need help for spincasting resin

  • patrickbeusen
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hello,

      Can someone help me with spincasting resin please.The problems i have
      are the following.

      Resin fly's out between the mold halves even at 6 bar pressure.
      Venting system doesn't work every time i cast.
      how long does a RTV silicone mold last? I'm using vulcanised molds
      now but they aren't flexible enough.

      Patrick.
    • Terry Wellman
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hi Patrick,

        Does your spin caster have a pneumatic cylinder to push the bottom platen up into the locking disc? If so, you'll need to increase the PSI going against the plate.

        Venting is an art in itself. If you'd like you can send me a picture of your mold and I'll give you some suggestions as to how and where to vent the disc set.

        The lifecycle of a RTV mold depends upon several variables:
        1.) The geometry of the prototype. How many undercuts and how radical they are may affect the life of the mold.
        2.) The type of RTV used to make the mold. With as many different RTV MFR's there are just as many favorites and people who will say use this over that and so on. Where brands are concerned, you're going to have to test different products out for yourself.
        3.) Use of mold release on the mold set prior to spinning. I like Polyester-Parfilm Ultra 4 for most of the work that we do. It is very effective in our spinning operation.

        Are you using real rubber vulcanized disc sets or have you tried the synthetics that are out there? I like the real rubber that is offered by Chardan LTD in Attleboro, MA. Charles Katsanos is the owner. His number is (508) 226-2708.

        You might want to look at a synthetic disc set if real rubber is too stiff for your requirements. I've had good success spinning resin into synthetic discs from Ney and Contenti. For Synthetic vulcanizing rubbers you can try Ney Metals (Ron of Ney frequents this list) and also Contenti Co'y.

        HTH,
        Terry

        Can someone help me with spincasting resin please.The problems i have
        are the following.

        Resin fly's out between the mold halves even at 6 bar pressure.
        Venting system doesn't work every time i cast.
        how long does a RTV silicone mold last? I'm using vulcanised molds
        now but they aren't flexible enough.

        Patrick.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • stevenr_66
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hello,
          This question confused me, in that I didn't think that pressure
          could be applied in rotational casting (at least not without building
          a pressure chamber that could contain the rotocaster, too).
          Or is spin casting something other than rotocasting? I'm planning
          on investing in a rotocaster, but haven't seen one that applies
          pressure. Is spin casting under presssure something I should
          investigate?

          Thanks,
          Rick

          --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "patrickbeusen" <pro_patria_be@h...>
          wrote:
          > Hello,
          >

          > Can someone help me with spincasting resin please.The problems i
          have
          > are the following.
          >
          > Resin fly's out between the mold halves even at 6 bar pressure.
          > Venting system doesn't work every time i cast.
          > how long does a RTV silicone mold last? I'm using vulcanised molds
          > now but they aren't flexible enough.
          >
          > Patrick.
        • Brian Chapman
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
            > Use of mold release on the mold set prior to spinning. I like
            Polyester-Parfilm Ultra 4. . . . <

            Terry, hi,

            Do you use Parfilm Ultra 4 on both rubber and silicone spincasting
            disks?

            > You might want to look at a synthetic disc set if real rubber is
            too stiff for your requirements. <

            I'm under the impression rubber disks are for pewter castings,
            synthetic disks for resin. Is this the wrong way to think about them?
            Perhaps we newbs should think about rubber and silicone disks
            according to the durometer needed for a project? Rubber - hard;
            Silicone - soft (for undercuts)? Use resin and pewter with either?

            Thanks much,

            Brian Chapman
            Cedar Rapids, Iowa

            ---
          • Spanosnu@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
              Rick,

              A spin caster has a lower disc any where from 12 inches to 18 inches in
              diameter that can be raised by air pressure from an air compressor. There are
              several metal crosses usually two tow four that rotate the movable disc but is not
              attached to the disc, These crosses usually have to cross arms. The purpose
              of the cross arms are to keep a top disc from lifting off the machine. The top
              disc has two to four metal radial tangs or fingers extending from the edge of
              the disc. These tangs lock on to the cross arms which keep the upper disc
              from lifting off when the lower disc pushes the upper or silicone mold up against
              it. Essentially you have a lower disc that is driven upward by air pressure
              (a piston effect) which pushes the two part pie mold up against the top disc
              which is prevented from moving upward by the top disc which is locked into
              place by centripetal force and the cross arms. The top and bottom of the disc
              shaped silicone(rubber) pie mold is pressed together by the two metal discs due
              to air pressure in the air cylinder that drives the bottom disc upward
              .
              Note the insides of the spin caster are at normal atmospheric pressure about
              14.7 pound per square inch. You essentially have a sandwich in which the
              parts are pressed together. Older machines had screw clamps that squeezed the
              parts together, but the operator had no idea how much pressure was being applied
              and casting were good only by a hit and miss system. It was more of an ART to
              guessing how tight tomake the clams. Todays spin casters are more of a
              SCIENCE than the older types.

