Re: [casting] Re: Spin Casting RPM Range

  • Ted Quick
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
      OK, but there are special types of silicone rubber for spincasting metal. They
      tend to be a reddish brown color because they have iron oxide (aka rust) as a
      filler, but at least they're less expensive.....

      Ted Quick

      --- Thom <thomvinson@...> wrote:
      > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Hildreth" <xavier@g...> wrote:
      > > Thom,
      > >
      > > I have been thinking of scratch building a spin caster as
      > well. Would
      > > you want to share your ideas?
      > >
      > > Joe
      >

      > Hey Joe! I was considering using a heavy flywheel, maybe a torque
      > converter (just for the weight) from an automatic transmission. With
      > a heavy enough flywheel, minor weight off balance means little.
      >
      > However after reading everyone elses replies I was beggining to
      > wonder if I might be biting off more than I can chew. I have no
      > doubt that I can make a functional machine but Vulcanising seems to
      > be a much bigger issue than I realised, but then REBendever
      > suggested this:
      >
      > ****
      >
      > >If you are just running experiments, how about RTV instead of
      > >vulcanized
      > >rubber?
      > >
      > >Ben
      >
      > ****
      >
      > Now that just might be the ticket, perhaps even using Quick-Sil in a
      > round cake pan might give me just enough of a mold to cast what I
      > need. . .
      > As I set here thinking about it I am getting more excited about the
      > idea.
      >
      > Thanks Ben!
      >
      > Thom Vinson. . .

      =====
      Ted Quick
      rim_molder@...
      http://neoquick.swiftdialup.net/ Low cost dialup ISP

    • Joe Hildreth
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
        Thom,

        > Hey Joe! I was considering using a heavy flywheel, maybe a torque
        > converter (just for the weight) from an automatic transmission. With
        > a heavy enough flywheel, minor weight off balance means little.

        I am a little dense. I am not picturing in my head your setup. Would you
        explain to me a little more or would you send a sketch?

        > However after reading everyone elses replies I was beggining to
        > wonder if I might be biting off more than I can chew. I have no
        > doubt that I can make a functional machine but Vulcanising seems to
        > be a much bigger issue than I realised, but then REBendever
        > suggested this:

        I have not gave vulcanized rubber molds much thought. I had planned on
        making RTV molds for wax injection then lost wax cast. Although if I were
        going to mass produce a white metal work I suppose I would have to have a
        vulcanized mold.

        In after thought, we may be on two different pages. What I want to build
        is a broken arm centrifugal caster, and you want to build a spin caster. I
        think they are technically two different machines aren't they? Even if they
        are, I would still like to see your plans if you are willing to share them,

        > ****
        >
        > >If you are just running experiments, how about RTV instead of
        > >vulcanized
        > >rubber?
        > >
        > >Ben
        >
        > ****
        >
        > Now that just might be the ticket, perhaps even using Quick-Sil in a
        > round cake pan might give me just enough of a mold to cast what I
        > need. . .
        > As I set here thinking about it I am getting more excited about the
        > idea.

        RTV can make a great white metal mold. I have made a dozen or so of them
        for that purpose. One thing to keep in mind about RTV if you don't already
        know is you will have to have a vaccuum setup to deair the material. There
        are some with lower viscosity that mostly de-air on their own, but given the
        cost of the material it is something to think about.

      • Spanosnu@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hi!

          Spin Casters are used to cast low temp. metals, like lead alloys, tin alloys,
          tin, and zinc alloys etc. A broken arm caster is used to lost wax cast
          brass, bronze, gold and silver. I own the former and have only seen two of the
          latter casters.

          Rick

        • Spanosnu@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
            Hi,

            Who manufactures or sells Qick-Sil? Is it a two part liquid before curing?
            Will it take temperatures about 650 to 700 degrees F.?

            Thanks Much,

            Rick Spano

          • Thom
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
              --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Spanosnu@a... wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > Who manufactures or sells Qick-Sil? Is it a two part liquid
              before curing?

              Castaldo makes Quick-Sil and the only place I have found that sells
              it is:

              http://www.miniaturemolds.com/

              Not sure about the tmep range right at the momment but I use it to
              cast Lead-Tin Alloys blended (Cut with) Pewter, without any sign of
              heat problems. It is a two part putty which you squeeze/press to to
              remove voids without vulcanising. . .

              Thom. . .
            • Spanosnu@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2004