Re: Pressure Casting Vessel ?PICTURES OF MODIFIED POT

  • dking551
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
      Seems to me the safety of the Destaco setup is also very reliant on
      quality of workmanship so to speak. If you don't do a very good job
      of installing them you could end up with the same problem. I did
      price those at one time also and they are far from cheap. You
      combine the cost of the clamps and the cost of the HF tank and you're
      not that far off from the cost of a name brand professional tank.

      David

      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Rogers" <jr@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for hanging on to those pics Mike! Someone can redo my math,
      but
      > there's a couple thousand pounds pressure on the lid at 65psi, so be
      > cautious about the chain thing. The DeStaCo clamps work well,
      there's a
      > little tweeking to on the lock nuts for a while to get the lid to
      not leak,
      > but it works very well with the clamps. Also, be very careful
      welding to the
      > tank, you can see in the pics that I didn't weld to the lid, and
      only had
      > ears tig welded to the existing clamp supports on the tank. Best of
      luck, if
      > you want to call me with any questions about my setup, 951-360-9933
      usually
      > 7-5 pacific time.
      >
      > jim
      >

      > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130019.jpg
      >
      > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130020.jpg
      >
      > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130021.jpg
      >
      > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130023.jpg
      >
      > Mike Kucaba

    • Jim Rogers
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
        Correct, not cheap, I wouldn't go buy the HF tank just to do this, but it's
        better than tossing yet another tank (I really like the powder coating!),
        plus they are nice and quick when you've got to slam on the lid as things
        are curing.

        jr

        Seems to me the safety of the Destaco setup is also very reliant on
        quality of workmanship so to speak. If you don't do a very good job
        of installing them you could end up with the same problem. I did
        price those at one time also and they are far from cheap. You
        combine the cost of the clamps and the cost of the HF tank and you're
        not that far off from the cost of a name brand professional tank.

        David

        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Rogers" <jr@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for hanging on to those pics Mike! Someone can redo my math,
        but
        > there's a couple thousand pounds pressure on the lid at 65psi, so be
        > cautious about the chain thing. The DeStaCo clamps work well,
        there's a
        > little tweeking to on the lock nuts for a while to get the lid to
        not leak,
        > but it works very well with the clamps. Also, be very careful
        welding to the
        > tank, you can see in the pics that I didn't weld to the lid, and
        only had
        > ears tig welded to the existing clamp supports on the tank. Best of
        luck, if
        > you want to call me with any questions about my setup, 951-360-9933
        usually
        > 7-5 pacific time.
        >
        > jim
        >

        > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130019.jpg
        >
        > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130020.jpg
        >
        > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130021.jpg
        >
        > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130023.jpg
        >
        > Mike Kucaba

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. http://www.eset.com
      • Mike Kucaba
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
          The REAL problem is that no one is making a tank specifically for pressure casting.I had a contact many years ago for a Phil Kordich
          welding that did indeed make tanks for some of the model casters like D&E ,Lunar etc.Recently I was in contact with a company on the
          west coast that looked promising,but that fizzled(glad I didn't send the money)I finally bit the bullet and bought a used autoclave
          like someone on this list uses.It's huge,all stainless,sits level and I can easily get large long pieces in it,or multiple
          molds.Hey! It even has a shelf!It wasn't cheap,but I do want good equipment.

          Mike Kucaba

          > Seems to me the safety of the Destaco setup is also very reliant on
          > quality of workmanship so to speak. If you don't do a very good job
          > of installing them you could end up with the same problem. I did
          > price those at one time also and they are far from cheap. You
          > combine the cost of the clamps and the cost of the HF tank and you're
          > not that far off from the cost of a name brand professional tank.
          >
          > David
          >
          > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Rogers" <jr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks for hanging on to those pics Mike! Someone can redo my math,
          > but
          > > there's a couple thousand pounds pressure on the lid at 65psi, so be
          > > cautious about the chain thing. The DeStaCo clamps work well,
          > there's a
          > > little tweeking to on the lock nuts for a while to get the lid to
          > not leak,
          > > but it works very well with the clamps. Also, be very careful
          > welding to the
          > > tank, you can see in the pics that I didn't weld to the lid, and
          > only had
          > > ears tig welded to the existing clamp supports on the tank. Best of
          > luck, if
          > > you want to call me with any questions about my setup, 951-360-9933
          > usually
          > > 7-5 pacific time.
          > >
          > > jim
          > >

          > > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130019.jpg
          > >
          > > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130020.jpg
          > >
          > > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130021.jpg
          > >
          > > http://my.core.com/~mikekook/clamps/P3130023.jpg
          > >
          > > Mike Kucaba
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dking551
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
            What about the pot Alumilite sells? Yes, it does appear to be yet
            another paint pot, but is it safe for our uses? I would assume so
            since Alumilite sells it.
            I agree, a pot designed for casters would be shorter and wider, and
            that would be nice, but there appears to be no other option. I'm not
            making any money to speak of with this, don't want to spend a fortune
            on it, and I take it an autoclave is rather pricey, even used?
            I really don't consider the Destaco clamps an option, the adaptation
            of those clamps to an HF pot just looks scary to me. The convenience
            would be nice, but I'm not sure I believe it's any safer.

            David

            --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Kucaba" <mikekook@...> wrote:

            > The REAL problem is that no one is making a tank specifically for
            pressure casting.I had a contact many years ago for a Phil Kordich
            > welding that did indeed make tanks for some of the model casters
            like D&E ,Lunar etc.Recently I was in contact with a company on the
            > west coast that looked promising,but that fizzled(glad I didn't
            send the money)I finally bit the bullet and bought a used autoclave
            > like someone on this list uses.It's huge,all stainless,sits level
            and I can easily get large long pieces in it,or multiple
            > molds.Hey! It even has a shelf!It wasn't cheap,but I do want good
            equipment.

            > Mike Kucaba

            MODIFIED POT