Re: I suppose greetings are in order

  • Miracle Castings Inc.
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1998
      Jim wrote:

      <snip>
      I really haven't bothered to set any sort of limit to my interests. I find reading about fiber glass techniques as interesting as playing around with rtv and metal.
      <snip>

      Hi Jim! This is one of the neat things about casting; there are so many different techniques that you can try. In previous posts, we've been giving a list of all the different types of casting, and there always seems to be a few more that haven't been listed. Have fun!

      Pat
    • J.Duchow
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 1998
        Well, I guess I have put this off long enough. And now that I have responded to a few messages I might as well step forward and introduce myself. I suppose you could call me something of a hobbyist. I first came in contact with molding and the like when I was a teenager. I ordered a kit from Duncan, some metal, a ladle, a gravity mold of vulcanized rubber and some talc. I played around with a bit and it found a nice home in some drawer for years and years. Recently I began playing with resins (por-a-kast I and por-a-kast II). It was a hop skip and a jump to RTV silicone and some more molten metal. I have only been playing with molding and casting for about 4 or 5 months now.

        I really haven't bothered to set any sort of limit to my interests. I find reading about fiber glass techniques as interesting as playing around with rtv and metal. I would enjoy building a company that does rapid-prototyping or something with regards to molding/casting and/or composites, but again, I will let this sort of develop. Who knows what tomorrows market will bring.

        Right now I am working on converting an old record player into a spincaster. I don't think it will be impossible to get something I can get reasonable results from. Basically I am trying to DIY my way into the sometimes expensive world of molding/casting. Don't worry I have always had a great respect for pressure and items under same. Although the recent postings served to jog the mind a bit.

        Jim Duchow