works so if you try it
                    reply with your results :)

                    http://www.solder-it.com/solderpaste.asp#Plastic%20Weld

                    Daniel

                    --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "John Hagen" <sprinthag@...> wrote:

                    > I typed in Delrin on the Loctite site seach and received no results.
                    >
                    > The stuff is a effect a solid lubricant. Its almost like trying to
                    glue
                    > grease.
                    >
                    > John Hagen
                    > Milwaukee, WI

                  • Mike Bauers
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5 2:40 PM
                      You folks know about Cypox ???

                      http://www.gowest2.com/c-pox/faq.html

                      "Does C-pox™ work on "slippery" plastic?
                      Yes. This system has been developed for use on all types of
                      plastics. It is the only viable solution (besides a plastic welder)
                      for use on materials such as UHMW, Delrin®, Polypropylene,
                      Polyethylene, Nylon, Teflon®, ABS. You will find these high density
                      plastics in the form of children’s toys, car dashboards and bumpers,
                      appliances, tools, electronics, etc. Success with bonding these
                      plastics is achieved with using our Plastic Primer 302 to prepare the
                      surface before applying the Bonder and Activator."

                      http://www.mrhobby.com/Cyantips.html

                      " III. The Main Attraction--Integrating "Slippery" PlasticsI've
                      gotten most folks' attention when I tell them I have something that
                      will work on Delrin and most other slippery or "engineering"
                      plastics. For my first test, I took a piece of Delrin sprue from a
                      set of Atlas handrail stanchions. Using the brush-on CoolChem Poly
                      Treatment 311 , I prepared the Delrin, and while I let it work for a
                      minute, I applied the Cool Chem Integrator 75 (Cyanopoxy) to a piece
                      of brass sprue from a Precision Scale speed recorder. I then pressed
                      the Delrin into the brass, and then gently misted it with the spray
                      CoolChem Activator 310 to create the reaction. The part was well
                      bonded in seconds. Most importantly, when I tried the next day, I
                      couldn't even dislodge the sprue with pliers! It's as if the two
                      materials are now one, hence the term "integration".
                      Emboldened, I tried an experiment where I cut another piece of sprue,
                      and tried bonding it end to end. I prepped each end, applied a dot
                      of Cool Chem Integrator 75 (Cyanopoxy) to one end, misted the other
                      end, and pressed them together. This time I did not get a bond, and
                      was a bit puzzled, so I went back to the instructions, looking for a
                      flaw in technique.

                      Trying again, with another piece, I again prepped both ends with the
                      brush-on CoolChem Poly Treatment 311 material. After waiting for
                      about a minute, I then applied a dot of Cool Chem Integrator 75
                      (Cyanopoxy) to one end, pressed the ends together, noticed a little
                      fillet of the integrator ooze out, then hit it with the spray
                      CoolChem Activator 310. I held the ends tightly together for several
                      seconds, then left it alone. The bond seemed to hold.

                      Checking it the next morning, I found that the bond had amazing
                      tensile strength. There was literally no way to pull the joint
                      apart. However, with some doing, by using leverage and using the
                      bond itself as a fulcrum, I did manage to eventually snap the joint.
                      Would I call this a failure? Not at all. In practice, when dealing
                      with slippery plastics, nothing will touch them! I tried
                      conventional plastic cement on the sprue, and it basically beaded up
                      and rolled off. With Cool Chem Integrator 75 (Cyanopoxy) , you will
                      be able to mend plastic handrails, and they will actually hold unless
                      subjected to duress, for example, or make modifications to Delrin
                      truck sideframes. The uses are endless, limited by your imagination
                      only. "

                      Best to ya'
                      Mike Bauers
                      Milwaukee Wi, USA