Re: [casting] Vacuum pump question

  • henry halikas
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 30, 2007
      Andrew
      like yourself I have been examining Robinair pumps. And like yourself am perplexed by what i've found. The one thing that I've discovered so far is that you purchase a pump that does not need/require oil.

      Moisture can and will accumulate in the oil tank and require you to be diligent enough too change it frequently and unless you prevent it from doing so, it will damage the suction capability from within.

      Even at $400.00, Its too expensive a lesson to learn the hard way, just for one or two uses.

      Henry

      "Andrew D. Brewer" <sd702502@...> wrote:
      Hello

      I am planning on buying my first vacuum pump.

      I have been looking at the Robinair brand. I want quality and the size
      needs to be compact and still do a good job. What model of Robinair is
      good for drawing the 29" vacuum required? Where can I buy one easily?

      I will not be using a vacuum very often and the amount to vacuumed is
      not large, so ease of set up and storage
      size a must.

      Thanks in advance
      Andrew
      Indianapolis, IN

    • dondoyle
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2007
        Andrew,

        Great question - one that I was also going to ask as I have a similar
        need.

        I would also like to add - what is the preferred way of removing
        bubbles - vacuum chamber or pressure pot? It appears that a pressure
        pot may be the less expensive way to go. But, I don't know which is the
        best way to go.

        I anxiously await some answers from the Pro's on the forum.

        Florida Don

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew D. Brewer" <sd702502@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > I am planning on buying my first vacuum pump.
        >
        > I have been looking at the Robinair brand. I want quality and the size
        > needs to be compact and still do a good job. What model of Robinair is
        > good for drawing the 29" vacuum required? Where can I buy one easily?
        >
        > I will not be using a vacuum very often and the amount to vacuumed is
        > not large, so ease of set up and storage
        > size a must.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Andrew
        > Indianapolis, IN

      • henry halikas
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
          Ray K.

          Thanks for the info I'll check them out.

          as far as a pressure pot, look at www.grainger.com www.mcmaster.com

          "Ray K." <katke@...> wrote:
          You definitely want to go with the pressure pot. Get a REAL pressure
          pot, NOT something that wasn't designed to safely be pressurized to at
          least 85PSI. Best results if you pressurize to at least 60PSI. You can
          sometimes get satisfactory results with less pressure, but it's not
          consistent.

          Be certain to buy one that has the ASME Certification tag affixed to it.
          If it's not ASME certified, you are taking your "life and limb" into
          your own hands.

          You will be astounded at how nice your castings will turn out when they
          have been cured under pressure. Of course, you must be certain to either
          vacuum your RTV before pouring your molds, OR, cure your RTV molds under
          pressure (or both works too).

          Ray K.
          www.telephonecreations.com

          dondoyle wrote:

          > Andrew,
          >
          > Great question - one that I was also going to ask as I have a similar
          > need.
          >
          > I would also like to add - what is the preferred way of removing
          > bubbles - vacuum chamber or pressure pot? It appears that a pressure
          > pot may be the less expensive way to go. But, I don't know which is the
          > best way to go.
          >
          > I anxiously await some answers from the Pro's on the forum.
          >
          > Florida Don
          >
          > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Andrew D. Brewer" <sd702502@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello
          > >
          > > I am planning on buying my first vacuum pump.
          > >
          > > I have been looking at the Robinair brand. I want quality and the size
          > > needs to be compact and still do a good job. What model of Robinair is
          > > good for drawing the 29" vacuum required? Where can I buy one easily?
          > >
          > > I will not be using a vacuum very often and the amount to vacuumed is
          > > not large, so ease of set up and storage
          > > size a must.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance
          > > Andrew
          > > Indianapolis, IN

        • Ray K.
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007
            The Robinair 15600 or 15400 are perfect for vacuuming RTV & resins.
            Great pumps, and will indeed pull 29" of mercury.

            henry halikas wrote:

            > Andrew
            > like yourself I have been examining Robinair pumps. And like yourself am
            > perplexed by what i've found. The one thing that I've discovered so far
            > is that you purchase a pump that does not need/require oil.
            >
            > Moisture can and will accumulate in the oil tank and require you to be
            > diligent enough too change it frequently and unless you prevent it from
            > doing so, it will damage the suction capability from within.
            >
            > Even at $400.00, Its too expensive a lesson to learn the hard way, just
            > for one or two uses.
            >
            > Henry
            >
            > "Andrew D. Brewer" <sd702502@... <mailto:sd702502%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            > Hello
            >
            > I am planning on buying my first vacuum pump.
            >
            > I have been looking at the Robinair brand. I want quality and the size
            > needs to be compact and still do a good job. What model of Robinair is
            > good for drawing the 29" vacuum required? Where can I buy one easily?
            >
            > I will not be using a vacuum very often and the amount to vacuumed is
            > not large, so ease of set up and storage
            > size a must.
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            > Andrew
            > Indianapolis, IN

