RE: [casting] Re: Making my own vac chamber

  • David Bentley
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
      I would be interested in your Pressure Cooker vacuum system (and pictures).
      Like the design on the Ted Pella but don't need something like that as I
      will not be doing to much mold making

      Bentley@...

      Thanks

      David

      Iowa

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
        Mike:

        Although I haven't put it together yet, I purchased a 12" diameter schedule 40 pvc conector pipe. About a foot in height.

        Obtained (2) 3/4s inch thick lexan from a local Plastics maker and distributor,.

        I know it will work do to the fact that I originally obtained the instructions of its construction from a prior member of another group.

        Also purchased and made my own "0" rings from a smooth rubber mat material that Lowes and Home Depot sell by the foot for the bottom shower stalls

        Unfortunatley the original instruction and source are their temporarily locked in my down computer so I can't track or currently obtain the source where I first found them on line.

        Alumilite sells a similar contraption for about $75.00 also a schedule 40 pvc material,.

        Just remember too much pressure and you'll be in trouble this is a headache you do not want. Heed the warnings.

        Henry

        Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...> wrote:
        I think the old cast ones are long out of production, and the ones
        most preferred for the job.

        Those that have been converted with additional safety valves have
        worked well for folks.

        Best to ya,
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee, Wi

        On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Stephen Auslender wrote:

        > What happened to the old idea of using a kitchen pressure cooker as
        > a vacuum chamber?
        > They were made for pressure.
        > Stephen
        > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <fl_rider2001@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Gabe,
        >>
        >> I would be very, very careful in making your own vacuum chamber
        > having
        >> experienced an implosion of a purchased one. luckily I got my
        > hearing
        >> back in about 5 min and the ribs that were broke did heal. For low
        >> vacuums I do use a similar unit, but for the higher vacuum needs I
        > am
        >> using a pressure pot that was converted to a vacuum chamber.
        >>
        >> Good luck if you build your own, I would be sure not to have it
        > near
        >> you when you first test it.
        >>
        >> Rich
        >>
        >> --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Gabe" <wizatlarge@> wrote:
        >>>
        >>> I found a design, here on the group, that seems easy enough for
        > even
        >>> me. I will need some Schedule 80 pvc pipe, about 12 inch
        > diameter.
        >>> Does anyone have suggestions on where I could get some of that
        > pipe?
        >>> I would like it to be about a foot or so tall.
        >>>
        >>> Also I'm going to need some thick plexi or even better, some
        > lexan. I
        >>> think the lexan is pretty expensive, although I haven't checked
        > yet.
        >>> Any ideas on where to get that?
        >>>
        >>> Finally, I'm also going to need a vacuum gauge. Who knows where
        >>> get that?
        >>>
        >>> Thanks for your help.
        >>>
        >>> Gabe

      • henry halikas
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
          I went into the past records and came up with his name, the following is his site, don't know if the instructions are still posted thier, if not you'll have to contact him directly.

          http://Journal.HousatonicRR.com

          The following is the post that I managed to recognise his name and obtain his info.

          Re: Since we're talking about vacuum chambers
          Message #27838
          Posted Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:58 am
          by darkterritory@...

          his Instructions are worth the effort of obtaining.

          Craig Bisgeier
          Clifton, NJ

          Henry

        • henry halikas
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
            Just checked out his site congraqtulations your in luck its posted on his mail page
            http://www.housatonicrr.com/VacChamber.htm

            Hope this helps

          • Charles Grage
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 5, 2008
              Gabe,

              Try the Surplus Center. They have fair prices on pressure, vacuum,
              dual gauges and fittings.

              http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrec=20&sort=2&search=vacuum%
              20gauge&UID=2008020515105949

              Charles.

              --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Gabe" <wizatlarge@...> wrote:

              Snip

              > Finally, I'm also going to need a vacuum gauge. Who knows where to
              > get that?
              >
              > Thanks for your help.
              >
              > Gabe
            • Gabe
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 6, 2008
                Charles,

                Thanks for that link. Very much appreciated.

                Cheers,

                Gabe

                --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Grage" <etched_n_stone@...>