              I hope this helps. Perhaps someone else can provide a more suscint answer to
              your question.

              Rick Spano

            • Rodney Grantham
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Spanosnu@a... wrote:
                > Rick,
                >
                > A spin caster has a lower disc any where from 12 inches to 18
                inches in
                > diameter that can be raised by air pressure from an air
                compressor. There are
                > several metal crosses usually two tow four that rotate the movable
                disc but is not
                > attached to the disc, These crosses usually have to cross arms.
                The purpose
                > of the cross arms are to keep a top disc from lifting off the
                machine. The top
                > disc has two to four metal radial tangs or fingers extending from
                the edge of
                > the disc. These tangs lock on to the cross arms which keep the
                upper disc
                > from lifting off when the lower disc pushes the upper or silicone
                mold up against
                > it. Essentially you have a lower disc that is driven upward by
                air pressure
                > (a piston effect) which pushes the two part pie mold up against
                the top disc
                > which is prevented from moving upward by the top disc which is
                locked into
                > place by centripetal force and the cross arms. The top and bottom
                of the disc
                > shaped silicone(rubber) pie mold is pressed together by the two
                metal discs due
                > to air pressure in the air cylinder that drives the bottom disc
                upward
                > .
                > Note the insides of the spin caster are at normal atmospheric
                pressure about
                > 14.7 pound per square inch. You essentially have a sandwich in
                which the
                > parts are pressed together. Older machines had screw clamps that
                squeezed the
                > parts together, but the operator had no idea how much pressure was
                being applied
                > and casting were good only by a hit and miss system. It was more
                of an ART to
                > guessing how tight tomake the clams. Todays spin casters are more
                of a
                > SCIENCE than the older types.
                >
                > I hope this helps. Perhaps someone else can provide a more
                suscint answer to
                > your question.
                >
                > Rick Spano

                Hi Rick

                Very interesting explanation. Having seen one of
                these machines "in the flesh" might have been helpful
                when we started building our spin caster. So far
                pressure on the mold hasn't been a problem, but we
                are still in the testing stages. You can see it at
                http://www.granthams.com/Spincast/

                We are using springform pans for the round RTV
                molds and so far the only issue is cutting enough
                vents. Thankfully they're easy to add.

                Any pointers or suggestions about this stuff would
                be most appreciated.

                Rod Grantham
              • james hollister
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Try the "Principals of Centrifugal Rubber mold Casting" by Jerome A. Gonicberg and
                  Marshall L. Ritch. You can learn allot from this book! Check out TEKCAST Inc's web site, they love to talk about themselves and show you how advanced they are, very informative.

                  Good Luck,

                  Jim

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Rodney Grantham
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                    --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, james hollister <poly3dpro@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > Try the "Principals of Centrifugal Rubber mold Casting" by Jerome
                    A. Gonicberg and
                    > Marshall L. Ritch. You can learn allot from this book! Check out
                    TEKCAST Inc's web site, they love to talk about themselves and show
                    you how advanced they are, very informative.

                    > Good Luck,
                    >
                    > Jim

                    Hi Jim

                    Thanks for the heads up about the book, but the
                    books costs over THREE TIMES what we've spent
                    making our spin caster. Here's a link to it,
                    http://snipurl.com/9jet if any folks on this
                    list are interested.

                    Thanks for trying

                    Rod Grantham
                  • Terry Wellman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                      You can purchase the book through Contenti for around $85.00. Tek sells it for about $190.00. I don't know why but Tek is more expensive on a lot of items than many of their competitors.

                      Terry

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                        I should add, ask for John at Contenti. When I last spoke to him about the "Principals of Centrifugal Rubber mold Casting" by Jerome A. Gonicberg and
                        Marshall L. Ritch, he said that they had about 10 copies left. One of the author's was family. There was some talk about reprinting the book.

                        HTH,

                        Terry

                      • katian@waitrose.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
                          Another popular system was one where bob weights were used to push the top
                          down via a heavy "Hat" which had a pouring hole in the middle, it worked
                          through centrifugal force pushing the bob weights outwards attached to arms
                          which pushed the Hat down and centring the hat at the same time. the machine
                          that I saw SHQ use had screw adjustable weights. The arms are mounted on a
                          pivot between two posts there are usually three pairs of posts each with one
                          arm and weight assembly arranged around the lower spinning plate.

                          It made the machine simpler to build than an air actuated machine but not as
                          slow to operate as one with a screw on lid.

                          Ian:O)

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                            The book discussed on the list here, "Principles of Centrifugal
                            Rubber Mold Casting," might be found in any reasonably large library.
                            The University of Iowa does not have the book (pity, I'm 25 miles
                            distant), but the land grant institution, Iowa State University, does
                            (105 miles; oh, well). (Guess a casting book is more likely to be
                            found at a science and technology school. . . .)

