Re: Heating Resin

  • LUV2X@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 1999
      Hello. Wasn't there a type of high-heat resin available to use which
      can withstand higher temperatures ? I was thinking of using a resin as
      a mold material to be able to plastic inject into, or to pour metals
      into ? I thought someone had mentioned this before.

      Thanks, Eugene
    • Elmer McKay
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 1999
        At 05:34 AM 6/1/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: LUV2X@...
        >
        >Hello. Wasn't there a type of high-heat resin available to use which
        >can withstand higher temperatures ? I was thinking of using a resin as
        >a mold material to be able to plastic inject into, or to pour metals
        >into ? I thought someone had mentioned this before.
        >
        >Thanks, Eugene

        Hi Eugene,

        I am trying to work the plastic injection angle using epoxy molds, and it
        may have been my posting you saw. I have just found a company who carries
        600 degree epoxy and two part liquid ceramic material. I called them for
        their catalog this morning. Their name is Cotronics Corp. and they have a
        web site at
        http://www.cotronics.com
        The product line they carry should have something in it we both can use.

        I have only contacted one other company so far, but their minimum was 5
        gallons of epoxy & hardner plus two types of aluminum fillers. Their
        material only went to 350 degrees. I also got the impression from them
        that when epoxies are used for injection molds, they should be encased in a
        steel enclosure to keep the heated up epoxy from deforming at the injection
        pressures. I hope I don't have to do that, so I will be experimenting some.

        I would be interested in hearing more about what you are trying to do, and
        what equipment you have, if you want to contact me off list.

        Elmer.

        Elmer W. McKay
        TT Scale Model Railroader.
        Need TT Scale items? Go to: