RE: [casting] Shellac

  • Curtis O. Seebeck
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2006
      "but where on earth do you nu it these days?? "

      I think you are asking where you buy it now days? If so, you can get Zinser
      Shellac at Lowes or Home Depot. You can get Shallac flakes at any good
      woodworking store including Woodcraft. Woodworkers still really like
      Shellac.

      Curtis O. Seebeck
      Pioneer of the cast cactus pen!
      www.TurnTex.com
    • Oliver T.
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
        >(snip)...At that point the guy behind the counter
        > looked at me and asked "Well, how OLD
        > are you anyway?"..(snip)

        Ahhh...how satisfying it is to trounce a 'know-it-all' clerk...!

        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20030&cat=1,190,42942

        Flake form is STILL the best form for quality work...ask any top-notch
        cabinet maker or furniture refinisher...

        Oliver T.
        TTT, NB
      • Esther Marker
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
          Speaking of shellac, a while ago, I needed some to seal some miniature wooden furniture I was working on. I was looking for flakes, but when I sent someone to get it for me, he came back with some ghastly orange goo that had "gasket shellac" written on it. Are there different types of shellac or was this gasket shellac just mixed with something strange?

          Esther
          www.magicsculpture.com
          3-d model and anatomy resource for sculptors
          www.magicminiatures.com
          Art dolls, miniatures, petitpoint patterns, fabric ("to scale" prints) and unusual supplies.

        • Spanosnu@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
            Hi Esther,

            Gasket shellac is used to cement and seal gaskets two to metal surfaces
            together so they don't leak liquids or gases. It would be very unsatisfactory
            to use this as a surface coat for wood, cardboard, or paper. Hardware stores
            or paint stores should have shellac that is used for this latter purpose.

            Rick

          • Esther Marker

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
                I suppose shellac is a good product, although I can never get themix
                right, so I just stick with plain old marine varnish.

                Regards Charles