Bonding two part alginate molds...

  • Case
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
      I am not trying to cut corners, but make things easier for the models
      I use. Some of them tend to get a little antsy towards the removal
      phase of the molding process. I need to find a way to remove the
      alginate molds better. I have seen head castings where the alginate is
      cut down the center on the backside of the mold. Once it is seperated,
      how does one re-bond or rejoin the alginate?

      For instance, if I am wanting to do a complete abdomen section using
      the alginate, say Moldgel or Fibergel, I apply it either by hand or
      using a model box, and the model's body above and below the ab section
      is larger, I risk ripping the alginate. I am assuming I would cut the
      back section down the center?? But when pouring in CastRite material,
      would it not leak out if the alginate is not rejoined?
    • Tom Banwell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
        Burman http://www.burmanfoam.com/ carries alginate bonder, a pink liquid, very inexpensive. You don't really need it for your situation, however. Just light press the cut together and it will hold in your casting material.

        Tom
        Tom Banwell Designs Inc
        www.lumicast.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
          Someone recommended algislo or something like that, but I wasn't sure
          if that would bond. I wanted something that specifically works. Thanks
          for the link! I will check it out!!

          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Banwell" <TomBanwell@...> wrote:

          > Burman http://www.burmanfoam.com/ carries alginate bonder, a pink
          liquid, very inexpensive. You don't really need it for your situation,
          however. Just light press the cut together and it will hold in your
          casting material.

          > Tom
          > Tom Banwell Designs Inc
          > www.lumicast.com

        • David Perteet
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2007
            Hey.

            Alginate bonder is for bonding freshly mixed alginate onto already-cured
            alginate (like if you wanted to thicken your alginate with a second batch
            after the first had kicked off). It is basically sodium carbonate and
            water.

            Typically we use superglue (cynoacrylate) to reseal a cut in alginate
            (followed by ‘zip kicker’, a superglue accelerator because, yes, we’re THAT
            impatient.) Superglue is also pretty good at tacking the alginate to a
            plaster bandage jacket/shell so it seats well.

            DP

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 19, 2007
              Correction to my original post: Alginate bonder is water mixed with sodium
              bicarbonate.

              DP