Re: Scaling Up

  • kash_is_cood
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
      Eh.....Not all of us are ole timers. :)
      phil

      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hayes" <steckel@c...> wrote:
      > And most of us old timers KNOW the "shinkage" problem! EH???

    • Robert Hayes
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
        (G)
        >> And most of us old timers KNOW the "shinkage" problem! EH???

      • Casting Fool
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
          I should have written that the pieces fit together like a puzzle, sort of
          pie-shaped. It's real important that the pieces stay the same size relative
          to each other.

          I remember reading about the resins that expand and shrink, but not the
          names or vendors. I suppose I could use the archives to get that info.

          I was just looking for any suggestions from folk who've used these resins in
          the past.

          TTFN - Mike Jackson
          Casting Fool & Son
          Augusta, GA USA
          http://www.cfnson.com
        • Les Lamborn
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
            http://www.magicsculpt.com/ <http://www.magicsculpt.com/> hydrospan
            is the key word to put in the search window.

            Les

            ________________________________

            I should have written that the pieces fit together like a puzzle, sort
            of
            pie-shaped. It's real important that the pieces stay the same size
            relative
            to each other.

            I remember reading about the resins that expand and shrink, but not the
            names or vendors. I suppose I could use the archives to get that info.

            I was just looking for any suggestions from folk who've used these
            resins in
            the past.

            TTFN - Mike Jackson
            Casting Fool & Son
            Augusta, GA USA
            http://www.cfnson.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296k8i28/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705063511:HM/EXP=1099404263/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ibec42d/*htt
            p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10993178639
            17238>
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296k8i28/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705063511:HM/EXP=1099404263/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ibec42d/*htt
            p://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10993178639
            17238>

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099
            317863917238>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=109183200>

          • Casting Fool
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
              From: "Les Lamborn" <llamborn@...>
              > http://www.magicsculpt.com/ <http://www.magicsculpt.com/> hydrospan
              > is the key word to put in the search window.

              Actually, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help, Les.
              You saved me a search in the archives.

              TTFN - Mike Jackson
              Casting Fool & Son
              Augusta, GA USA
              http://www.cfnson.com
            • Robert Hayes
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 1, 2004
                Mike, have seen ads for those very products, but my amoeba sized brain is
                witholding on me....When I find it I'll yell. One goes up and one goes
                down... Kinda' like....
                > I should have written that the pieces fit together like a puzzle, sort of
                > pie-shaped. It's real important that the pieces stay the same size
                > relative
                > to each other.
                >
                > I remember reading about the resins that expand and shrink, but not the
                > names or vendors. I suppose I could use the archives to get that info.
                >
                > I was just looking for any suggestions from folk who've used these resins
                > in
                > the past.
                >
                > TTFN - Mike Jackson
                > Casting Fool & Son
                > Augusta, GA USA
                > http://www.cfnson.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • dking551
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Hey Bob, I might have an application for this process as well now.
                  Can you be more specific as to the model of Smooth-on RTV that this
                  works with? Also, is there a limit to how big a mold you can start
                  with?

                  Thanks

                  David

                  --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hayes" <steckel@c...> wrote:
                  > I have been doing this with model car parts from 1/25th scale to
                  1/8th
                  > scale. I use Micro-Mark (Smooth-On Rtv . Make a mold of the small
                  master. 4
                  > hour cure time. When cured. throw the mold into a 3 lb Folgers
                  coffee can
                  > filled halfway w/ Coleman lantern fuel (White gas). Soak the
                  submerged mold
                  > for two days. It will "grow three times its original size. When
                  done,
                  > CAREFULLY use baby powder and a VERY soft brush to remove as much
                  surface
                  > liquid as you can. Then pour your first casting. This will usually
                  cause the
                  > mold to spilt due to the exothermic process due to the RTV losig
                  its
                  > molecular structure. ( Won't work w/ Dow or other "tight" RTV's).
                  For me,
                  > three times this process and I'm at 1/8th scale. Hope this helps?

                • Tom Banwell
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 6, 2004
                    Silicone Inc's GI-1000 works fine for this process. I use kerosene. The silicone is absorbing the liquid, so a fairly uniform wall thickness will give you a more uniform expansion.

                    For an example, the larger Computer Bug was created this way from the smaller: http://www.lumicast.com/jewelry.html

                    Tom
                    Tom Banwell Designs
                    www.lumicast.com

                    Hey Bob, I might have an application for this process as well now.
                    Can you be more specific as to the model of Smooth-on RTV that this
                    works with? Also, is there a limit to how big a mold you can start
                    with?