          • Ray K.
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2007

              dondoyle wrote:

              > Andrew,
              >
              > Great question - one that I was also going to ask as I have a similar
              > need.
              >
              > I would also like to add - what is the preferred way of removing
              > bubbles - vacuum chamber or pressure pot? It appears that a pressure
              > pot may be the less expensive way to go. But, I don't know which is the
              > best way to go.
              >
              > I anxiously await some answers from the Pro's on the forum.
              >
              > Florida Don
              >
              > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Andrew D. Brewer" <sd702502@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello
              > >
              > > I am planning on buying my first vacuum pump.
              > >
              > > I have been looking at the Robinair brand. I want quality and the size
              > > needs to be compact and still do a good job. What model of Robinair is
              > > good for drawing the 29" vacuum required? Where can I buy one easily?
              > >
              > > I will not be using a vacuum very often and the amount to vacuumed is
              > > not large, so ease of set up and storage
              > > size a must.
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance
              > > Andrew
              > > Indianapolis, IN

            • DOC
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                At 08:26 AM 4/1/2007 -0700, you wrote:

                >Moisture can and will accumulate in the oil tank and require you to be
                >diligent enough too change it frequently and unless you prevent it from
                >doing so, it will damage the suction capability from within.

                Could you elaborate a bit on this please?

                I don't understand why this would happen.

                Tanks,
                DOC

                Buy my junk! http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html
              • Jim King
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Andrew:

                  My friends at Alumilite recommended Robinair as well and that's what I
                  recently bought when my old pump died. Here's the web site (Tooltopia)
                  where you can buy one (http://www.tooltopia.com). Great price and delivery.
                  They only have 1 Robinair model number so you can't go wrong. This is a
                  FAST flow pump (2 cfm) which empties a 12" diameter x 6" deep vacuum chamber
                  in short time, short enough you can evacuate Alumilite's fast set resin and
                  still have time to put a backing plate on the mold before the resin starts
                  setting up.

                  Jim King

                  Smoky Mountain Model Works, Inc.

                  www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

                • Tom Banwell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Robinair's are designed for removing freon from refrigerators, and the mfgrs recommend you change the oil after each use. If you are using it to deair silicone rubber there is no need to change the oil so often. I use mine almost daily, and I only change the oil about once a year. And it still sucks (in a good way!). They are great pumps for this purpose.

                    Tom
                    Tom Banwell Designs Inc
                    www.lumicast.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Ray,

                      Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I could use it for molds as well. Thanks for answering that.

                      I have been looking online and asking people. I have been told that Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93119 has one that will work fine. They have them on sale for a very low (IMO) price of something like $39.99. It almost seems too cheap. But when I compare the pictures they look almost exactly like the Alumilite one for $239. www.hobbyengineering.com/H4139.html

                      I just got home from being away for a couple weeks and can't wait to get started.

                      I really don't want to spend too much money during my experimentation, but also believe in buying good stuff. However, if one for under $40 works the same, I would rather spend the difference on material etc.

                      Thanks for your and anyone's opinions on this.

                      Florida Don

                      dondoyle wrote:

                      > Andrew,
                      >
                      > Great question - one that I was also going to ask as I have a similar
                      > need.
                      >
                      > I would also like to add - what is the preferred way of removing
                      > bubbles - vacuum chamber or pressure pot? It appears that a pressure
                      > pot may be the less expensive way to go. But, I don't know which is the
                      > best way to go.
                      >
                      > I anxiously await some answers from the Pro's on the forum.
                      >
                      > Florida Don
                      >
                      > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "Andrew D. Brewer" <sd702502@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello
                      > >
                      > > I am planning on buying my first vacuum pump.
                      > >
                      > > I have been looking at the Robinair brand. I want quality and the size
                      > > needs to be compact and still do a good job. What model of Robinair is
                      > > good for drawing the 29" vacuum required? Where can I buy one easily?
                      > >
                      > > I will not be using a vacuum very often and the amount to vacuumed is
                      > > not large, so ease of set up and storage
                      > > size a must.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks in advance
                      > > Andrew
                      > > Indianapolis, IN

                    • henry halikas
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                        Doc
                        I have been surfing the net for some time trying to get a handle on a decent, reasonal Robinair Vacuum Pump recently came from another site dealing with the topic of clayart that dealt specifically about moisture forming in the oil tank and subsequently weakening the strength of the pump thru deterioration.

                        Being inexperienced and not having dealt with Vacuuming RTV material or vacuuming for that matter, I immediatly came to the conclusion that something similar would and could possibly also occur.

                        ADUH!

                        DOC <doc@...> wrote:
                        At 08:26 AM 4/1/2007 -0700, you wrote:

                        >Moisture can and will accumulate in the oil tank and require you to be
                        >diligent enough too change it frequently and unless you prevent it from
                        >doing so, it will damage the suction capability from within.

