New Cart in Progress

  • Mike Jackson
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 7, 2007
      I'm building a new cart for gaming conventions and thought that I'd share
      it's progress with you folk. You can access it's webpage at:
      http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html or from our home page.

      If all goes well, I will be selling resins and casting materials, glues,
      modeling putties, as well as some ships and other "trinkets" in 15mm, some
      items in 1:60 scale (25-28mm) and possibly some in 1:30 scale (54mm) at the
      Augusta Siege 2008 (www.siegeofaugusta.com) in January.

      See ya there!

      - Mike
      Casting Fool & Son
      http://www.cfnson.com
    • Greg Krynen
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 7, 2007
        Freakin awesome cart!

        --- Mike Jackson <mike@...> wrote:

        > I'm building a new cart for gaming conventions and
        > thought that I'd share
        > it's progress with you folk. You can access it's
        > webpage at:
        > http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html or from our
        > home page.
        >
        > If all goes well, I will be selling resins and
        > casting materials, glues,
        > modeling putties, as well as some ships and other
        > "trinkets" in 15mm, some
        > items in 1:60 scale (25-28mm) and possibly some in
        > 1:30 scale (54mm) at the
        > Augusta Siege 2008 (www.siegeofaugusta.com) in
        > January.
        >
        > See ya there!
        >
        > - Mike
        > Casting Fool & Son
        > http://www.cfnson.com

        Greg Krynen
        www.Krynen.com
        www.PurpleDragonGifts.com
        www.PurpleDragonTraders.com
      • Mike Jackson
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 7, 2007
          From: Greg Krynen
          > Freakin awesome cart!

          Thanks. The only mistake I made was making it 4" too tall to fit into the
          back of my van upright. I'm currently debating whether I should cut the
          sides down a bit, or just turn it on it's side to get it into the van for
          transport.

          - Mike
        • Mike Jackson
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 7, 2007
            From: Mike Jackson [mailto:mike@...]
            > I'm building a new cart for gaming conventions and thought that I'd share
            it's progress with you folk. You can access it's webpage at:
            http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html or from our home page.

            I just added pictures of the shelving unit that goes along with the cart.

            - Mike
            Casting Fool & Son
            http://www.cfnson.com
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 7, 2007
              with it loaded in weight are the axels wide enough to be stable?
              the carts i have used before that have those (at least looks like them) axel
              and wheel sets are usually not really stable with plenty of weight at much
              height.

              i like your cart alot tho, and hope its plenty stable to not fall. i like
              the utilities tray for cups brushes and so on.

              Steve

              > I'm building a new cart for gaming conventions and thought that I'd share
              > it's progress with you folk. You can access it's webpage at:
              > http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html or from our home page.
              >
              > If all goes well, I will be selling resins and casting materials, glues,
              > modeling putties, as well as some ships and other "trinkets" in 15mm, some
              > items in 1:60 scale (25-28mm) and possibly some in 1:30 scale (54mm) at
              > the
              > Augusta Siege 2008 (www.siegeofaugusta.com) in January.
              >
              > See ya there!
              >
              > - Mike
              > Casting Fool & Son
              > http://www.cfnson.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bill Hamilton
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 7, 2007
                On 10/7/07, Steve <orcdom@...> wrote:
                > with it loaded in weight are the axels wide enough to be stable?
                > the carts i have used before that have those (at least looks like them) axel
                > and wheel sets are usually not really stable with plenty of weight at much
                > height.
                >
                > i like your cart alot tho, and hope its plenty stable to not fall. i like
                > the utilities tray for cups brushes and so on.

                I was thinking the same thing. Great construction work, but the
                wheels look a little too close together. I'd be worried if I had a
                bunch of equipment and product on it.

                Conveniently, I know how I would deal with it, too. :) I'd put some
                extendable legs at each corner that could be lowered to support the
                cart. It would also help keep the cart from shifting around when in
                place.

                -Bill Hamilton
              • Mike Jackson
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 7, 2007
                  From: Steve
                  > with it loaded in weight are the axels wide enough to be stable?

                  It's in the plans for either stabilizing jacks or even just really short saw
                  horses for when it's in place at a show. The wheels are just to get it into
                  and out of the buildings.

                  Even so, it's still pretty stable even though the wheel base is so narrow.

                  - Mike
                  Casting Fool & Son
                  http://www.cfnson.com
                • Mike Jackson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 20, 2007
                    From: Bill Hamilton
                    On 10/7/07, Steve <orcdom@... <mailto:orcdom%40hotmail.com> > wrote:
                    > > with it loaded in weight are the axels wide enough to be stable?
                    > I was thinking the same thing. Great construction work, but the wheels
                    look a little too close together. I'd be worried if I had a bunch of
                    equipment and product on it.
                    > Conveniently, I know how I would deal with it, too. :) I'd put some
                    extendable legs at each corner that could be lowered to support the cart. It
                    would also help keep the cart from shifting around when in place.

                    Thanks for the compliments. :O)

                    Yes, the wheels are definitely too close together for a 30" width, but I was
                    limited by the axle arrangement on the original cart chassis. And 99% of
                    the weight is actually centered on the axles. The cart is fairly stable on
                    it's wheels, but not stable enough for doing anything on it that might
                    wiggle the cart. Lean on it, and it would lean in the direction of the
                    weight you're putting on it.