                    Thanks

                    David

                    --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hayes" <steckel@c...> wrote:
                    > I have been doing this with model car parts from 1/25th scale to
                    1/8th
                    > scale. I use Micro-Mark (Smooth-On Rtv . Make a mold of the small
                    master. 4
                    > hour cure time. When cured. throw the mold into a 3 lb Folgers
                    coffee can
                    > filled halfway w/ Coleman lantern fuel (White gas). Soak the
                    submerged mold
                    > for two days. It will "grow three times its original size. When
                    done,
                    > CAREFULLY use baby powder and a VERY soft brush to remove as much
                    surface
                    > liquid as you can. Then pour your first casting. This will usually
                    cause the
                    > mold to spilt due to the exothermic process due to the RTV losig
                    its
                    > molecular structure. ( Won't work w/ Dow or other "tight" RTV's).
                    For me,
                    > three times this process and I'm at 1/8th scale. Hope this helps?

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • tjetomy@hotmail.com

                      Hey Bob, I might have an application for this process as well now.
                      Can you be more specific as to the model of Smooth-on RTV that this
                      works with? Also, is there a limit to how big a mold you can start
                      with?

                      Thanks

                      David

                      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hayes" <steckel@c...> wrote:
                      > I have been doing this with model car parts from 1/25th scale to
                      1/8th
                      > scale. I use Micro-Mark (Smooth-On Rtv . Make a mold of the small
                      master. 4
                      > hour cure time. When cured. throw the mold into a 3 lb Folgers
                      coffee can
                      > filled halfway w/ Coleman lantern fuel (White gas). Soak the
                      submerged mold
                      > for two days. It will "grow three times its original size. When
                      done,
                      > CAREFULLY use baby powder and a VERY soft brush to remove as much
                      surface
                      > liquid as you can. Then pour your first casting. This will usually
                      cause the
                      > mold to spilt due to the exothermic process due to the RTV losig
                      its
                      > molecular structure. ( Won't work w/ Dow or other "tight" RTV's).
                      For me,
                      > three times this process and I'm at 1/8th scale. Hope this helps?

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Get unlimited calls to

                      U.S./Canada

                    • Robert Hayes
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 7, 2004
                        Dave, the Smooth-On I have used for "growing" is the light blue stuff
                        Micro_mark sells in their catalog on about page 50. Don't care for Smooth-On
                        after getting screwed by them big time so I am no longer familiar w/ their
                        specific offerings. Suffice it to say, the 4 hour cure RTV in Micro Mark
                        grows good.
                        > Hey Bob, I might have an application for this process as well now.
                        > Can you be more specific as to the model of Smooth-on RTV that this
                        > works with? Also, is there a limit to how big a mold you can start
                        > with?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > David
                        >
                        > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hayes" <steckel@c...> wrote:
                        >> I have been doing this with model car parts from 1/25th scale to
                        > 1/8th
                        >> scale. I use Micro-Mark (Smooth-On Rtv . Make a mold of the small
                        > master. 4
                        >> hour cure time. When cured. throw the mold into a 3 lb Folgers
                        > coffee can
                        >> filled halfway w/ Coleman lantern fuel (White gas). Soak the
                        > submerged mold
                        >> for two days. It will "grow three times its original size. When
                        > done,
                        >> CAREFULLY use baby powder and a VERY soft brush to remove as much
                        > surface
                        >> liquid as you can. Then pour your first casting. This will usually
                        > cause the
                        >> mold to spilt due to the exothermic process due to the RTV losig
                        > its
                        >> molecular structure. ( Won't work w/ Dow or other "tight" RTV's).
                        > For me,
                        >> three times this process and I'm at 1/8th scale. Hope this helps?

                      • tim sheeley

                          > Hey Bob, I might have an application for this process as well now.
                          > Can you be more specific as to the model of Smooth-on RTV that this
                          > works with? Also, is there a limit to how big a mold you can start
                          > with?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > David
                          >
                          > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hayes" <steckel@c...> wrote:
                          >> I have been doing this with model car parts from 1/25th scale to
                          > 1/8th
                          >> scale. I use Micro-Mark (Smooth-On Rtv . Make a mold of the small
                          > master. 4
                          >> hour cure time. When cured. throw the mold into a 3 lb Folgers
                          > coffee can
                          >> filled halfway w/ Coleman lantern fuel (White gas). Soak the
                          > submerged mold
                          >> for two days. It will "grow three times its original size. When
                          > done,
                          >> CAREFULLY use baby powder and a VERY soft brush to remove as much
                          > surface
                          >> liquid as you can. Then pour your first casting. This will usually
                          > cause the
                          >> mold to spilt due to the exothermic process due to the RTV losig
                          > its
                          >> molecular structure. ( Won't work w/ Dow or other "tight" RTV's).
                          > For me,
                          >> three times this process and I'm at 1/8th scale. Hope this helps?

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          Get unlimited calls to

                          U.S./Canada