                            It's been many a day since I've been enrolled in college, but I was
                            able to get a Guest Library Card from Iowa State and, thus, was able
                            to check out the book today. It was a nice day for a cross-country
                            drive.

                            Also, perhaps your local public library can find a copy of the book
                            and arrange for an interlibrary loan for you. I could easily have
                            done this but was unwilling to wait perhaps as much as two weeks to
                            receive the book.

                            On first perusal, the book appears to be all that it's cracked up to
                            be, that is, the Bible of spincasting. I've scanned into my computer
                            the book's table of contents (four pages). If somoneone would like to
                            see them, I'll send 'em to Pat for uploading to the Files section.

                            -Brian

                            Brian Chapman
                            Cedar Rapids, Iowa

                            ---
                          • Karen Bartholomew
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                              or you can purchase it on amazon:

                              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-3286430-5539332
                              Karen Dietrich
                              KL Keepsakes
                              klfarm@...
                              www.geocities.com/klkeepsakes/chroma

                              > The book discussed on the list here, "Principles of Centrifugal
                              > Rubber Mold Casting," might be found in any reasonably large library.
                              > The University of Iowa does not have the book (pity, I'm 25 miles
                              > distant), but the land grant institution, Iowa State University, does
                              > (105 miles; oh, well). (Guess a casting book is more likely to be
                              > found at a science and technology school. . . .)
                              >
                              > It's been many a day since I've been enrolled in college, but I was
                              > able to get a Guest Library Card from Iowa State and, thus, was able
                              > to check out the book today. It was a nice day for a cross-country
                              > drive.
                              >
                              > Also, perhaps your local public library can find a copy of the book
                              > and arrange for an interlibrary loan for you. I could easily have
                              > done this but was unwilling to wait perhaps as much as two weeks to
                              > receive the book.
                              >
                              > On first perusal, the book appears to be all that it's cracked up to
                              > be, that is, the Bible of spincasting. I've scanned into my computer
                              > the book's table of contents (four pages). If somoneone would like to
                              > see them, I'll send 'em to Pat for uploading to the Files section.
                              >
                              > -Brian
                              >
                              > Brian Chapman
                              > Cedar Rapids, Iowa
                              >

                              > ---
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Brian Chapman
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                Yeah, but, New and Used, beginning at $238.82 . . . wow.

                                Brian Chapman
                                Cedar Rapids, Iowa

                                ---
                              • Karen Bartholomew
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                  actually there was only 1 of these books avail.. Its out of print...
                                  Maybe you could have your library inter loan it?
                                  Good luck
                                  Karen Dietrich

                                • katian@waitrose.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                    Yeah, why not, it will be worth a perusal.

                                    ian:O)

                                    > The book discussed on the list here, "Principles of Centrifugal
                                    > Rubber Mold Casting," might be found in any reasonably large library.
                                    > The University of Iowa does not have the book (pity, I'm 25 miles
                                    > distant), but the land grant institution, Iowa State University, does
                                    > (105 miles; oh, well). (Guess a casting book is more likely to be
                                    > found at a science and technology school. . . .)
                                    >
                                    > It's been many a day since I've been enrolled in college, but I was
                                    > able to get a Guest Library Card from Iowa State and, thus, was able
                                    > to check out the book today. It was a nice day for a cross-country
                                    > drive.
                                    >
                                    > Also, perhaps your local public library can find a copy of the book
                                    > and arrange for an interlibrary loan for you. I could easily have
                                    > done this but was unwilling to wait perhaps as much as two weeks to
                                    > receive the book.
                                    >
                                    > On first perusal, the book appears to be all that it's cracked up to
                                    > be, that is, the Bible of spincasting. I've scanned into my computer
                                    > the book's table of contents (four pages). If somoneone would like to
                                    > see them, I'll send 'em to Pat for uploading to the Files section.
                                    >
                                    > -Brian
                                    >
                                    > Brian Chapman
                                    > Cedar Rapids, Iowa
                                  • james hollister

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 8, 2004
                                        Actually I don't need it- I was trying to help out another intersted party
                                        which was on this list.
                                        Thank you though...
                                        Karen Dietrich
                                        KL Keepsakes
                                        klfarm@...
                                        www.geocities.com/klkeepsakes
                                        ---------------
                                        This communication is confidential and is intended solely for the use of
                                        the designated recipient(s).
                                        > Beg borrow steal, get the book. It's tips can pay you back many times
                                        over. It's hard to hit what your aiming at when the target is always
                                        moving. This book allows you to zero in on perfect parts without the heart
                                        ache.

                                        > Jim
                                        >

                                        > Karen Bartholomew <klfarm@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > actually there was only 1 of these books avail.. Its out of print...
                                        > Maybe you could have your library inter loan it?
                                        > Good luck
                                        > Karen Dietrich

                                      • patrickbeusen
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 10, 2004