cold casting and miniatures

  • darth5jason
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7 8:49 PM
      hey everyone, I've been lurking for a while on this list and I have
      some questions you may be able to help out with.

      I'm sculpting miniatures currently in green stuff and styrene
      modeling plastic. The problem is to create a metal cast it goes
      through vulcanization and obviously the plastic can't do that. I
      can get it cold cast in resin, but it runs me around 200$ to get one
      model. even if I were to get the resin blank for turning into a
      metal miniature and a couple of extra to paint up as show models,
      it's a lot of money to spend for each model, in a line of miniatures
      that's going to run probably about 100 miniatures total in the first
      year.
      Of course I'm exploring other scupting options, but that is a huge
      shift in my technique which would take some time to recover, so I'm
      looking to find out if it's possible to cold cast for metal or
      resin, keep the detail on the original, and keep it relatively cheap?
      I know, it's probably the million dollar question but I thought I'd
      ask anyway. I've done some resin casting at home and it works out
      as long as the piece is a single mold type layout, but I don't have
      the know how to create multiple part molds.

      Jason
    • Charles Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8 4:22 PM
        Cold cast RTV silicon rubber from Dow(e?) Corning, get the appropriate
        catalyst and you should be able to melt your white metal, and have the
        mould last for many years due to anti-corrosives.

        Can I assume you're making model soldiers... maybe Fantasy Battle or 20K?

        Personally I use the rubbers for mass producing wax models, but have
        used them for white metal (pewter would be okay also).

        Regards Charles
        P.S. The rubber costs $35 aud per pound... well in Oz anyway.

        darth5jason wrote:

        >hey everyone, I've been lurking for a while on this list and I have
        >some questions you may be able to help out with.
        >
        >I'm sculpting miniatures currently in green stuff and styrene
        >modeling plastic. The problem is to create a metal cast it goes
        >through vulcanization and obviously the plastic can't do that. I
        >can get it cold cast in resin, but it runs me around 200$ to get one
        >model. even if I were to get the resin blank for turning into a
        >metal miniature and a couple of extra to paint up as show models,
        >it's a lot of money to spend for each model, in a line of miniatures
        >that's going to run probably about 100 miniatures total in the first
        >year.
        >Of course I'm exploring other scupting options, but that is a huge
        >shift in my technique which would take some time to recover, so I'm
        >looking to find out if it's possible to cold cast for metal or
        >resin, keep the detail on the original, and keep it relatively cheap?
        >I know, it's probably the million dollar question but I thought I'd
        >ask anyway. I've done some resin casting at home and it works out
        >as long as the piece is a single mold type layout, but I don't have
        >the know how to create multiple part molds.
        >
        >Jason

      • Lane Shutt
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9 11:01 PM
          darth5jason wrote:

          >hey everyone, I've been lurking for a while on this list and I have
          >some questions you may be able to help out with.
          >
          >I'm sculpting miniatures currently in green stuff and styrene
          >modeling plastic. ... I can get it cold cast in resin, but it runs me around 200$ to get one model. ... it's a lot of money to spend for each model, in a line of miniatures that's going to run probably about 100 miniatures total in the first year.

          Not sure what you are making but anything that would cost $200 each to
          cast in resin would also
          be expensive to cast in metal. I suspect you were either given a quote
          for the first resin casting or they wanted to rip you off.

          How about a description of the model, or at least the dimensions.
          Pictures would be better.
          With some advise from the list you can probably cast the model your self.

          --
          Lane