                    The cart will be mostly empty during transport, only carrying it's own
                    weight and not product.

                    I've already cut out the legs that will be used to support the cart at
                    shows. I wanted to add extendable legs, but some surfing showed that to be
                    cost prohibitive, and anything bought would add a weight penalty.

                    Since the cart's weight is mostly concentrated in the 24" over the wheels
                    (the top's overhang in the back is only 6"), I designed two one-piece leg
                    arrangements that will swing up and down. Up for rolling, down for
                    stationary. I've got them cut out, but haven't installed them yet. I was
                    hoping to get to it today after we get back from a local air show. The legs
                    will lift the cart just off of the wheels when they're lowered and locked in
                    place.

                    They swing on 1/2" bolts set in a brass bushing, and are held in place by a
                    1/2" pin also in a bushing. Since I've run out of the 3/4" birch plywood, I
                    used the original cart top, also 3/4" birch plywood, as stock for cutting
                    out the legs. So I have a few old mounting holes to fill in with putty.

                    I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't figure for mounting legs at the
                    beginning since I wanted to keep the cart to a 6' length. The legs will add
                    about an inch and a half to the total length of the cart.

                    What I really wanted were hydraulic jacks, but it just isn't going to
                    happen.

                    I'm still looking for a used cash drawer for it. They're a little
                    high-priced on eBay or through a retailer, so I'm going to look at a local
                    flea market for one next.

                    I'm also having trouble finding a local carpentry shop that will install
                    Formica on the top for me. I really want it professionally done. Still
                    looking...

                    - Mike
                    Casting Fool & Son
                    http://www.cfnson.com
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 20, 2007
                      if you have a router formica is easy to install

                      cut a piece larger than the top
                      apply your glue per the directions, some require you to let it dry first
                      some dont.

                      whan you apply your formica sheet liet it bow down in the middle or at one
                      end and apply a little at a time.
                      that way you trap less air and get less pockets.

                      roll it out and i would put weight on top of it for the little extra oompff
                      and let set overnight

                      take a flush edge router bit it has a roller and go around the sides and
                      trims the formica to the top.

                      the speed and sharpness of a router will not let the formica split.

                      try a custom cabinet shop if you still dont want to try it.

                      might even try the local wood shop at your nearest high school or vo tech
                      center and see the instructor there, he may do it as a sho n tell piece for
                      his students, alot of those teachers are older carpenters.

                    • Mike Jackson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 20, 2007
                        From: Mike Jackson
                        > I'm building a new cart for gaming conventions...

                        I changed the shelf unit pics for one showing the shelf assembled for
                        testing.

                        (For the 40K and gamersofaugusta list) I also should have explained that the
                        cart is for demo'ing polyurethane resin casting using Alumilite casting
                        products. I also plan on selling my own line of miniatures in 15mm, 1:30
                        (54mm) & 1:60 (25-28mm) scales at various gaming cons around the Southeast.

                        The page is available via http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html or from our
                        home page.

                        - Mike
                        Casting Fool & Son
                        http://www.cfnson.com
                      • Mike Jackson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 27, 2007
                          From: Mike Jackson
                          > http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html

                          New pics of the cart. I added a cash drawer slide out. Mostly because I
                          forgot to include a cash drawer in the original design, and then discovered
                          that even a compact drawer would not fit in the cart. I found a lockable
                          cash box that folds open into a usable unit, and as soon as it arrives I'll
                          fit it to the slide.

                          - Mike
                          Casting Fool & Son
                          http://www.cfnson.com
                        • Mike Jackson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 28, 2007
                            From: Mike Jackson
                            > http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html

                            I added leg assemblies at either end of the cart for stability when it's in
                            place at a convention.

                            - Mike
                            Casting Fool & Son
                            http://www.cfnson.com
                          • Mike Jackson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 29, 2007
                              From: Mike Jackson
                              > http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html

                              I had to move the cart over to the other side of the living room tonight
                              because the outside temp is going down into the upper 30's. I want to use
                              the woodstove without setting fire to my new cart! So I had to finish more
                              of the leg assemblies in order to move the cart.

                              I changed the pic for the leg assembly, as I added a bolt to increase the
                              side-to-side stability of the cart. I also added a pic to show one of the
                              leg assemblies in the stowed position.

                              - Mike
                              Casting Fool & Son
                              http://www.cfnson.com
                            • Mike Jackson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 3, 2008
                                I've added new photos of my progress on the cart. I was able to take some
                                pictures at the Siege of Augusta 2008:

                                http://www.cfnson.com/cartnshelf.html

                                - Mike

                              • Mike Manderachia
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  Mike,

                                  The cart looks great, nice work.

                                  Mike

                                • Mike Jackson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 6, 2008
                                    From: Mike Manderachia
                                    > The cart looks great, nice work.

                                    Thanks, Mike.

                                    I just saw Formica at Lowes for only $45.00, so I'll be getting the
                                    materials and trying my hand at counter-topping sometime soon.

                                    - Mike