Re: HF Pressure pot Retro

  • patrickbeusen
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hello,

      Why does everebody uses a paint pressure pot while a dental pressure
      pot closes in seconds.

      Best whishes for 2005,
      Patrick Beusen

      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "murbranch" <murbranch@y...> wrote:

      > A few threads indicate some potential problems with the harbor
      freight
      > pressure pot and yet some sem to have had no problems (yet)
      >
      > One issue if I understood it is the "wing nuts" cast iron... If this
      > is the problem cant these be retrofit with better quality wing nuts?
      >
      > Or do the problems run deeper?
      >
      > I don't mind a trip or two to the hardware store to replace
      something
      > brand new IF it saves my life.
      >

      > Thanks.
      >
      > Murray
    • Casting Fool
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 1, 2005
        From: "patrickbeusen" <pro_patria_be@...>
        > Why does everebody uses a paint pressure pot while a dental pressure
        > pot closes in seconds.

        I assume that you are referring to an autoclave. I am interested in trying
        that one, but haven't been able to obtain a unit. One problem I can foresee
        might be the size of the opening. Though having a hinged door that closes
        with one latch would be very nice.

        I think autoclaves are good up to 200 psi. Not sure, I haven't actually
        worked with one, yet.

        TTFN - Mike Jackson
        Casting Fool & Son
        http://www.cfnson.com
        Water Sysop Services
        http://www.watersysop.com
        Augusta, GA USA
      • Wolfgang Gebranzig
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 1, 2005
          Not really, I got my dental poly-chamber in almost the same size than my
          aluminite´s pressure pot. It is build inside a square metal housing, the lid
          on top opens and closes in about one second, it goes up to about 60 psi and
          got a built in heating system!!!!
          Far better than pressure paint-pots, easier to handle and ideal for short
          cure resins (180 seconds and below). It just takes a couple of seconds to
          fill the mold, 1 second to close the lid, and about another 1,5 seconds to
          get 55 psi of pressure I am using.
          If I had to start allover again on pressure casting, I would go for such an
          item at first place. After all, these dental chambers where designed and
          built for pressure casting purposes in the first place, not for throwing
          thick paint to a garage-wall. Very expensive if bought brand new, but if
          lucky really cheap on ebay, I saw some for less than 100$. Even if you have
          to pay more, it all will pay onces you start working with it. Only problem
          is finding one with the "right" chamber-size. But there are at least 15
          different companies (just europe) building these items. I use a super silent
          dental compressor as well which allows me to do casting all night long if I
          ever wish so - got that at ebay as well, did cost less than one of those
          "hellraisers" from the local DIY.
          regards
          Wolfgang

          I assume that you are referring to an autoclave. I am interested in trying
          that one, but haven't been able to obtain a unit. One problem I can foresee
          might be the size of the opening. Though having a hinged door that closes
          with one latch would be very nice.

          I think autoclaves are good up to 200 psi. Not sure, I haven't actually
          worked with one, yet.

          TTFN - Mike Jackson
          Casting Fool & Son
          http://www.cfnson.com
          Water Sysop Services
          http://www.watersysop.com
          Augusta, GA USA

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • patrickbeusen
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2005
            I have the same pressure pot as Wolfgang discribes but without the
            heating system. It costs around €-300 for a 9 liter pot(21cm high
            25cm diameter. It is the biggest i could find but would like to buy a
            bigger(higher)one.In the US you can find them on
            www.greatlakesortho.com i believe.

            Regads,
            Patrick.

          • Ray K.
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 1, 2005
              You can find them on eBay every day.

              Search "pressure pot" or "paint pot" or "paint tank".

              Ray K.

> [...]
              > least 15
              > > different companies (just europe) building these items. I use a
              > super silent
              > > dental compressor as well which allows me to do casting all night
              > long if I
              > > ever wish so - got that at ebay as well, did cost less than one of
              > those
              > > "hellraisers" from the local DIY.
              > > regards
              > > Wolfgang
              > >

              > > I assume that you are referring to an autoclave. I am interested
              > in trying
              > > that one, but haven't been able to obtain a unit. One problem I
              > can foresee
              > > might be the size of the opening. Though having a hinged door that
              > closes
              > > with one latch would be very nice.
              > >
              > > I think autoclaves are good up to 200 psi. Not sure, I haven't

            • mario mohl
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 3, 2005
                Hi Mike, group,

                First I must apologize for throwing the Destaco clamp thing out there and then proceeding to disappear, the holiday week is to be blamed.

                Unfortunately I dont have a model number for the clamps I use, they are locally made copies of a long gone destaco model. Anyway, no modifications are done on the tank, instead, a piece of pipe is welded to the clamp´s base and fits the pin where the normal "C" arms are attached, the clamps are of the straight action type which can be used to push or pull. The plunger has an internal thread which allows adjusting a threaded rod hook that grabs the lid in the same fashion as the original and the whole clamp hinges in the same manner the "C" arms do to be out of the way when opening the pot. No drilling or welding on the pot or lid. They look a lot like the 628 model on the Destaco website but the inner thread is for 1/2 in.

                Hope this helps

                mario

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2005
                  From: "mario mohl" <mariomohl@...>
                  > Hi Mike, group,
                  > First I must apologize for throwing the Destaco clamp thing out there and
                  then proceeding to disappear, the holiday week is to be blamed.

                  No problem.

                  > Unfortunately I dont have a model number for the clamps I use, they are
                  locally made copies of a long gone destaco model...

                  I just got confirmation yesterday that De-Sta-Co shipped my catalogs out on
                  the 28th of December. I'll look through them to see if anything looks
                  adaptable for pressure tanks.

                  I noticed that some of the folk here referenced that their pressure tank had
                  three hold-down clamps. Mine (an Alumilite tank) has four.

                  TTFN - Mike Jackson
                  Casting Fool & Son
                  http://www.cfnson.com
                  Water Sysop Services