                        Could you elaborate a bit on this please?

                        I don't understand why this would happen.

                        Tanks,
                        DOC

                        Buy my junk! http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html

                      • Ted Quick
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 7, 2007
                          Small comment, they have at least 6 Robinair vacuum pumps available there.
                          3 are on Page 1, at:
                          http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=150&Page=1

                          3 more are on Page 6 at:

                          http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=150&Page=6

                          The ones on Page 6 are cheaper.

                          Ted Quick
                          --- Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

                          > Andrew:
                          >

                          > My friends at Alumilite recommended Robinair as well and that's what I
                          > recently bought when my old pump died. Here's the web site (Tooltopia)
                          > where you can buy one (http://www.tooltopia.com). Great price and delivery.
                          > They only have 1 Robinair model number so you can't go wrong. This is a
                          > FAST flow pump (2 cfm) which empties a 12" diameter x 6" deep vacuum chamber
                          > in short time, short enough you can evacuate Alumilite's fast set resin and
                          > still have time to put a backing plate on the mold before the resin starts
                          > setting up.
                          >

                          > Jim King
                          >
                          > Smoky Mountain Model Works, Inc.
                          >
                          > www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

                        • Nigel Ford
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 7, 2007
                            Hi,
                            I've been following this thread ref. Pressure pots and I would like to have
                            a go with one.
                            My molds are all done by vibrating them (on top of the washing machine) but
                            I still get the occasional bubble in the wrong place and hence more cleaning
                            up of cast figures or worse still a ruined mold.
                            I live in the UK. Does anyone know where I can purchase one?
                            Thanks in advance.
                            Nigel

                            http://www.rabble-7mmfigures.co.uk/

                          • Kryzwel
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8, 2007
                              Out of curiosity what size pump are you guys recommending? They come in different stages and HP and I was wondering what the thoughts were on a preference.

                              -Joel

                              Ted Quick <rim_molder@...> wrote: Small comment, they have at least 6 Robinair vacuum pumps available there.

                              --- Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

                              > Andrew:
                              >

                              > My friends at Alumilite recommended Robinair as well and that's what I
                              > recently bought when my old pump died. Here's the web site (Tooltopia)
                              > where you can buy one (http://www.tooltopia.com). Great price and delivery.
                              > They only have 1 Robinair model number so you can't go wrong. This is a
                              > FAST flow pump (2 cfm) which empties a 12" diameter x 6" deep vacuum chamber
                              > in short time, short enough you can evacuate Alumilite's fast set resin and
                              > still have time to put a backing plate on the mold before the resin starts
                              > setting up.
                              >

                              > Jim King
                              >
                              > Smoky Mountain Model Works, Inc.
                              >
                              > www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

                              -Joel

                              *Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.

                              *Fight for Valor, not Glory. Fight for Honor, not Recognition. Fight for the Love of Combat, not the Need for Victory. Fight for your Inspiration, not yourself.

                              *I love those moments...I like to wave at them as they pass by.

                            • DOC
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 8, 2007
                                Moisture traps are not all that expensive so if you have any concerns
                                just put one in the line where you think appropriate. You'll soon see
                                if any water is collecting.

                                I just got myself a used Gast pump. For some reason it has
                                moisture traps on the in and out.

                                DOC

                                At 09:50 AM 4/7/2007 -0700, you wrote:

                                >Doc
                                >I have been surfing the net for some time trying to get a handle on a
                                >decent, reasonal Robinair Vacuum Pump recently came from another site
                                >dealing with the topic of clayart that dealt specifically about moisture
                                >forming in the oil tank and subsequently weakening the strength of the
                                >pump thru deterioration.
                                >
                                >Being inexperienced and not having dealt with Vacuuming RTV material or
                                >vacuuming for that matter, I immediatly came to the conclusion that
                                >something similar would and could possibly also occur.
                                >
                                >ADUH!
                                >

                                >DOC <<mailto:doc%40sympatico.ca>doc@...> wrote:
                                >At 08:26 AM 4/1/2007 -0700, you wrote:

                                > >Moisture can and will accumulate in the oil tank and require you to be
                                > >diligent enough too change it frequently and unless you prevent it from
                                > >doing so, it will damage the suction capability from within.
                                > >

                                >Could you elaborate a bit on this please?
                                >
                                >I don't understand why this would happen.
                                >
                                >Tanks,
                                >DOC
                                >
                                >Buy my junk!
                                ><http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html>http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html

                                Buy my junk! http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html
                              • Steve
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 24, 2007
                                  Yes, how about this 3cfm model?
                                  <http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10642>

                                  Or this much cheaper compressed air driven 1cfm?
                                  <http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7151>

                                  Thanks,
                                  Steve Greenfield