Re: [casting] Vacuum forming styrene sheets

  • Gary Woodard
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi Chris,

      I usually get my styrene from a local supplier, I buy the scraps at around .75 cents a pound, and if I diver her dumpster, then I may find plenty more there for free............:o)

      Gary W

      We have winners, we have losers, we have chain smokers and boozers at Sinkhole Lounge at http://www.kbdixon.com/gary/gary.htm

    • Bill Kerr
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
        --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Thea <thealauren@y...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have a source for "cheep" styrene they
        > could share? My supplier has gone out of business.
        >
        > Thanks

        I get mine from GE plastics in 4'x 8'sheets. Yes that was feet.

        Regards Bill
      • Gary Woodard
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
          Hi Bill,

          I usually get them in whats left of 4X8 sheets, they also come in 4x10 or 4X12, depends on what you need, I use the plastic to make patterns with.............:o)

          Gary W

          We have winners, we have losers, we have chain smokers and boozers at Sinkhole Lounge at http://www.kbdixon.com/gary/gary.htm

        • uptoolateny
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
            Sorry for the delay in responding to those who offered their advice...
            having a few PC problems. Regarding the use of talc to obtain a flat
            finish on my resin casts, I did give this a try and found that the talc
            coating on the mold did soften up the details of the cast pieces just a
            bit.

            The master model is comprised of cedar shingles roughly .005" thick and
            I found that the talc would even out some of the ridges in these
            shingles. Not by much, and really only visible under the macro lens,
            but enough.

            I think I've got to be a bit more careful in my application of both
            paint and Dull Coat. I've been back to work on that, and I have found
            that I achieve better result by airbrushing the Dull Coat rather than
            using the aerosol can. I've also moved over to Pollyscale paints, and I
            find this helps quite a bit as well.

            John