Pressure pot help

  • Bob Davies
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
      It is expensive, I know but the cheap one I tried for before did not
      materialise. Item number 130002722098 on ebay is what I have gone for,
      but the instructions on setting it are unreadable.

      2 connections, one blank, the other with a safety valve. Do I need to
      block one up and connect my compressor to the other.
    • Joseph L. Suttie III
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
        hope this helps:
        http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_10_10_05.html

        Bob Davies wrote:

        > It is expensive, I know but the cheap one I tried for before did not
        > materialise. Item number 130002722098 on ebay is what I have gone for,
        > but the instructions on setting it are unreadable.
        >
        > 2 connections, one blank, the other with a safety valve. Do I need to
        > block one up and connect my compressor to the other.

      • REDROCKET
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
          On the Harbor Freight pot, I connected my hose to the Valve/guage. The other
          side gets capped. And the port on the lid that would pump out the paint also
          gets capped.

          On 8/2/06 12:53 PM, "Bob Davies" <davies.bobuk@...> wrote:

          > It is expensive, I know but the cheap one I tried for before did not
          > materialise. Item number 130002722098 on ebay is what I have gone for,
          > but the instructions on setting it are unreadable.
          >
          > 2 connections, one blank, the other with a safety valve. Do I need to
          > block one up and connect my compressor to the other.

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
            on a tank, one opening and the other with a savtey valve, you can plug one
            and use the other for filling and pressure release but probly more fittings.

            one the empty one i would pope it this way:
            tank:nipple:ballvalve:nipple:ailrline quick disconnect

            where the safety valve i would pipe it this way:
            Tank:Nipple:Tee:Pressure guage from the top:PRV on the other outlett of the
            tee.
            get a prv (pressure relief valve) that you can manually open as well as one
            that opens on your own, that woya you can dump your pressure here.

            if you want to use the same tank for Vaccume, just get a dual purpose guage
            or use a quick connect under 2 types of guages and swap them out and would
            save fittings.

            Steve

            > It is expensive, I know but the cheap one I tried for before did not
            > materialise. Item number 130002722098 on ebay is what I have gone for,
            > but the instructions on setting it are unreadable.
            >
            > 2 connections, one blank, the other with a safety valve. Do I need to
            > block one up and connect my compressor to the other.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bob Davies
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
              Thanks folks, looks like I am going shopping tommorrow.

              I jave a seperate vacuum chamber already, so vacuum is not a
              consideration.

              I am hoping to cast clear resin with this setup. The tank goes up to
              80 psi, what pressure would be best for resin casting.

              --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <orcdom@...> wrote:

              > on a tank, one opening and the other with a savtey valve, you can
              plug one
              > and use the other for filling and pressure release but probly more
              fittings.

              > one the empty one i would pope it this way:
              > tank:nipple:ballvalve:nipple:ailrline quick disconnect
              >
              > where the safety valve i would pipe it this way:
              > Tank:Nipple:Tee:Pressure guage from the top:PRV on the other
              outlett of the
              > tee.
              > get a prv (pressure relief valve) that you can manually open as
              well as one
              > that opens on your own, that woya you can dump your pressure here.
              >
              > if you want to use the same tank for Vaccume, just get a dual
              purpose guage
              > or use a quick connect under 2 types of guages and swap them out
              and would
              > save fittings.
              >
              > Steve

            • Joseph L. Suttie III
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                Smooth-on's clear casting resin casts crystal clear with 40 psi:
                http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_4_15_04.html

                Bob Davies wrote:

                > Thanks folks, looks like I am going shopping tommorrow.
                >
                > I jave a seperate vacuum chamber already, so vacuum is not a
                > consideration.
                >
                > I am hoping to cast clear resin with this setup. The tank goes up to
                > 80 psi, what pressure would be best for resin casting.
                >
                > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Steve" <orcdom@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > on a tank, one opening and the other with a savtey valve, you can
                > plug one
                > > and use the other for filling and pressure release but probly more
                > fittings.
                > >
                > > one the empty one i would pope it this way:
                > > tank:nipple:ballvalve:nipple:ailrline quick disconnect
                > >
                > > where the safety valve i would pipe it this way:
                > > Tank:Nipple:Tee:Pressure guage from the top:PRV on the other
                > outlett of the
                > > tee.
                > > get a prv (pressure relief valve) that you can manually open as
                > well as one
                > > that opens on your own, that woya you can dump your pressure here.
                > >
                > > if you want to use the same tank for Vaccume, just get a dual
                > purpose guage
                > > or use a quick connect under 2 types of guages and swap them out
                > and would
                > > save fittings.
                > >
                > > Steve

              • Mike Bauers
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                  It sounds like you have NO safety valve on a make of pressure pot
                  that is known to have the lock-downs eventually pressure stress and
                  catastrophically fail.

                  Scary !!!

                  Best to ya'
                  Mike Bauers
                  Milwaukee Wi, USA

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Looks like I will be doing some clear resin casting this weekend.

                    --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph L. Suttie III"
                    <jsuttie1@...> wrote:

                    > Smooth-on's clear casting resin casts crystal clear with 40 psi:
                    > http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_4_15_04.html
                    >
                    > Bob Davies wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks folks, looks like I am going shopping tommorrow.
                    > >
                    > > I jave a seperate vacuum chamber already, so vacuum is not a
                    > > consideration.
                    > >
                    > > I am hoping to cast clear resin with this setup. The tank goes
                    up to
                    > > 80 psi, what pressure would be best for resin casting.
                    > >
                    > > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com <mailto:casting%
                    40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > > "Steve" <orcdom@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > on a tank, one opening and the other with a savtey valve, you
                    can
                    > > plug one
                    > > > and use the other for filling and pressure release but probly
                    more
                    > > fittings.
                    > > >
                    > > > one the empty one i would pope it this way:
                    > > > tank:nipple:ballvalve:nipple:ailrline quick disconnect
                    > > >
                    > > > where the safety valve i would pipe it this way:
                    > > > Tank:Nipple:Tee:Pressure guage from the top:PRV on the other
                    > > outlett of the
                    > > > tee.
                    > > > get a prv (pressure relief valve) that you can manually open as
                    > > well as one
                    > > > that opens on your own, that woya you can dump your pressure
                    here.

                    > > > if you want to use the same tank for Vaccume, just get a dual
                    > > purpose guage
                    > > > or use a quick connect under 2 types of guages and swap them
                    out
                    > > and would
                    > > > save fittings.
                    > > >
                    > > > Steve

                  • Rob de Bie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                      At 21:58 02-08-2006, you wrote:
                      >hope this helps:
                      >http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_10_10_05.html

                      Great site Joseph! I enjoyed looking at the various casting projects. And I
                      was impressed by your vacuum chamber implosion!! That sharp piece
                      puncturing a water bottle is a very good example of the dangers:

                      http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_o.html

                      Rob
                    • Joseph L. Suttie III
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                        That was a wild experience. It seemed to work fine for the first few
                        attempts then if fell apart once a fresh seal was made. I've also seen
                        pics of homemade pressure pot made from a pressure cooker, luckily only
                        the retaining ring broke on him. . .No I didn't even try this, besides
                        the paint pot costs about the same as a pressure cooker pot.

                        I wanted to document as much as I could so other's wouldn't start out as
                        bewildered as me. The more folks casting (for us modelers) the more
                        models available.

                        Did you see the oomoo and squirrel cage mixer incident picture? RTV all
                        over the work table, me and the floor, such a waste. I still use my
                        electric drill to get good even mixes, its fast and effective, but I
                        don't use the squirrel cage mixer anymore. It's partially the drills
                        fault, my dewalt cordless had much better speed control from the
                        trigger, but the battery died and I went with a cheep corded drill.

                        Rob de Bie wrote:

                        > At 21:58 02-08-2006, you wrote:
                        > >hope this helps:
                        > >http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_10_10_05.html
                        > <http://www.kc6sye.com/techmages_10_10_05.html>
                        >
                        > Great site Joseph! I enjoyed looking at the various casting projects.
                        > And I
                        > was impressed by your vacuum chamber implosion!! That sharp piece
                        > puncturing a water bottle is a very good example of the dangers:
                        >
                        > http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_o.html
                        > <http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_o.html>
                        >
                        > Rob

                      • Rob de Bie
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                          Hello Joseph.

                          >Did you see the oomoo and squirrel cage mixer incident picture?

                          This one?

                          http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_j.html

                          What happened, did you mix/drill through the container?

                          Do I see a vacuum desiccator here:

                          http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_k.html

                          I'm considering buying one as a small vacuum chamber.

                          Rob
                        • Joseph L. Suttie III
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                            The vacuum chamber there is Chad's and I never tried it with the Robniar
                            vacuum pump. It was attached to an aircraft resin laminating system's
                            pump with reservoir tank. I believe Chad has used it often though.

                            I was mixing the oomoo in one of the paint cups a 1/2 quart I think, but
                            I was drawing out the mixer and running the drill slightly to help draw
                            out as much of the RTV as I could. The squirrel cage mixers are great
                            for large RTV mixings. It helps ensure that all the RTV is mixed
                            throughly saving wasted material. But in this case the drill flung up
                            to speed very quickly while I tried to keep the speed up enough to drive
                            out the RTV from the cage's fins. It produced a beautiful arcing sheath
                            of blue RTV like a coy pond fountain. Then I scooped as much as I could
                            into the mold box, should've been more than enough to cover everything
                            but not after the spill.

                            Rob de Bie wrote:

                            > Hello Joseph.
                            >
                            > >Did you see the oomoo and squirrel cage mixer incident picture?
                            >
                            > This one?
                            >
                            > http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_j.html
                            > <http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_j.html>
                            >
                            > What happened, did you mix/drill through the container?
                            >
                            > Do I see a vacuum desiccator here:
                            >
                            > http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_k.html
                            > <http://www.kc6sye.com/advancedcasting_k.html>
                            >
                            > I'm considering buying one as a small vacuum chamber.
                            >
                            > Rob

                          • BobD
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 23, 2011
                              I have bought a Clarke Air CPP2 pressure pot. Fairly small.

                              After some time, I have managed to get the pressure gauge and other gubbins of the screw on cap.

                              If I am looking at this correctly, I have a pressure relief valve built in.

                              To make this useful, I want to put an air line quick release fitting on and block off the other hole. However, the quick release fittings I have seem to be a completely different thread.

                              If anyone is familiar with this pressure pot, can they tell me what the threads are, so I can try to find a suitable adaptor and plug.

                              I have a small compressor that I am itching to connect up and try my hand at resin pressure casting...........
                            • Dallas Richardson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 23, 2011
                                If it was me,?? I would put my little pot in my vehicle and go to a GOOD wielding supply house or the equivalent supply store... Grab the assistant manager or someone KNOWLEDGEABLE, by the arm and show him the pot and then tell him what you want to do... See what he comes up with??

                                Dallas